Is it possible/wise for the club to give the press nothing whatsoever?

Dave

3 of the 4 posts directly above are all spot on iyam. The club seriously needs to reconsider their current stance vis-à-vis the media.

(Parky, Jonny Hall and UV)

I agree, a little more communication would be a good thing imo. However, we may have found it harder to sign Jonas (given that Pompey were interested at £8m not so long ago) had anyone known anything about it.

The press was hardly positive, in the FFS era though, was it?

Whether or not we talk to the press, they'll still print biased shite, they'll just have twisted quotes to back it up with.

But just shutting the press out should be one half of the club's strategy; it should majorly ramp up internal efforts to communicate with the fans - the website, official magazines, their own TV channel, even unuofficial magazines, also, they have addresses of all the ST holders, talk to them!

Also, once the football begins, everybody will focus on what's happening on the pitch anyway.  We can't sign anybody til January, and we'll be playing football.  The club would be mental to talk to the press about potential targets before we sign them; it sets us up for a fall and alerts other clubs to our targets.  It might be nice to have a bit more knowledge after the fact - "yeah, we tried to sign Aimar, but wages were an issue" - kind of thing.

Finally, I reckon that if we do get these extra promised players, people will remember this close season when the next one pops round, "remember last season, we knew fuck all, and we got collocini, spidey, blah blah blah, and none of us knew a fucking thing"... it'll build trust.

Ooh, and the less we tell WKL the better, fucking tart.

3 of the 4 posts directly above are all spot on iyam. The club seriously needs to reconsider their current stance vis-à-vis the media.

(Parky, Jonny Hall and UV)

I agree, a little more communication would be a good thing imo. However, we may have found it harder to sign Jonas (given that Pompey were interested at £8m not so long ago) had anyone known anything about it.

No-one said anything about telling them what we're planning to do tranfer-wise, that sort of information can be positively spun after the event. But there are lots of other things the club is doing/involved in that can get positive releases to keep the press happy.

Couldn't care less, as long as the club gets the players that they want in. There are positives to both ways of doing things.

Yeah but whose signings are they? Et cetera.

Keegan has said quite a few times now that he gets the final say on transfers, are people really that insecure that they have to be constantly assured of the same thing, even though he's said it numerous times?

FWIW I don't think the club say any less than any other club in the Premiership, plenty of stuff gets released through the official site whether it's comments from Keegan or the players and nearly all of it gets picked up by Alan Oliver and the Chronicle, what else do people want? Do people really expect mass denials over every made up bit of gossip in the press? Do people think the club will come out and admit being interested in Aimar but got turned down for whatever reason? Or how about Keegan coming out and telling the truth about Alan Smith "It's untrue that Mike wants to sell him but I want to keep him, we both agree that we should sell him" :lol:

What else do people expect from the club media wise?

Guest neesy111

i think the problem is with the 24/7 news culture we are in, ppl expect clubs to announce whatever transfer talk as they can get any information instantly

i would prefer we went to old trafford and we had a new striker and midfielder playing, this would surprise the fans and also surprise the opposition

Guest Stephen927

I don't see any problem with the way things are being done now.

It's a tad unrealistic to expect the club to come out and deny every bit of speculation the tabloids aim at them.

Couldn't care less, as long as the club gets the players that they want in. There are positives to both ways of doing things.

Yeah but whose signings are they? Et cetera.

Keegan has said quite a few times now that he gets the final say on transfers, are people really that insecure that they have to be constantly assured of the same thing, even though he's said it numerous times?

FWIW I don't think the club say any less than any other club in the Premiership, plenty of stuff gets released through the official site whether it's comments from Keegan or the players and nearly all of it gets picked up by Alan Oliver and the Chronicle, what else do people want? Do people really expect mass denials over every made up bit of gossip in the press? Do people think the club will come out and admit being interested in Aimar but got turned down for whatever reason? Or how about Keegan coming out and telling the truth about Alan Smith "It's untrue that Mike wants to sell him but I want to keep him, we both agree that we should sell him" :lol:

What else do people expect from the club media wise?

I agree with you, just asking the question.

