Is a little bit of optimism too much to ask?

Dave

Guest neesy111

would fan's rather us spend money on trophy signings and offering them big wages and then flop or build upsurely and then attract players for the right reason's (i.e. for being in europe etc)?

Can't believe I'm doing this but.....

Define a trophy signing.

Is it a big name player who we sign on big wages - if so step forward Mr Shearer

Is it a big name player signed for the hell of it when other places needed filling - if so step forward Mr Luque

Or is it a player who has won trophies? - Erm.......

I actually agree with NE5 on the Trphy signing rubbish. If a player is good then a large price tag does not constitute a trophy signing (see Coloccino).

A trophy signing for me is a signing which did not need to be made but the club are showing off (a bit like Veron for Man U)

edit - not necessarily aimed at the poster, just quoting a post with the term in it

going out spending 16 million on owen when we could of got him for cheaper and they we're equally as good players available (i.e. keane & anelka) available for 1/2 of that

I was going to include Owen but...

We needed to replace Bellamy and/or Shearer which was always going to cost big money. There was the injury factor with Owen, but he was pretty much a guaranteed hit when playing.

And we don't know for sure how much cheaper we may have been able to get him for, Liverpool didn't have a bid accepted afaik, he was given permission to talk to them but (similar to Arshavin and Spurs) a fee would still have to be agreed upon.

Hence I discluded him!

well the fact that he cost real 8 million just a season ago, 12 million was more acceptable price

that luque signing was defo one, remember we wanted boa motre but shepherd didn't think he was a high enough profile player ffs

l

I see what you're saying, but he was in the last year of his contract at the Dippers and was undervalued there rather than overvalued when we bought him.

they we're panic trophy signings, as they happened within the last days of the transfer window and we're used to sell season tickets and shirts

making a trophy signing is good, but do it at the right time although i do suspect we will make 1 big buy this summer, but it will be in the lines of an young player with potential

would fan's rather us spend money on trophy signings and offering them big wages and then flop or build upsurely and then attract players for the right reason's (i.e. for being in europe etc)?

Define a trophy signing.

Is it a big name player who we sign on big wages - if so step forward Mr Shearer

Is it a big name player signed for the hell of it when other places needed filling - if so step forward Mr Luque

I actually agree with NE5 on the Trphy signing rubbish. If a player is good then a large price tag does not constitute a trophy signing (see Coloccino).

A trophy signing for me is a signing which did not need to be made but the club are showing off (a bit like Veron for Man U)

edit - not necessarily aimed at the poster, just quoting a post with the term in it

going out spending 16 million on owen when we could of got him for cheaper and they we're equally as good players available (i.e. keane & anelka) available for 1/2 of that

We needed to replace Bellamy and/or Shearer which was always going to cost big money. There was the injury factor with Owen, but he was pretty much a guaranteed hit when playing.

And we don't know for sure how much cheaper we may have been able to get him for, Liverpool didn't have a bid accepted afaik, he was given permission to talk to them but (similar to Arshavin and Spurs) a fee would still have to be agreed upon.

Hence I discluded him!

well the fact that he cost real 8 million just a season ago, 12 million was more acceptable price

that luque signing was defo one, remember we wanted boa motre but shepherd didn't think he was a high enough profile player ffs

l

I see what you're saying, but he was in the last year of his contract at the Dippers and was undervalued there rather than overvalued when we bought him.

they we're panic trophy signings, as they happened within the last days of the transfer window and we're used to sell season tickets and shirts

making a trophy signing is good, but do it at the right time although i do suspect we will make 1 big buy this summer, but it will be in the lines of an young player with potential

We were after Owen most of that Summer

Define a trophy signing.

Hence I discluded him!

l

We were after Owen most of that Summer

From around the Christmas time iirc.

The Owen signing was a feelgood signing and underlined a lot wrong with the club at the time. It was daft money paid on one player because it looked spectacular. A sensible approach would have been to strengthen the squad by buying 2-3 players of decent quality if buying Owen meant we couldn't afford anyone else.

