Is a little bit of optimism too much to ask?

Dave

This thread is predictable in the extreme. A rallying call from the leader of the congregation.

I'm 'the leader' of nothing. And if it's so predictable, why bother reading it?

I didn't say it wasn't an interesting post, it's a good rallying call, with a feelgood factor.

I think a lot of people respect what you have to say and adopt your opionions as their own. It's a complement, I wish I was as well respected and not this ridiculed piece of crap that everyone makes fun at  :-[ :'(

This thread is predictable in the extreme. A rallying call from the leader of the congregation.

I didn't say it wasn't an interesting post, it's a good rallying call, with a feelgood factor.

I think a lot of people respect what you have to say and adopt your opionions as their own. It's a complement, I wish I was as well respected and not this ridiculed piece of crap that everyone makes fun at  :-[ :'(

I want to buy you this for all the wrong doing.

http://www.wayodd.com/funny-pictures2/funny-pictures-poo-head-099.jpg

I want to buy you this for all the wrong doing.

http://www.wayodd.com/funny-pictures2/funny-pictures-poo-head-099.jpg

LOL

Well I don't think that's the case at all, but there you go.

I'm just fed up of the negativity surrounding every single thing to do with the club at the moment. I can't wait to get back into going to watch the team play, so I thought I'd make a thread about it.

I'll be sure to ask your permission before I do so next time. :thup:

i've always taken your posts with a pinch of salt, you've just said fulham are going to finish ahead of us this season, now i just think you're a lunatic

Hehe, i knew that would get a response, there is method in my madness though. I think Roy Hodgson is a very good and underated manager, I think they've made a lot of changes and spent the money pretty well this close season (although paying 11 mill for Johnson is a little extreme). I'm possibly overplaying them here but there's always at least one team that hit's heights it was not expected to, and looking around I think Fulham could be that team next year.

Oh and thanks for the vote of confidence, I've always appreciated your extremely worthwile contributions to this forum.  :rolleyes:

huge difference between saying i take things people say with a pinch of salt and that i dont think their contributions are worthwhile. there's posters on here who have worthwhile things to say but 90% of the time they talk bollocks, for whatever reason. no offence was  intended

I'm just fed up of the negativity surrounding every single thing to do with the club at the moment. I can't wait to get back into going to watch the team play, so I thought I'd make a thread about it.

You see that's where you've taken me wrong. I know I'm like a bull in a china shop sometimes. I'm not having a go at the thread, it's a perfectly fine thread, it's is predictable though that IMO someone would start one like this. It happens almost every year.

For me though there are two seperate things:

One thing that excites me is that Footie is back.

One thing that makes me aprehensive and nervous and pessimistic is that we are not bloody ready for it :(

Completely agree with you Dave. What i have noticed is that the negativity is on this football forum more than anywhere else. Don't seem to see it as much amongst friends or actually at the games.

I'm not worried about next season in the slightest, very much looking forward to it.

i've always taken your posts with a pinch of salt, you've just said fulham are going to finish ahead of us this season, now i just think you're a lunatic

Hehe, i knew that would get a response, there is method in my madness though. I think Roy Hodgson is a very good and underated manager, I think they've made a lot of changes and spent the money pretty well this close season (although paying 11 mill for Johnson is a little extreme). I'm possibly overplaying them here but there's always at least one team that hit's heights it was not expected to, and looking around I think Fulham could be that team next year.

Oh and thanks for the vote of confidence, I've always appreciated your extremely worthwile contributions to this forum.  :rolleyes:

huge difference between saying i take things people say with a pinch of salt and that i dont think their contributions are worthwhile. there's posters on here who have worthwhile things to say but 90% of the time they talk bollocks, for whatever reason. no offence was  intended

OK non taken. I just want some loving man, even NE5 got some a while ago, why not bloody me :)

You see that's where you've taken me wrong. I know I'm like a bull in a china shop sometimes. I'm not having a go at the thread, it's a perfectly fine thread, it's is predictable though that IMO someone would start one like this. It happens almost every year.

One thing that makes me aprehensive and nervous and pessimistic is that we are not bloody ready for it :(

We were ready last season and look how that turned out

It's all about the signings no matter when they come in, if Keegan can get the level we've been seeing we have nowt to worry about.

I think Fulham have wasted money. Coleman must feel like a massive injustice has been done, since he was given fuck all to spend for years and did a great job but then Sanchez & Hodgson get fairly decent slices to be mostly wasted.

In your opinion and it's this negative false opinion that i believe Dave is reffering to.