Seems to me the only shame in all this is that the average fan doesn't have all day to trawl blogs/rss/newsnow/sites for information so they have to take what the papers give them. 

The best way to help is get your non-nerd friends (if you have any) on here and off the papers. 

N-O recruitment drive '08.  :thup:

normally there isn't much day-to-day news so the press make something out of nothing to fill copy. we got by for years just finding out when someone signed or left without all the bull in between.

yes it's possible and yes it's wise.

after a while the fans will get used to the idea thast the press have no idea what is happening (it's already started) then the press will face the ridicule,print objectivly or print nowt.

I hope you're right. It'll take a long time before it gets to that stage though IMO.

the press will help. with nothing to print they keep on making up stuff or making mountains out of nowt and each day turn more people against them. it has already started happening this summer.

Ridiculously naive IYAM.

The vast majority of supporters do not scour internet forums for reasoned debate and form their own opinions. They believe what gets drummed into them from all sides by the media which feeds off any rumour it can get it's hands on. Even on here, most believe we were in for Aimar , Turam, etc, without anything whatsoever from the club itself to back that up. It's been seen before, no matter how ridiculous the story the "there's no smoke without fire" brigade will come out. So far Ashley is still in his honeymoon period for most, but that will last no more than another mid-table season. If he carries on letting the media set the agenda, and refuses to deny the stories they come up with, by the end of the season I believe a large number of supporters will have turned against him whether justified or not, and any negative story that come up will be believed.

The media will produce stories about NUFC whether the club feeds them the stories or not. If they work with the media, then there's at least a chance the press will be positive. If they force the media to rely on rumour and hearsay, then there is absolutely no chance of that press showing the club in a positive light.

can't prove it of course but just in talking to other fans the ammount who, over the course of this summer, have stopped falling for the media line has increased considerably.

it wont happen overnight but it has started.

I'm over the moon that the club are telling the media nothing at all, especially where Oliver is concerned as he's a waste of space and most of the other hacks are just as bad.  We've appointed shit managers and the press have generally give them as easy time when they should have been giving them stick and reporting facts instead of sticking up for mates.  They've done us as fans very few favours so seeing them now struggle is poetic justice as far as I'm concerned.

Our stance is new to NUFC but old hat in comparison to the rest of the Premiership.

Very very few will willingly enter into public discussions about targets, disciplinary issues etc and only tend to comment when they've got no choice.

I think the club are handling the press situation well.

When the season starts we will have signed about 5 or 6 players, the ticket sales will be about the same, the atmosphere will be the same, the craic in the bars before the match will be same and our fans will still have the same unmitigated enthusiasm/high hopes we've had in previous years.

So what difference has the lack of media chat had to the people that really matter?

A little bit of unrest. Thats all.

I think the unrest would have been significantly more vocal if the club hadn't backed up their lack of chat with signings but they will have done by the time we kick off.

This is the start of the culture change to be honest. From FFS's 'considerably more money than yoooow', 'my clubs bigger thans your's', 'look at me - I'm just too important' approach to the new professionally ran organisation.

I can't back up this feeling with any kind of proof or data but I just feel we're being ran in a more sustainable manner nowadays and I'm not going to log onto here or the Chronicle website one day to find 'NUFC doors closed' or 'Police arrest X Board member due to x irregularities'.

I always had that concern until we were bought out.

The other thing to consider is that the wider press feed off the local stories in a big way. So where Anal innocuously picked up on a FFS comment or decided to link us with some superstar as a favour to certain people not only did it raise hopes but it made us a fucking laughing stock nationwide each time they didn't come off or we couldn't substantiate claims of being 'in the top x clubs in the World'.

The acceptance of these changes will take time but I love the fact that news and press matters are, in the main, kept in-house.

This might be a bit naive but I struggle to see what value the press can add to NUFC in the short term as;

- They seem intent or ruining the Ashley reign

- They've revelled in previous unrest/bad news and;

- Good news is almost always tainted with some structural slur towards the end of the piece.

Also, where we do have good news to share, (see Colo) why shouldn't the club manage it's release themselves?