I'm optimistic about us not being a team that's going to get bowled over with ease for once; we're not going to break records this season but we're going to be a difficult team to beat. We've made good signings so far, including Coloccini, with a couple more good signings to come imo. Like i said here, now that we've finally got the defense sorted out, and the strikers just about sorted out - we've got a very good basis to build on from here. We're not going to break into the top 6 with this centre-midfield though but that time will come. I'm excited for the long term future.

I'm chuffed that we've finally got our defense sorted. One more wing-back and we're complete for a good long while then i think. It gives us really good grounds to push on. The midfield isn't there yet, but the striking department probably only needs one more major investment in the next season or two, given the ageing Viduka. There's still a few other teams that are that one step ahead of us atm. Finishing 8th or 9th come May maybe a bit underwhelming for one or two around here, but it'd be about right for where we are atm and a good foundation to kick on. Providing we've got a shot at Intertoto, we'll be reet.

The Owen signing was a feelgood signing and underlined a lot wrong with the club at the time. It was daft money paid on one player because it looked spectacular. A sensible approach would have been to strengthen the squad by buying 2-3 players of decent quality if buying Owen meant we couldn't afford anyone else.

We spent £6m on Parker, £4m on Emre, £10m on Luque.

On top of the £8m spent on Boumsong in the January

Signing Owen didn't prevent us from buying others

We spent £6m on Parker, £4m on Emre, £10m on Luque.

On top of the £8m spent on Boumsong in the January

Signing Owen didn't prevent us from buying others

He did in the respect that we could have bought three players with the money rather than just one. Not that it would have mattered given that it was Souness.

But everyone's writing us off, even our own fans. And it's getting right on my tits.

sheesh i hear you !

Instead of a "the media - we hate newcastle" thread, we should have "the fans - we hate newcastle" thread

cant wait for first game. at least then the pessimists can start moaning about tactics etc

But everyone's writing us off, even our own fans. And it's getting right on my tits.

sheesh i hear you !

Instead of a "the media - we hate newcastle" thread, we should have "the fans - we hate newcastle" thread

cant wait for first game. at least then the pessimists can start moaning about tactics etc

Oh aye, that'll help. :lol:

I'm looking forward to the second game, me.

I'm optimistic about us not being a team that's going to get bowled over with ease for once; we're not going to break records this season but we're going to be a difficult team to beat. We've made good signings so far, including Coloccini, with a couple more good signings to come imo. Like i said here, now that we've finally got the defense sorted out, and the strikers just about sorted out - we've got a very good basis to build on from here. We're not going to break into the top 6 with this centre-midfield though but that time will come. I'm excited for the long term future.

I don't agree that the strikers are sorted out. If either Owen or Martins are injured we are short on numbers. We need another one in before the window closes.

Guest want_nufc_to_be_big_club

We all have to be optimistic but we also need to be realistic about things.

We are still short on numbers and it will be big surprise to everyone if we dont lose against man utd and arsenal.

Im still optimistic about this season and hope we can get to Europe or do something historical like wining the FA or Carling Cup.

One thing is in our advantage.Nobody is expecting something big from us this season.

Howay the lads :clap: :clap: :clap:

Those "2-3 players of decent quality" gets you a mid table team at best. We'd had a bad season, but we still had one of the better squads in the league at that time and we needed to replace Shearer. It wasn't "daft money", and it wasn't done to look spectacular. Although it doesn't hurt to have a big name player like Owen in you team, that was by no means the main reason he was signed.

Maybe instead of buying Coloccini we should have bought "2-3 defenders of decent quality" to "strengthen the squad" instead? No. Buying a load of "decent quality" players every year gets you absolutely nowhere unless you are a scouting genius or get very lucky. I'd far rather we spent the budget on 2-3 quality "trophy signings" than 6-7 players that might be a bit better than what we have and "improve the squad" but bloat the wage bill.

