Police record checks

davy_fulla

Has anyone ever obtained one of these?  By these I don't mean CRB checks but the ones where you can access your own PNC record under the data protection act for a fee of £10.

I've been offered a management job that I really want to take but I have to provide a copy of my police record.  I've got one conviction (over 5 years old) for drink driving and 3 cautions (1 from 10yrs ago, 1 8yrs ago and 1 from 7yrs ago).  All these cautions were down to youthul exuberance, i.e. too drunk to stand up etc and I've obviously grown up a hell of a lot since then.  I was asked in interview whether I had any convictions and replied no as I didn't think I had to declare them after 5yrs as they are considered spent.

What do these police records look like on paper? Is it just a single sheet of paper listing all dealings with the police? Does it just list the offence or give a brief outline of the circumstances as well?

I would have thought that if it was so important to this company they would have applied for this to be delivered to themselves as surely there could be instances of certain sheets of paper from the report going 'missing.'

Any advice would be great as I'm feeling down now thinking some stupid mistakes I made as a young un are gonna haunt me forever  :-[

Your on a sticky one ther like, check out the rehabilitation of affenders Act, that tells you how long you retain your record for, and how long it is before you can  'Hide' it from people... tho in my experience, 5 years is a bit soon I think, tho I may be wrong.

Your on a sticky one ther like, check out the rehabilitation of affenders Act, that tells you how long you retain your record for, and how long it is before you can  'Hide' it from people... tho in my experience, 5 years is a bit soon I think, tho I may be wrong.

Thats the Rehabilitation of offenders act 1974...btw,  soz for the typo

Thats the Rehabilitation of offenders act 1974...btw,  soz for the typo

Just checked it out - under the ROA, driving disqualifications are classed as spent as soon as the ban expires, in my case 9 months.  But because I received a fine at the same time, fines take 5yrs to become spent and so the whole ban is now considered spent.  As I thought, I had no obligation to disclose this in the interview but if the employer decides not to take me on because of this spent conviction there's nowt I can do about it.  He'll probably think I'm a dishonest type as well.  As for the cautions, according to the ROA, police are advised to delete records of cautions after 5yrs but some forces decide to keep them longer or indefinitely.  Basically, they may or may not show up!

It's a nightmare because I've spoke to the police and they said at the moment they are turning record requests around in about 3 weeks.  I've got 2 and a half weeks latest to hand my notice in with my current job to meet the start date for this new job.  I think if the check doesn't come back in time, the day before my notice would be due I'll have to call the new boss and tell him what might show up and whether he still wants to take me on.

Well I thought it best I come clean as it looks like the police check will show everything I've ever been in bother for.  I've just rang the new boss and told him everything.  He didn't seem too happy but appreciated my honesty.  Just waiting for a call back now while he decides what to do.  :undecided:

Cheers lads - it means a lot as I've worked hard for this.

The whole Rehabilitation of Offenders thing is crap like.  I went to Aykley Heads today and spoke to the woman who deals with these applications.  She was spot on but told me that everything would probably show up.  Because this information is at my request I would have thought I could say that I wanted convictions only or cautions only etc. but apparently its all or nothing.  Thats when I thought it was time to come clean.

When I rang the boss he was angry that I hadn't mentioned my driving ban so I told him I wasn't obliged to as it was over 5 yrs ago.  He thought it was 10yrs but I've checked it out and its definitely 5yrs to class it as spent.  He also thought it would affect the insurance for the company car so I had to explain that it doesn't count after 5yrs.

He then asked about the cautions and I had to explain each one.  It was quite embarrassing as these were daft things I got up to about 10yrs ago.    After I told him he said he appreciated the honesty as I did not have to disclose cautions to him.  That's the annoying thing as my police report would not have excluded cautions and so he would have seen them anyway - how can you be 'rehabilitated' when these things stay on your record for life (or weirdly as the woman at Aykley Heads told me, they get deleted when you turn 100 - not many job offers around at that age though!). 

Another thing under the Act is that an employer is not supposed to discriminate against someone, i.e. remove a job offer from someone, with spent convictions.  However, if the employer does remove the offer there's technically nothing I can do.  It's one of those weird loopholes in the law.

Still waiting for the call back so I'm assuming he's making me sweat over the weekend. 

I recieved a police check from Northumbria for a security clearance i needed for work. It still showed a minor conviction from 20 years ago, which i disclosed for the clearance.

However Northumbria have been ordered to remove these as they currently hold all records for 100 years!!!

