The squad

Benwell Lad

Given,  Harper,  Krul,  Fraser

Enrique,  Cacapa,  Beye,  Faye,  Taylor,  Edgar,  Bassong,  Coloccini.

Barton,  Guthrie,  Duff,  Zog,  Milner,  Gutierrez,  Geremi,  Butt,

Martins,  Owen,  Smith,  Shola,  Viduka,  Carroll.

Plus a few other young uns and maybe a couple more shrewd acquisitions, not the worst squad in the PL by a long way and definitely the best in the north east.

Can we be allowed just a tiny bit of optimism for the new season ?

Our goalie ranks must be up there with the top 3!!

Our defence is top 6

Our midfield is mid table mediocrity

Our forward line is top 6

Our goalies are top3

Our defence is top 10, because our central defenders are not good enough yet.

Our Midfield(especially central midfield) are our weakest spot in the team right now. We need a good DMC(Butt is to old, dont even rate cacapa in this role), and a creative midfielder.

Our forward line is top 6 when they are not injured, otherwise like top 10.

If Cacapa, Geremi, Butt, Shola and Smith were replaced with better and younger players, we really would have a pretty strong and youthful squad.

Having said that I really think Butt and Geremi have alot more to offer than just playing.  They have both played for the biggest clubs and won honors.  Having people like that in the squad is absolutely essential.  For those reasons alone, I think people should give them a little more respect.

If Cacapa, Geremi, Butt, Shola and Smith were replaced with better and younger players, we really would have a pretty strong and youthful squad.

Having said that I really think Butt and Geremi have alot more to offer than just playing.  They have both played for the biggest clubs and won honors.  Having people like that in the squad is absolutely essential.  For those reasons alone, I think people should give them a little more respect.

How come Cacapa doesn't fit into the Butt/Geremi category then?

I'm happier about the state of the club and squad than I have been since Sir Bobby's days. Ignoring the two early away games, if we can pick up a few points before end of October then we will have Viduka and Barton back and the team will look a lot healthier.