Open University Courses

Guest LucaAltieri

Guest LucaAltieri

Anyone done an open university course? Worth it? How time consuming/demanding is it compared to being a 'proper' student?

started one about 15 years ago then dropped out after 3 month (bad timing...relationship breakdown,possibly moving out the area,summer school (at that time 40%of final mark) leave from work turned down. really enjoyed the bits i completed though (first three modules of the socila sciences foundation course and with marks over 80%)

i have a friend at work who loves it,thought he'd be all political  but has went towards literary criticism and should get his degree next year.

think i'll start again when the kids are less demanding.

I'm making it a goal of mine to study one or two courses a year through the OU. Not so much for another degree, just for general learning/knowledge expansion.

I did my BA Hons in English Language and Literature through it and it was generally very enjoyable. The course materials are fantastic and the tutors and tutorials are second to none.

Sounds pretty good. How are they in terms of the materials they provide?

totally different now from when i done it. loads on line and msn groups .no having to record radio/tv progs at 3am.

not sure what it would be like for engineering etc but what i was doing has now changed massivly.

surely it's all detailed on their website.

Guest LucaAltieri

Sounds pretty good. How are they in terms of the materials they provide?

totally different now from when i done it. loads on line and msn groups .no having to record radio/tv progs at 3am.

not sure what it would be like for engineering etc but what i was doing has now changed massivly.

surely it's all detailed on their website.

They do but they are still essentially selling you something. It's good to get the opinion of someone who has actually done it.

Anyway, sounds good. I might give it a go.

Cheers lads.

• 1 year later...

Resurrecting this a bit, as I'm considering deeing something. Anyone want to tell about their experiences in a bit more detail?

Fuck that Keef, just get yourself on masterchef. You'll piss it. Plus you'd get to hang out with that bald shouty bloke, it'd be magic.

Resurrecting this a bit, as I'm considering deeing something. Anyone want to tell about their experiences in a bit more detail?

Fuck that Keef, just get yourself on masterchef. You'll piss it. Plus you'd get to hang out with that bald shouty bloke, it'd be magic.

I second this. :D

A lad I know is doing an Open University course (Psychology). Seems like he's been doing it for about 10 years, but I'm reliably informed he's in his final year.

I'm making it a goal of mine to study one or two courses a year through the OU. Not so much for another degree, just for general learning/knowledge expansion.

I did my BA Hons in English Language and Literature through it and it was generally very enjoyable. The course materials are fantastic and the tutors and tutorials are second to none.

Did this happen? How's it going if so? Quite an interesting way of gaining knowledge.

Thanks for that. I have always threatened to do something like it. Maybe now is the time to do it.

take a look at the site. also it's a lot easier now the summer school isn't absolutly necessary.

i have to get my arse fired up to do this aswell.