Newcastle United 3-0 Portsmouth - Post Match Thoughts.

BlufPurdi

christ, the pompey commentators wouldnt shut up about it. i really want to see a video of it.

Was a ridiculous dive but the ref gave nowt and play continued.... then Rossi buried the chance. Can't see what they were complaining about, it wasn't given. Pair of clits.  :roll:

nah, one's a hemorrhoid...     blueeek.gif

:winking:

My mistake. One was a clit, one was a bum-grape.  :winking:

I hope its sooner than another 12 or 15 games Park'n'ride.

Two thoughts on seeing the goals, Rossi's turn and shot was excellent but where the **** did nobby learn to head like that???

...Shearer? He's been giving crosses to Shearer for years....maybe he saw him score enough headers to learn.

Guest The Fox

Excellent result, good to see Rossi get a decent chance.

Difficult draw next round, simply because its away and they are a direct side.

The other difficulty will be maintaining this form not just against Charlton and Sheff Utd but harder games to come. Therein lies the tale.

Guest Magnetic North

Oh God yeah, he should be ashamed. I mean no one else dives. :roll:

Yeah he dived, it's not nice, but he didn't get booked and i'm not complaining. He won't do it again.

But it's not the first time. This is the 3rd, and he's not yet 21. For a centre-back to be getting a reputation like that is shocking.

The lad's a hybrid mix of tank and thespian. An unlikely combo.

The dive was shocking but he was very very lucky to stay on the pitch after the elbow he gave out  in the first half, right infront of the linesman too, fk knows how he got away with that.

He was miles better than Carr but he really needs to cutt all these stupid things he does out of his game.

Thank fook for that. bluelaugh.gif

Highlights are on ITV1 at 11pm.

First-half diagnosis?

We were comfortable. Bramble was rock solid ;)

Second-half diagnosis?

Finally some good forward display. Very pleased with the goals.

Full-time diagnosis?

Finally a win with a good display. Evidently we have players with much better ball control than Portsmouth. But to be honest I wouldn't want to predict the results with the same sides were to meet each other again in a good weather. I reckon the muddy pitch helped us a lot because we won a lot of possession by closing the oppositions down and hence forcing them to miscontrol the ball.

Star man for United?

Giuseppi Rossi - Best forward in the club without a doubt. Fantastic ball control, fantastic positioning. Now Roeder has no more excuse not to start him in following matches. Man of the Match.

Charles N'Zogbia - a good center midfielder display from Zog of the Tyne. Finally resumes his oldself of beating players after players.

James Milner - Undoubtedly less refined than Rossi, Zog, Solano etc but he is still a willing runner and contributer. Quiet first half due to being out of position. Dangerous 2nd half where his runnings and crossings pose much menace.

Damien Duff - Intelligent.

Titus Bramble - Still some silly errors, but overall a rock at the back.

Steven Taylor - Thousand miles better than Carr.

Worst United player?

Celestine Babayaro - Defensively out of position. Helpful going forward tohugh.

Nicky Butt - Contributed nothing.

Opposition comment?

Sol Campbell and Kanu are trully indispensable in Porsmouth. Sometimes they show glimsps of their calmness that enable them to do well in the premiership. But ultimately they do not put in as much effort as us and they deserve the lose.

Toon-pros?

We have some good foward players as I always say. We can play good fluid attacking football and finally we showed it last night. Rossi is a star.

Toon-cons?

None particularly. Left back maybe !?

Post-match feelings?

I believe Roeder will make a good coach, and I still do. However, Shepherd Out without a doubt!!!

One things for sure. Seppe Rossi showed more in 90 minutes than Oba Martins has done all season. I'm not thrilled that we've resorted to loaning players off Man Utd, but to be fair the kid looked outstanding. What impressed me was his enthusiasm and the fact that he wanted the ball all the time.

Oba take note.

I'll be very disappointed if Rossi doesnt start the majority of games up till January, considering Shola's injury. I'm also keeping my fingers crossed for Dyer. He showed last night just what we've been missing in central midfield. I'd have him and Parker as my first chocie centre mid pairing when he gets back to full match fitness,

That is very very unfair to Martins. Martins showed good movement, bravery, effort and class in the first half.

