Your city.

brummie

Is even better than it was when i was a student there 20 years ago.

Went up there yesterday for the first proper visit since I left 18 years ago, after 4 brilliant years, and had a really good time (see "Hotels" thread). Stayed at the Malmaison, which was nice (stayed at the one in Brum before, seems to have the same darkness / purple thing going on).

Revisited some of the old haunts, was nice to see the Egypt Cottage is still there, shlepped around Jesmond and Heaton a bit, even took a brief trip to Bensham, where I also lived. Was surprised to see that the immediate area actually looked worse than it did in 1989, although some of the worst flats on that main road have gone, which is good.

Went to the Baltic this morning, and was incredibly impressed, that place would be a jewel for any British city, London included.

Was pretty impressed with the changes on the Quayside (very much like Brindleyplace up here, if you've ever been there), nice mixture of new stuff and renovated old buildings. When I left the city the first new bars were just opening up there, so was interesting to see how things have developed. Had a very nice meal in Gusto last night, would recommend that place. Also, that Bar Luga place up on Grey Street is very nice indeed.

It was the first time the Mrs had ever been there, and she too was very impressed with the city.

All in all, a massive  :thup: - was definitely the right decision to be a student up there, and would recommend anyone thinking of doing the same to do it 20 years on.

Oh, is Greggs originally a Geordie thing?

The Mrs couldn't believe how many branches there were. I seem to remember Greggs getting many mentions in the context of FFS. It kind of makes sense now ;)

t'is a geordie thing but in leeds they did have an identical operation called thurstons.

divvent tell every bugger man....we'll be ower ran.

Oh, actually, that reminds me, the one thing I wasn't hugely impressed with was the number of stag and hen parties rolling around town, bedecked in matching t-shirts / fancy dress. I wish the city council could impose some kind of "taste restriction" on them ;)

The Mrs couldn't believe how many branches there were. I seem to remember Greggs getting many mentions in the context of FFS. It kind of makes sense now ;)

t'is a geordie thing but in leeds they did have an identical operation called thurstons.

Don't get me wrong, there's loads of them down here now too, just the concentration up there made me think that's their "homeland"

Don't get me wrong, there's loads of them down here now too, just the concentration up there made me think that's their "homeland"

yeah it's greggs of gosforth. (however for a concentration of them subway is kicking them in the balls)

There is a Greggs in Antwerp :yikes:

4 in belgium according to the website

(sad! fucking achingly sad that i'm checking stuff like that just gone 10-30pm on a saturday night :blush:)

When I first moved to Solihull mate, was walking up the High Street with my parents when I see "Braggs". Same logo and lettering style. Basically identical barring the slight change in name. Found that funny- not sure why. They changed their name to Greggs about 4/5 years ago.

Not sure what the connection was business wise

When I first moved to Solihull mate, was walking up the High Street with my parents when I see "Braggs". Same logo and lettering style. Basically identical barring the slight change in name. Found that funny- not sure why. They changed their name to Greggs about 4/5 years ago.

exactly as the leeds thurstons as i was saying earlier,same bags,same uniforms,same design.slight difference in food.

exactly as the leeds thurstons as i was saying earlier,same bags,same uniforms,same design.slight difference in food.

And the Thurstons brand name still exists ?

Would be interested to know why Braggs became Greggs

And the Thurstons brand name still exists ?

Would be interested to know why Braggs became Greggs

no idea....i'm quite pleased to say i haven't been to leeds in about 5 years

Byker Dummy = Greggs sausage roll

:lol:

I see you've got the Profanisaurus aswell mate?

Also, Im sure Greggs owns all Bakers Ovens aswell.  The ones up in Geordieland have been rebranded but in Yorkshire and elswhere I believe they are still under the name of Bakers Oven.

It's an amazing city. The centre is really special with a good mix of old and new now.

the city centre is also surprisingly and comfortably small.

Indeed, lived right in the centre for a little while and everything was a 10 minute walk away. Love that slope going down towards the river, under the bridge and along the quayside.

Byker Dummy = Greggs sausage roll

:lol:

I see you've got the Profanisaurus aswell mate?

Also, Im sure Greggs owns all Bakers Ovens aswell.  The ones up in Geordieland have been rebranded but in Yorkshire and elswhere I believe they are still under the name of Bakers Oven.

Yes they do.  Bakers Oven in Newcastle used to be Carricks but then they were bought out by Greggs.