Michael Owen in 2008-09

Dave
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

people underrate Keane, he scored 1 in 2 for Spurs and created god knows how many. Great player

I remember we had a chance to buy him in 05 yet Sounce said we are not after him and went on and sign Liuqe the rest is history.

Souness said Keane wasn't good enough for £4M or so, says it all about him, cunt

Seems like his shooting power has been increased since the injury  :yikes:, poor Edgar.  :-[

http://cache1.asset-cache.net/xc/82512396.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF19368FFB0B613D6DEB044FA72665BDC6CE9E30A760B0D811297

1 second later

http://img177.imageshack.us/img177/9548/edgarci1.jpg

Guest sicko2ndbest

Daily Mail

Keegan set for signing showdown over Owen and Milner

Last updated at 8:27 PM on 22nd August 2008

Comments (0)  Add to My Stories

Kevin Keegan will tell Newcastle's powerbrokers on Wednesday that he must be allowed to keep both striker Michael Owen and Aston Villa target James Milner.

The manager will meet, in London, owner Mike Ashley, managing director Derek Llambias and Newcastle's recruitment staff, led by Dennis Wise.

Keegan has become disillusioned about the decision-making, his role in deals limited to giving a wish list to Wise.

He is also concerned his coaching staff in the North-East have become marginalised while key decisions are made in London - even though the recruitment of Fabricio Coloccini, Jonas Gutierrez and Danny Guthrie suggests that Ashley's confused structure could work.

Keegan said: 'I haven't been party to some talks, but I've been informed. And I don't see why we can't secure players, like Michael, whose contracts have got to certain stages.'

Dosnt sound good!

That's an absolute classic case of the words not reading the same as the actual thing. He's saying 'I don't see why not' - ie a positive thing. Trust the papers to twist it into 'we can't' though. Wankers.

He is also concerned his coaching staff in the North-East have become marginalised while key decisions are made in London - even though the recruitment of Fabricio Coloccini, Jonas Gutierrez and Danny Guthrie suggests that Ashley's confused structure could work.

Thanks for that. :lol:

When you think about it, unless Owen is offered an extremely lucrative contract, it's not in his interests to sign now. The longer it goes on, the more the prospect looms of him going on a free and being able to get a good deal from a club who doesn't have to pay a transfer fee. He's got every reason to think that he'll get more money if he waits.

Basically, if you want to keep a player, you shouldn't let his contract run down to the final year. As with Lampard and Chelsea, the player has the club over a bit of a barrel.

I'm fed up with the whole business. If he won't sign now, then I'd listen to offers.

Guest sicko2ndbest

If Owen goes, who will take him on top wages, where he will be guaranteed games, that is a better option than us

If Owen goes, who will take him on top wages, where he will be guaranteed games, that is a better option than us

Well that's the other factor. If we give him a final offer and an ultimatum, then he may have to re-think his position. But whatever, let's not drag it out for too much longer. He's not that important.

Guest sicko2ndbest

Well that's the other factor. If we give him a final offer and an ultimatum, then he may have to re-think his position. But whatever, let's not drag it out for too much longer. He's not that important.

This is my thinking about it:

I will be happy if he stays and excited if he goes to see who we replace him with

Win, win situation

It have taken me three years to get it, but tonight after I saw the interviews with both Keegan and Owen I realised that Owen is a Newcastle player. We're very fortunate to have a player of his calibre here and need to do everything in our power to keep him here. Even though he has lost his legs he's still lethal in the penalty area and and he's someone who can guarantee us goals, his record can prove that.

very promising quotes from keegan

"The idea is that we do want Michael to stay, all of us. We have just got to get to the point where we have got an agreement, and that's got to be right for both parties," said Keegan.

"I know he wants to stay, I know he likes it here, really likes it here and I have made it absolutely clear I want him to.

"It will run its course. I think we are pretty close, but we will find out on Wednesday and we will see. I think we are very close, but I will know more on Wednesday."

if we tie up owens contract, and get a defender, midfielder and striker all of the quality of the players brought in so far by the end of the week i'll be happier with nufc than i have in a long, long time.

"If he was the best striker in Europe then he wouldn't be playing for Newcastle"

We've heard it all before.

We've heard it with Shearer and by all accounts we heard it with Milburn aswell.

Know what? We're past caring what you lot think because we are Newcastle United.

Jog on.

Once again, Owen rammed the words of closet chip-on-shoulder merchants who compare him unfavourably with Martins right back down their throats ; once again, he proved that given 2 chances, he will almost certainly put 1 away, even when not match-fit or up with the pace of the game...

For all Martins' qualities(speed off the mark, heart etc) he will NEVER be anywhere near as good a finisher as Michael Owen, and today, some of Martins' passing and retention of the ball was very poor.

As for those who comment that Owen would not be at NUFC if he was the best striker in Europe, I don't recall anyone saying he WAS the best in Europe, but on a chance conversion/games played ratio, he can't be far off that - in any case, if Martins was as good as some fans here think, HE wouldn't be a NUFC player because he would still be at Inter Milan ; the Italians very rarely let a genuinely top player leave their best clubs unless they think he is past it.

Owen proved today what many of us(esp older fans who have seen absolute dross over the years, but also have seen some top players)knew already - if he leaves we will have a terrible job trying to get a player who guarantees as many goals when fit, and that this type of player makes the difference between success & failure, or, in NUFC's case last season, between staying in the Prem and losing MILLIONS by being relegated...

The club should not only be trying everything to keep him, but ALREADY be looking for a replacement because that will be a long and difficult task ; Owen has proved himself to be as critical to NUFC's short-term future as Shearer did when he was here.

Guest Gemmill

Once again, Owen rammed the words of closet chip-on-shoulder merchants who compare him unfavourably with Martins right back down their throats ; once again, he proved that given 2 chances, he will almost certainly put 1 away, even when not match-fit or up with the pace of the game...

For all Martins' qualities(speed off the mark, heart etc) he will NEVER be anywhere near as good a finisher as Michael Owen, and today, some of Martins' passing and retention of the ball was very poor.

As for those who comment that Owen would not be at NUFC if he was the best striker in Europe, I don't recall anyone saying he WAS the best in Europe, but on a chance conversion/games played ratio, he can't be far off that - in any case, if Martins was as good as some fans here think, HE wouldn't be a NUFC player because he would still be at Inter Milan ; the Italians very rarely let a genuinely top player leave their best clubs unless they think he is past it.

Owen proved today what many of us(esp older fans who have seen absolute dross over the years, but also have seen some top players)knew already - if he leaves we will have a terrible job trying to get a player who guarantees as many goals when fit, and that this type of player makes the difference between success & failure, or, in NUFC's case last season, between staying in the Prem and losing MILLIONS by being relegated...

The club should not only be trying everything to keep him, but ALREADY be looking for a replacement because that will be a long and difficult task ; Owen has proved himself to be as critical to NUFC's short-term future as Shearer did when he was here.

Good post.  It's laughable the stick that Owen gets when Martins who yeah, he'll get the odd goal for you because he's quick and occasionally it seems to dawn on him how to use his pace effectively, but his all around play is in the main shit.  Honestly we're a man down a lot of the time with the amount he gives the ball away or just does brainless shit and then fucking stamps his feet like a bairn and tries to blame someone else for it.

Owen is top class and it is essential that we sign him up.  Even if he gets a payrise.