Rate NUFC's pre-season

afar
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

With the PL season less than 48 hrs away, I am asking for you to grade the pre-season. Has it been a spectactular success or a unmitigated disaster ?

Think of every aspect if you would please, from signings to preperation, off field issues, media handling, season ticket administration, communication with the fans, etc, etc.

For me there were good points, like listening to fans who wanted the singing sections. The fixtures they arranged catered to the fans too, playing, Doncaster and Hartlepool, no too long a treks and a trip to easy to get to Mallorca for a tournement, them some high class opposition in PSV and Valencia. The public training session was a welcome idea also. The weeding out of a lot of crap (but not all) from the squad. The signings of Bassong, Guthrie, Jonas and Colocinni, look very sound.

However there were a lot of bad points too, we didn't get out of the blocks quick enough, we've not strengthen the squad enough in certain areas, looks like August may be written off, we weren't prepared for the injuries we've had. We've still got Alan Smith. The season ticket price changes have been far from universally popular. The club has failed to communicate with the fans IMO, this pre-season, they seem to have let this obeession with not giving the press anything adversely effect fan management.

Poor, but 'must do better' is a shite way of putting it. Injuries can't be helped.

As far as the transfer window goes, i know it's too early to judge, but i was very content with the way things had gone thus far - with a view to things being more-or-less complete by September, in terms of squad numbers. The Faye thing has really disappointed me though, cos the defense was essentially complete - for the distant future, but for one wing-back. If he goes, it's two steps forward and one step back.

Poor, but 'must do better' is a s**** way of putting it. Injuries can't be helped.

As far as the transfer window goes, i know it's too early to judge, but i was very content with the way things had gone thus far - with a view to things being more-or-less complete by September, in terms of squad numbers. The Faye thing has really disappointed me though, cos the defense was essentially complete - for the distant future, but for one wing-back. If he goes, it's two steps forward and one step back.

Well that's what I always got on my school reports :)

Distinctly underwhelming. We don't look ready for the season and a number of important issues that needed looking at have still not been resolved, mainly our lack of creativity in central midfield, Owen's contract situation, squad strengthening in the full back positions and bringing in a (back up) striker who can actually score. Some good things have also been achieved, but so far the balance leans over towards the negative side. A lot can happen in two weeks, and it will need to or it will be another year of midtable obscurity..

Distinctly underwhelming. We don't look ready for the season and a number of important issues that needed looking at have still not been resolved, mainly our lack of creativity in central midfield, Owen's contract situation, squad strengthening in the full back positions and bringing in a (back up) striker who can actually score. Some good things have also been achieved, but so far the balance leans over towards the negative side. A lot can happen in two weeks, and it will need to or it will be another year of midtable obscurity..

Good post. And I  tend to agree there. I know I'm a negative, miserable old git but I'm not trying to emphasis the negative here just trying to see where the club can learn for susequent pre-season, hopefully once August is out the club itself will go through a lessons learned process. And I hope if they do they also acknowledge the good things too, the focus on youth procument and development is a highlight for me.

Guest toonlass

Not enough runs out for the first teamers. Not enough first teamers in the games for fans to be expected to pay £15 for Doncaster and Hartlepool. Guthrie and Jonas are good news. Hartlepool's chanting of "number 46" was great. The Coloccini thing has peed me off. Box office is back to their best with crap service. Its like the good old days.

There's many factors to consider, however the one position we're desperately needing -  A creative midfielder - Has not yet been addressed. With that in mind, I had no option but to vote "D".

Still time though Kev ;)

Guest shearer_united

I personally think preseasons are no hints whatsoever of how a team will perform once the league begins.

D - Its been fuking shit, but i guessed that was always going to be the case from the off, this club couldn't do a decent pre-season if its very existance depended on it, its just a damn fuking shame the following season depends on it, you'd think that would be enough to kick its unfit arse in to gear once every fuking blue moon.

Still though, i'm only slightly bothered about it all, i#m not allowed to be bothered until the 1st September or something like that.  O0