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/crime/article4375311.ece

How can this be allowed, Do the police not have to adhere to ' The rehabilitation of Offenders Act1974'

This law was introduced so people could put thier past behind them and move on, tho there are limitations, ie. working with children, or other security situations, and also nonces i think are stuck with thier deserved records.

I recieved a police check from Northumbria for a security clearance i needed for work. It still showed a minor conviction from 20 years ago, which i disclosed for the clearance.

However Northumbria have been ordered to remove these as they currently hold all records for 100 years!!!

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/crime/article4375311.ece

How can this be allowed, Do the police not have to adhere to ' The rehabilitation of Offenders Act1974'

This law was introduced so people could put thier past behind them and move on, tho there are limitations, ie. working with children, or other security situations, and also nonces i think are stuck with thier deserved records.

The way I understand things looking at my old employment law books is the ROA has nowt to do with the police really.  The police have a record on you and the ROA governs whether you have to disclose that record, e.g. to employers.  I think the reason people are kicking off about the use of information is governed by the data protection act.  Under the act - information shouldn't be held for longer than is reasonable.  The coppers obviously think 100yrs is reasonable.

i got lifetd and held overnight in nottingham after that epic leicester last day stop up game. i'd had my details taken for no reason a year or two earlier(football related). 99% certain when i hit the cop shop and i gave my name he didn't write it down but looked through a list and crosed it out.

Still had no call but I've looked into it more and there's the possibility of me having a claim for discrimination if the offer gets withdrawn.  Also sent an e-mail to my local MP saying how crap the system is (not those words exactly) that I can't ask for inormation on unspent offences to be omitted even though I am in effect requesting information for myself.

In a way, I hope he does take the offer back as it's gonna make it difficult working for someone who obviously thinks I'm a hardened criminal.  I might get a nice payout for damages as well.  I've got a feeling that he hasn't rang back yet coz he's wondering how to get round the discrimination thing.  I'll keep yous posted anyway!

Well the boss has just called me - he's taken everything into account and because I came forward he said it shows good character and the job offer still stands.  He said he'll treat me the same as everyone else and as far as he's concerned there is no slate to wipe clean.  Honesty is the best policy after all then!

The only problem now is I'd talked myself out of taking the job and was looking forward to a day in court for a discrimination claim.  ;D never happy eh?

Congratulations?

Haha, cheers - i think.

It's just a tough decision as well coz the hours are a lot longer than I work now and I don't want to miss the bairn growing up.  At the same time though this will give him a better future

Think I'll take it as my car's getting old so I'm after a new un.

Cheers again!

• 1 year later...

Think this might be the best thread to bump...Police win a ruling that means they don't have to delete criminal records from their database, "however old and minor".

Police win data deletion appeal 

The rules state information must be relevant, up to date and not excessive

Five police forces which challenged a ruling that they should delete records on criminal convictions from their database have won their appeal.

The court of appeal said convictions, however old and however minor, can be of value in the fight against crime.

The court said that as a result the retention of that information should not be denied to the police.

The forces said if they had lost, they may have been forced to delete details of as many as one million people.

The police added if the original ruling had been upheld, the result would have been a "liars' charter" - where people would be able to deny criminal convictions on job applications if they knew the deletion deadline had passed.

The Association of Chief Police Officers (Acpo) welcomed the ruling, adding that "the ramifications of losing the appeal were potentially huge".

Held for 100 years

Ian Readhead, Acpo director of information, told the BBC: "This data assists police officers in their work in preventing crime and protecting the public and the loss of such valuable information would have been detrimental to that.

"Although principally used for police purposes, these records are also critical to the courts, the Criminal Records Bureau, the Independent Safeguarding Agency, the Crown Prosecution Service and the Home Office, who all supported this appeal."

The original ruling came about after five people complained to the information commissioner because their criminal records showed up when they applied for jobs.

One of the cases was a record held by Humberside Police about the theft of a 99p packet of meat in 1984. The person involved, who was under 18 at the time, was fined £15.

Another, held by West Midlands Police, referred to a theft which took place more than 25 years ago, for which the individual was fined £25.

And a third, held by Staffordshire Police, related to someone under 14 who was cautioned for a minor assault.

Under current policy, criminal records remain on the police national computer for up to 100 years.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8314032.stm

If there is a more appropriate thread feel free to move.

Unless your applying for a job in a bank or some civic position, I shouldn't think driving offences like this are really an issue.

If they're not much of an issue why keep them? Ridiculous state of affairs.

Unless your applying for a job in a bank or some civic position, I shouldn't think driving offences like this are really an issue.

If they're not much of an issue why keep them? Ridiculous state of affairs.

Prison Island isn't it.