The media are slowly making a mockery of themselves too with all the 'Ashley to sell up' shite and the 'Boardroom unrest'. I wonder whether the club are being intentionally 'extra introverted' at this moment in time to reinforce this fact?

This could turn full circle if we say nothing and announce news via our own channels?

Yes, it's possible.  But no, it definitely isn't wise.  You don't need to tell the media the truth, but you need to tell them something positive.

I'm surprised by how terrible the club's PR operation is.  The coverage in the press is so poor, that they would benefit from some spin, brand management etc.  It isn't just supporters hoping or transfers that read the papers....if Ashley really is on the hunt for additional investment partners then the constant stream of bullshit in the papers will be doing him no favours.

Success is what will bed the culture of silence in. As supporters over the years, we've learnt to expect the worst, so when the press have to fabricate stories and fill them with trouble-stirring shit, experience suggests to us that they probably won't be too far from wrong. If and when we start doing well on the pitch - something that can't be denied or spun to any great extent - we'll steadily begin to care less about tabloid nonsense and take our cues from the evidence of our own eyes. In the meantime, we're going to be a twitchy people, but words won't truly remedy that - only the club giving us something solid to trust in will.

If we really are in for a big Tuesday or Wednesday unveiling of a few new players (Colo at the least) it will be interesting to see how Louise Taylor and the idiots at the Telegraph manage to put a negative spin on it.  I imagine they will ignore the new arrivals and concentrate on Smith's departure.

"...but sources within the club suggest Keegan was only informed of the players' identities moments before the press conference commenced"

:lol:

"Rumours that Keegan's NUFC TV subscription was cancelled to keep him in the dark have gone unconfirmed by the club."

'...but given that NUFC is no longer a publicly listed company and need not declare its affairs, some find it significant that Ashley is yet to deny suggestions he has already sold the club to foreign investors and is merely loitering on the club's premises for his own private purposes"

I dont read the papers anymore, sick of the shitty stories. Only read them when travelling to away games because its a nice read about team news/fatcs etc on the weekends matches.

I only read stories on here, so why post them? Its ridiculus, you post a thread with a story from a paper or some shitty website, and disagree. just dont do it. makes it much more simple and people wont get pissed off and annoyed with them.

If people are daft enough to post the shit, then people are daft enough to believe it tbh.

And im sure many people realise the paper talk is bullshit, haware man! when would xaxi or deco come here? who would believe that? must be a idiot.

just keep away from the papers, dont post so much shit on here, then you will enjoy this forum more without shite threads filled with garbage. 

A good PR machine would see these stories about Jonas' registration and post a swift clarification on the website so both the media and supporters know exactly what is going on.

If he isn't eligible to play on Sunday, they should let us know and then they should explain how it happened.  If the story isn't true, they should put fears to rest. 

I dont read the papers anymore, sick of the shitty stories. Only read them when travelling to away games because its a nice read about team news/fatcs etc on the weekends matches.

I only read stories on here, so why post them? Its ridiculus, you post a thread with a story from a paper or some shitty website, and disagree. just dont do it. makes it much more simple and people wont get pissed off and annoyed with them.

If people are daft enough to post the shit, then people are daft enough to believe it tbh.

And im sure many people realise the paper talk is bullshit, haware man! when would xaxi or deco come here? who would believe that? must be a idiot.

just keep away from the papers, dont post so much shit on here, then you will enjoy this forum more without shite threads filled with garbage. 

I love how in every post Kev always has to get it in there about him going to away games. :lol:

Guest Howaythetoon

When you add a PR side to things, you can easily cross the line between supply of information and spin and I think the club are conscious of keeping things real so to speak. I don't think Ashley likes PR machines anyway, he has been criticized for the same thing with Sports Direct. To be honest NUFC doesn't really need a PR machine in place, we have KK who fans trust to communicate with fans and a media dept to deal with the media, that's enough. I personally don't want to be drip fed inane waffle every day by our players and manager, i.e. Shola  talking about the number 9, Dyer talking about scoring goals, FS talking about the Geordie public and how he loved his wife when he left for work in the morning... I don't care. Injuries, ticket info, pre and post match stuff, that's all I care about.