Since he came to Newcastle Martins has tried a few chips. When would you see Ameobi doing that? That's the difference. Ameobi is an untalented hardworking striker, whereas Martins is an unlucky talented hardworking striker.

Keep the faith on Martins.

That is very very unfair to Martins. Martins showed good movement, bravery, effort and class in the first half.

Since he came to Newcastle Martins has tried a few chips. When would you see Ameobi doing that? That's the difference. Ameobi is an untalented hardworking striker, whereas Martins is an unlucky talented hardworking striker.

Keep the faith on Martins.

I agree that he's talented but hardworking? Gerraway man, he looks bone idle most of the time. He's got bags of pace but we've hardly seen it! I really want the lad to succeed but he's been a let down so far. A goal at West Ham handed to him on a plate and two (albeit well taken) goals v the minnows of Tallin is not good enough.

Since Martins arrived, he's attempted more chips than Shola. Scored less goals though. And what's the point in attempting to (and failing btw) compare our new £10million striker to a lad who should be number four at best at a club like ours? I'm not writing Martins off yet though.

tbh I always tghought Shearer's weakness was that he never attempted enough chips. In fact did he ever score one in his career at Newcastle?

Overrated!

Guest Kenton Magpie

He needs to learn to run at defenders without worrying about losing the ball, he's far from justified his £10m price tag

Guest Gemmill

with gravy on top  :roll:

So Gemmil you would rather play Ameobi / Sibierski instead of Martins?

No, I'd rather Martins started looking like £10m worth of striker by running off the ball and running with the ball.  Basically I'd like him to use this pace that he's got to hurt the opposition, something which we've seen very very little of.

Not that I am saying I prefer unsuccessful chips than goals.

But Martins has been very unlucky with goals. He has shown many potentials and attributes of a good forward - attempt on chips being one example.

Shevchenko, Berbatov, Bellamy etc have also scored very little this season. But would you want to have them in your squad? I would, definitely. They have shown enough potentials and qualities, they are just being unlucky with goals and injuries at the moment!

Guest Gemmill

Not that I am saying I prefer unsuccessful chips than goals.

But Martins has been very unlucky with goals. He has shown many potentials and attributes of a good forward - attempt on chips being one example.

Shevchenko, Berbatov, Bellamy etc have also scored very little this season. But would you want to have them in your squad? I would, definitely. They have shown enough potentials and qualities, they are just being unlucky with goals and injuries at the moment!

Sorry, but Schevchenko, Berbatov and Bellamy have all looked SIGNIFICANTLY better than Martins.

He needs to learn to make runs, he cannot keep on hoping his pace will get him on to any through ball played, and actualy make  runs where he can be picked out.

He will learn more with every game he plays but Roeder should be covering this in training working closely with him.

No, I'd rather Martins started looking like £10m worth of striker by running off the ball and running with the ball.  Basically I'd like him to use this pace that he's got to hurt the opposition, something which we've seen very very little of.

Give him a bit more time, no? He doesn't attach the price tag on himself. And £10m does not only reflect on his current ability, but reflect his age and potential too.

If you ask me if I would pay 10m£ for Rossi. I say yes without a doubt. Laugh as you will.

Oba strikes me as a big confidence player. I'm sure once he gets a few goals, we'll see a better player but at the moment with the goals not flowing, his head is down and he's on the periphery of matches, contributing little to the side.

All I want from a striker is for him to try unsuccessful chips.  Forget movement or work rate, I'm all about the chips. :lol:

Sounds fishy to me bluelaugh.gif

I think Dyer will help Oba immensely.

Well, more the fact that Emre will be dropped is the thing that will help Oba. Emre has been guilty of playing wayward long balls that are simply far too long, added to the fact that we are shite in the air. Ameobi can't hold up the ball, despite his strength and presence, and i don't know where Sibierski got this reputation about heading the ball amazingly well.

Martins is supposed to be the guy that is running onto these 'headers' from the opposite strikers... unfortunately, he's had nothing to run onto, which is why we should cut out this mindless long-ball shit - and Emre has been our most guilty player because of it.

Dyer is one that will play the ball on the ground, like Zoggy, like Nobby, unlike Emre. I think with Dyer being in the centre of midfield will help Oba and his partner significantly.

Oba's movement has been poor, i agree, but no way have i given up on him yet. He's been unlucky infront of goal, but he's clearly got goals in him.