The Captaincy

Tooj

With Owen out of tomorrow's game, if Geremi plays I can imagine him being given the arm band, although to me it should be Habib who has the captaincy, not just for tomorrow's game, but all of the time.

Does anyone know if an actual announcement has been made on as to who will have the armband tomorrow?

I'd like Given to get it

I don't consider Given a leader of men. Especially now his bottle has gone as well.

I think off field he's perfect, but on the pitch i couldn't think of anyone worse.

I'd like Given to get it

I don't consider Given a leader of men. Especially now his bottle has gone as well.

I think off field he's perfect, but on the pitch i couldn't think of anyone worse.

Yup. He's a fine example of a model professional if you will, but on the field, he communicates bad enough with his defenders as it is, never mind trying to inspire the rest of the team. I don't think Owen is a good captain as well in the traditional sense of the word, although did lead by example perfectly at the end of last season, even if I feel it was an obvious PR stunt from Keegan.

Guest justin99.

why is that?

I think his ability to pull off amazing saves would certainly inspire his teammates

why is that?

I think his ability to pull off amazing saves would certainly inspire his teammates

He hasn't had that ability for quite a while now though tbf.

I'd like Given to get it

Yup. He's a fine example of a model professional if you will, but on the field, he communicates bad enough with his defenders as it is, never mind trying to inspire the rest of the team. I don't think Owen is a good captain as well in the traditional sense of the word, although did lead by example perfectly at the end of last season, even if I feel it was an obvious PR stunt from Keegan.

Agreed, but it did its job, KK is no mug. Someone like Colo could be our next FT captain by next season once he's settled and learned English, i really can see that happening depending on where Owen's future lies.

Prefer a Captain to be able to see as much as the pitch as possible, i think central defense is the best place for a captain to watch and command his team, second best central mid, though they do tend to get lost in the game concentrating on whats happening in the near, rather than whats going on around them.

Guest justin99.

I wouldn't discount his ability/skill due to an injury ravaged season

why is that?

indeed. Given's reflexes and shotstopping are certainly on the wain. But hey, he still has his organisation, bravery, domination of his box, fantastic distribution etc

I wouldn't discount his ability/skill due to an injury ravaged season

He hasn't looked the same since Harewood capitulated him.

why is that?

Even if he gets it back, and i'm sure it will, its not exactly a reason to be made a captain.

He's got no leadership skills on the pitch, in fact not many of our players do which has been a massive problem since Shearer left.

I'd go with Beye, but everyone seems to think he's had a poor pre-season, so maybe he should concentrate on his own game.

Reckon KK will go with Butt.

That one must have passed me by! Doesn't look totally match fit but seemed up for it and fairly comfortable against Valencia. He put in one or two marvellous slide tackles down in the corner.

Butt will get it on Sunday; i can't see Geremi playing tbh.

why is that?

And when he did, his 'amazing' saves didn't actually inspire anyone else to pull their finger out.

I'd go with Beye, but everyone seems to think he's had a poor pre-season, so maybe he should concentrate on his own game.

Reckon KK will go with Butt.

That one must have passed me by! Doesn't look totally match fit but seemed up for it and fairly comfortable against Valencia. He put in one or two marvellous slide tackles down in the corner.

Butt will get it on Sunday; i can't see Geremi playing tbh.

I've not seen much pre-season, just reading comments on here, the match threads came out with a strong opinion that he wasn't firing just yet.

why is that?

And when he did, his 'amazing' saves didn't actually inspire anyone else to pull their finger out.

True, they just stood there and thought 'thank fuk someone is on the ball'

Guest justin99.

He hasn't looked the same since Harewood capitulated him.

true.

I think this season though he will return to career best form

As ridiculous as it may sound, Damien Duff is a chance if Keegan doesn't think Butt needs the additional pressure...

You do know Wullie is on his way to your house in OZ to kick you square in the nads.

Guest optimistic nit

why is that?

Even if he gets it back, and i'm sure it will, its not exactly a reason to be made a captain.

He's got no leadership skills on the pitch, in fact not many of our players do which has been a massive problem since Shearer left.

i cant think of anyone obvious to make captain either.

beye maybe, or colo if he settles and is that type of player.