Kevin Keegan will be undoubtedly ready, that's what should matter to you, nothing else.

We were ready last season and look how that turned out

It's all about the signings no matter when they come in, if Keegan can get the level we've been seeing we have nowt to worry about.

Is it shite all about the signings, i'm sick of hearing it. Last seasons failure was not down to personel which KK proved when he turned our results and performances around.

The reason we fell short of our league targets were because of;

Sam Allardyce

and more specifically his tactics, fitness, use of our talent, motivation and negativity.

None of which KK won't have us prepared for.

In your opinion and it's this negative false opinion that i believe Dave is reffering to.

Kevin Keegan will be undoubtedly ready, that's what should matter to you, nothing else.

How is one opinion true and the other false ? They are both opinions, they are therefore both correct in each person's eyes.

The accepting of other peoples opinions is something that footie forums in general don't do a good job at. It's not the forum's fault of course it's the people posting.

Back to the point, I'm still to be convinced that we are ready for the season, which is one week away. The squad isn't big enough, the quality that we can put out on the field consistently is not there. All in my opinion.

With K.K's avowed intent to bring in 2 perhaps 3 more signings, we are woefully poor squadwise.

Even if he fills the three positions next week, that is no way to prepare for the premiership.  We are running to stay in the same spot, only this time the motivation is different.

How is one opinion true and the other false ? They are both opinions, they are therefore both correct in each person's eyes.

The accepting of other peoples opinions is something that footie forums in general don't do a good job at. It's not the forum's fault of course it's the people posting.

Back to the point, I'm still to be convinced that we are ready for the season, which is one week away. The squad isn't big enough, the quality that we can put out on the field consistently is not there. All in my opinion.

Apoligies, false wasn't the correct word.

Imagine last season KK had exactly the same squad of players, except for the whole season. Now do you think he would have finished top half? because i am in no doubt that we would have.

If you look at the squad now, it hasn't got any bigger but it is better (IMO). Out's: Emre, Ramage, Rozehnal, Carr all of which played next to no part last season.

Yet we have brought in 3 new faces, with Coloccini expected to be added too. Now i'm not going to try and convince you that we will be a great side or infact that i will be happy about not adding more to the squad. What i am saying is, because of the above, there are reasons to be optimistic. 

With K.K's avowed intent to bring in 2 perhaps 3 more signings, we are woefully poor squadwise.

Even if he fills the three positions next week, that is no way to prepare for the premiership.  We are running to stay in the same spot, only this time the motivation is different.

As well as teamwork, style, fitness and quality. You don't seem to have alot of faith in Kevin Keegan. Maybe that is the reason for all this pessimism.

Can't say I agree with this. I think that with a couple of good, first-team quality signings we'd have plenty of cause for optimism for the coming season.

Obviously our preperation for the August schedule isn't very good, but realistically anything more than 3 points from those 3 games would be fantastic, so it's not as important as most years.

I think we're set for keepers and in defence, assuming Collocini comes in and maybe a squad player who can play left-back.

The key is what system we're playing IMO, if it's the 4-3-3 we finished last year with then one more signing would do me.

In midfield we've Butt and Guthrie to fight it out for the holding role, with Barton, Milner, N'Zogbia, Geremi and Spiderman vying for the spots flanking them in the midfield three.

Then up top we've Viduka, Owen, Martins and Duff (I hope to see him used as back-up to Martins, in a sort of wide striker role with a target man ala Viduka to play off). If we can sell Smith and get in someone to challenge Viduka for his spot as target man then it's not too bad by any means. Baptista, if available, would be perfect because he could play up front or fill in for Owen in the deep striker role should Owen be absent.

If we're going for a 4-4-2 then we need a starting quality CM rather than a forward, and then also a 4th choice striker, but I hope that won't bethe case personally.

I think some peoples' pesimism stems from the fact that spurs- a team that finished one place above us last season- have bought very, very well while we've 'stagnated' somewhat.

We've done an okay job in this window (perhaps my expections at the start were unceremoniously lifted by talks of getting turan, modric , aimar etc.) but we've focused on the wrong areas... We need creativity. Yes its been said countless times, but thats because its so bleeding obvious; i just hope king kev makes a purchase that addresses this major flaw.

Fuck it though :), we can always expect an exciting ride  with KK at the helm- and if anything that's something to be giddy about

Apoligies, false wasn't the correct word.

Imagine last season KK had exactly the same squad of players, except for the whole season. Now do you think he would have finished top half? because i am in no doubt that we would have.

If you look at the squad now, it hasn't got any bigger but it is better (IMO). Out's: Emre, Ramage, Rozehnal, Carr all of which played next to no part last season.

