Michael Owen in 2008-09

Dave
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

There seems to be a common consensus forming that Owen will be missing for large stretches of the upcoming season, and that we absolutely MUST sign a striker to cover for him.

Now I'm not saying Owen isn't injury prone and I'm not saying Viduka isn't injury prone, nor am I saying that we don't need a striker or that Smith is good enough. But is Owen really that unreliable?

He started 24 league games last season and came on as a substitute in 5 further games. This in a season where he had an urgent double hernia operation yet still ended with 22 consecutive appearances for the club in all competitions.

I'm certainly hoping we'll be able to rely on him a bit more this season, but I don't think the upcoming season is going to be as bleak for him as some are making out.

He won't be here at the end of it, and that is far more important, if you get where I'm coming from.

I think he'll sign, actually. Pretty confident about it too.

The further it drags on the less confident I am in it happening, plus I don't trust him one bit.

There seems to be a common consensus forming that Owen will be missing for large stretches of the upcoming season, and that we absolutely MUST sign a striker to cover for him.

Are the same people complaining about how unreliable he is also demanding the club give him an £100,000 plus per week new contract?

He won't be here at the end of it, and that is far more important, if you get where I'm coming from.

The further it drags on the less confident I am in it happening, plus I don't trust him one bit.

I think he'll end up signing because he still picks up the odd knock that has him out for a week or two at a time which will put off the 'massive' clubs. Who is going to pay him more than us? It may take until the next transfer window when he can talk to other clubs but when he sees who is interested in him and more to the point who isn't interested in him he'll probably stay.

i hope you're right mate, i wonder if he's holding on for a five year deal or something like that

I have been saying for a while that one of our top priorities should be a striker, preferably a target man. Even if Owen stays fit we still need that option because Viduka won't and Smith/Ameobi are not good enough assuming they stay.

I think it would be crazy to offer him a new deal at this point.

He has already started the season off injured and will be missing the very first game of the new season, which just sets things off on a bad note really. This despite the fact he hasn't been involved all pre-season! It's absolutely tragic. If it isn't a serious injury it's little things that keep him out for a good amount of games anyway.

Dave, you talk about him making 24 appearances despite the operations, but the fact is that he missed a hell of a lot of the season due to injuries yet again. He did well when he returned but we can't get blinded by that. The fact is he is unreliable and as a key member of the team he is costing us a hell of a lot of games.

It's just the same thing all over again and he will soon be turning 29, so why exactly should we be making him a new offer? I think we ought to just agree to have him one more year and let him leave on a free next summer. We can start to plan for a top class replacement next summer, starting from right now, so we aren't caught out unaware.

Dave, you talk about him making 24 appearances despite the operations, but the fact is that he missed a hell of a lot of the season due to injuries yet again.

You didn't read it then.

Dave, you talk about him making 24 appearances despite the operations, but the fact is that he missed a hell of a lot of the season due to injuries yet again.

You didn't read it then.

Maybe I didn't get the figures right, but you were basically saying how he made a number of appearances despite the operations right?

The issue is however that he can't stay the heck out of the operating theatre!

We need another hero guys. This one is clearly broken.

You didn't read it then.

Maybe I didn't get the figures right, but you were basically saying how he made a number of appearances despite the operations right?

24 starts in the league, with 5 further appearances.

He missed 9 games in full.

Nowhere near as bad as many make out; in fact only six players started more league games. And Martins wasn't one of them.

You didn't read it then.

24 starts in the league, with 5 further appearances.

He missed 9 games in full.

Nowhere near as bad as many make out; in fact only six players started more league games. And Martins wasn't one of them.

The more telling fact is he was hopeless in quite a lot of those.

i've got a fiver on him to be prem top scorer at 44-1.

thinking if he stays fit and has a good start (ie like the end of last season),and doesn't renew his contract he could be a good cheep option for one of the clubs in europe.

those odds were too good to turn down