Talking of Shearer, he was the ultimate "trophy signing" yet I don't see too many complaining about that.

Those "2-3 players of decent quality" gets you a mid table team at best. We'd had a bad season, but we still had one of the better squads in the league at that time and we needed to replace Shearer.

Maybe instead of buying Coloccini we should have bought "2-3 defenders of decent quality" to "strengthen the squad" instead? No. Buying a load of "decent quality" players every year gets you absolutely nowhere unless you are a scouting genius or get very lucky. I'd far rather we spent the budget on 2-3 quality "trophy signings" than 6-7 players that might be a bit better than what we have and "improve the squad" but bloat the wage bill.

Talking of Shearer, he was the ultimate "trophy signing" yet I don't see too many complaining about that.

Buying Shearer was adding to an already strong squad. If he didn't arrive we still had Ferdinand, Beardsley and Asprilla. If we spent £17m on one player -Owen -  and he was injured, who were our back up strikers?

I don't agree that the strikers are sorted out. If either Owen or Martins are injured we are short on numbers. We need another one in before the window closes.

I didn't say they were.

I'm chuffed that we've finally got our defense sorted. One more wing-back and we're complete for a good long while then i think. It gives us really good grounds to push on. The midfield isn't there yet, but the striking department probably only needs one more major investment in the next season or two, given the ageing Viduka. There's still a few other teams that are that one step ahead of us atm. Finishing 8th or 9th come May maybe a bit underwhelming for one or two around here, but it'd be about right for where we are atm and a good foundation to kick on. Providing we've got a shot at Intertoto, we'll be reet.

In any case, I would say agree that signing a decent striker is at least as important as a creative midfielder. We have other options in midfield, we have Smith and Ameobi up front.

Guest diddimz

Can't wait for the new season, been times lately I've felt nervous about it I'll admit, but when all is said and done, I feel we are moving in the right direction, with a manager I completely trust, and what have we got to lose so we might as well enjoy it.

This thread is predictable in the extreme. A rallying call from the leader of the congregation.

I'm not going to rain on the parade here, just wanted to add a bit of realism to things.

We are all football fanatics here, we hate the close season, it's natural with only a week now of waiting to go that'll we'll be excited about the coming season.

But it's been a terrible pre season in my book, we still have not strengthen enough, Colocini isn't a NUFC player yet and even when he does sign we'll still be 2 or 3 players short IMO. The first choice 11 has not and will not play together before the season begins, we are ill prepared for the challenge ahead IMO.

I'm excited for another new season but not optimistic about NUFC and pretty resigned to us being slow out of the box.

With the current squad of players, assuming Colocini does sign, I think we'll finish around 12th again, that doesn't excite me, sorry.

Here's my current (i reserve the right to change my opinion as clubs make more moves in the transfer market) prediction for the league next season:

1. Chelsea

2. Manure

3. Arsenal

4. Liverpool

5. Spuds

6. Villa

7. Man Shitty

8. Pompey

9. Everton

10. West Ham

11. Fulham

12. NUFC

13. Mackem bastards

14. Smoggies

15. Blackburn

16. Wigan

17. Bolton

18. WBA

19. Stoke

20. Hull

i've always taken your posts with a pinch of salt, you've just said fulham are going to finish ahead of us this season, now i just think you're a lunatic

Hehe, i knew that would get a response, there is method in my madness though. I think Roy Hodgson is a very good and underated manager, I think they've made a lot of changes and spent the money pretty well this close season (although paying 11 mill for Johnson is a little extreme). I'm possibly overplaying them here but there's always at least one team that hit's heights it was not expected to, and looking around I think Fulham could be that team next year.

Oh and thanks for the vote of confidence, I've always appreciated your extremely worthwile contributions to this forum.  :rolleyes:

This thread is predictable in the extreme. A rallying call from the leader of the congregation.

I'm 'the leader' of nothing. And if it's so predictable, why bother reading it?