Yet we have brought in 3 new faces, with Coloccini expected to be added too. Now i'm not going to try and convince you that we will be a great side or infact that i will be happy about not adding more to the squad. What i am saying is, because of the above, there are reasons to be optimistic. 

I honestly don't think we would have finished a lot higher than where we did.

KK did a great job, don't get me wrong but he also got lucky with injuries, Viduka and Owen were so crucial to us and they stayed fir for a while during that run. When they weren't fit we weren't up to the task and I doubt they would have stayed fit for the whole season because KK was manager rather than SA.

The first team we have when everyone is fit, is not bad at all, comfortably a top 7 or 8 team IMO. But our problem has been getting them fit and playing on a regular basis. We have no quality in the squad to fill in for the frequent absenses of certain key players.

There is also a glaring hole in the centre midfield for a quality playmaker that we can funnell play through, that should have been filled by now.

We haven't been able to use the pre-season games to determine a formation that we'll play and the players that will fulfill the roles. I can see us using the August games to decide on our formation and a first 11. I hope I'm wrong and our progress is further on than I am seeing and that it's easy for any new player to drop into the way we will play. And tbf in KK's first stint it was easy for the likes of Lee, Sellars and Cole to hit the ground running when they belatedly join the promotion party. 

I think some peoples' pesimism stems from the fact that spurs- a team that finished one place above us last season- have bought very, very well while we've 'stagnated' somewhat.

We've done an okay job in this window (perhaps my expections at the start were unceremoniously lifted by talks of getting turan, modric , aimar etc.) but we've focused on the wrong areas... We need creativity. Yes its been said countless times, but thats because its so bleeding obvious; i just hope king kev makes a purchase that addresses this major flaw.

Fuck it though :), we can always expect an exciting ride  with KK at the helm- and if anything that's something to be giddy about

Thing is, i think we are all trying to second guess KK, which won't ever work. He's always been a guy to make strange looking choices. For example if i was him, i would be going all out for attacking talent but it seems obvious KK is focusing slightly more on the defence. I think he believes his side will always attack and score goals, therefore it's a bigger priority to sort the defence.

Can't say I agree with this. I think that with a couple of good, first-team quality signings we'd have plenty of cause for optimism for the coming season.

Obviously our preperation for the August schedule isn't very good, but realistically anything more than 3 points from those 3 games would be fantastic, so it's not as important as most years.

I think we're set for keepers and in defence, assuming Collocini comes in and maybe a squad player who can play left-back.

The key is what system we're playing IMO, if it's the 4-3-3 we finished last year with then one more signing would do me.

In midfield we've Butt and Guthrie to fight it out for the holding role, with Barton, Milner, N'Zogbia, Geremi and Spiderman vying for the spots flanking them in the midfield three.

Then up top we've Viduka, Owen, Martins and Duff (I hope to see him used as back-up to Martins, in a sort of wide striker role with a target man ala Viduka to play off). If we can sell Smith and get in someone to challenge Viduka for his spot as target man then it's not too bad by any means. Baptista, if available, would be perfect because he could play up front or fill in for Owen in the deep striker role should Owen be absent.

If we're going for a 4-4-2 then we need a starting quality CM rather than a forward, and then also a 4th choice striker, but I hope that won't bethe case personally.

Guthrie doesn't look physical enough to be a holding player, at least not yet. Butt, along with Geremi and Barton are either too old or too slow to be playing week in week out in the same team. Duff isn't a striker and Viduka won't play much, so there's plenty room for improvement to that squad.

Guthrie doesn't look physical enough to be a holding player, at least not yet. Butt, along with Geremi and Barton are either too old or too slow to be playing week in week out in the same team. Duff isn't a striker and Viduka won't play much, so there's plenty room for improvement to that squad.

There's always room for improvement of course, but it's hardly a bad situation is it?

Butt, Barton and Geremi did pretty well in the same team at the back end of last season as it happens, and now all three will have a fair fight on their hands to even get a place in the team. So I think it's fair to say we've improved there surely?

As I said an alternative to Viduka is absolutely crucial, and if we don't get it we're in trouble.

As for Duff, I'm not advocating playing him as an out and out striker by any means but as part of a front three I think he can be alright, drifting wide to help provide a bit of width. Played some of the best football of his career in that position for Ireland.

My concerns are the same as last season, i.e., the midfield lacks legs through the middle. Butt, Geremi and Barton are all a bit pedestrian especially when played in the same team. On the plus side, Jonas looks quick so we are pretty well served out wide now.