Saviola on loan?

Dokko

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2008/08/16/toon-weigh-up-loan-bid-for-saviola-72703-21544957/

Toon weigh up loan bid for Saviola

Aug 16 2008 by Alan Oliver, Evening Chronicle

NEWCASTLE United, having completed the signings of Jonas Gutierrez and Fabricio Coloccini, are now trying to bring a THIRD Argentinian to St James’s Park.

For the word coming out of Spain is that United are interested in Real Madrid’s exciting striker Javier Saviola and that they are hoping to ship him in on loan.

And the men behind the move, United’s vice-president Tony Jimenez and technical director Jeff Vetere, are hoping to cash in on their Spanish connections to pull off a deal that would really excite the United fans.

Jimenez’s family roots are in Seville, while, before joining United, Vetere worked for Real Madrid.

After unveiling Coloccini yesterday, Kevin Keegan stressed United were still on the look-out for quality players and Saviola certainly comes into this category.

He is still only 26 but seems to have been on the go for ages and this is not surprising as he made his debut for River Plate in his native Buenos Aires as a 16-year-old.

Barcelona were happy to take him to the Nou Camp and he came on as a substitute for Dani against United in a Champions League second stage game in Spain back in 2002.

While at Barcelona, Saviola went out on loan to Monaco and Sevilla. And when his deal at the Nou Camp ran out in 2007, Saviola switched to Real Madrid in the summer of 2007 and he is under contract at the Bernabeu until 2011.

However, Saviola only made nine La Liga starts for Real Madrid last season, scoring three goals.

And while Gutierrez and Coloccini have been named in an Argentina squad made up of European-based players for Wednesday’s friendly with Belarus in Minsk, Saviola is not in it.

Throughout his career he has been known as El Conejito, the Little Rabbit, and if United can get him into a black-and-white shirt, then, with the pace of Oba Martins and Gutierrez, a few opposing defences would be caught in the Newcastle headlights this season.

While Messrs Jimenez and Vetere are tracking Saviola, director of football Dennis Wise has given Ipswich Town permission to talk to Shola Ameobi and it is now up to the striker whether he goes to Portman Road.

Ameobi, of course, played under Glenn Roeder at St James’s Park and in the same United team as Lee Clark, now at Norwich City.

But Ameobi is on £15,000 a week with United, and this – and the transfer fee – are way out of the Canaries’ budget.

However, United are likely to reduce their wage bill even further with the £2m transfer of Abdoulaye Faye to Stoke City going through over the weekend.

The Chronicle reported Stoke’s interest on Wednesday, and perhaps significantly Keegan’s praise of Claudio Capaca yesterday, and the way the Brazilian international linked up with Steven Taylor at the heart of the defence in the pre-season games, has made it easier for United to cash in on the Senegalese international.

wouldn't really fit into our team to be perfectly honest, and not the kind of forward we need though i wouldn't say no and he'd be a good alternative and back-up if Martins and/or Owen are injured or out of form. in a 4-3-3 he could only play in Martins or Owen's position and in a 4-4-2 he could only play with Viduka. so basically the type of forward we are crying out for is an alternative to Viduka.

Would take him on loan for a season. But we have enough midgets in attack.

cover for those two midgets being injured.

Hopefully we can bring in some height on a permenant deal, pref young height.

This and a Tiago loan would do us well to get some bodies in, some decent names without committing too much.

I know he's a short-arse, but isn't he more of a deep player than an out-and-out striker? Would we want him to play in the hole?

in recent years he seems to have been deployed in a deeper role, certainly.

Too small and lightweight. Did anyone see him in the Emirates tournament when the crosses were coming in? he looked about 2 foot tall  :laugh:

Again, we're linked with this bloke every summer.  I'd seriously question his motives as a Footballer but a loan means that doesn't really matter to much.  Still I think this is once again going to be a saga that ends with him staying were he is or moving to another massive club he's got no chance of getting regular Football with..

Seems to crop up every transfer window at one point or another. Certainly seems to be unsettled in La Liga anyhow. Don't think i've seen him play personally, unless in a World Cup game.

That's true, but there really seems to be some substance this time - and what's more we seem to have something of a clear field. I'm fond of the Rabbit and from memory this is the first time his name has cropped up this window(?)

I know he's a short-arse, but isn't he more of a deep player than an out-and-out striker? Would we want him to play in the hole?

Yeah, he's more Beardsley than Owen. I'd take him on loan definitely.

Makes sense to me - I think he'd be adept at filling the role that Owen played towards the end of last season.

Any other sources?

Seems to crop up every transfer window at one point or another. Certainly seems to be unsettled in La Liga anyhow. Don't think i've seen him play personally, unless in a World Cup game.

That's true, but there really seems to be some substance this time

What would this substance be? It's an Alan Oliver article. Most probably bull shit.

Would love to have him though...