Why the extremes?

Stu

This has been an ongoing concern of mine, perhaps it's just the nature of this forum, but there seem to be bizarre levels of positivity/negativity banded around - highlighted by the match reaction to today's game.

For example, Nicky Butt wasn't on his best form today, he broke down a few attacks and for the most part, kept Scholes in check. However, he noticeably gave the ball away three or four times in our half, before giving away the free-kick at the end - all of a suddent he's atrocious and "should never be near the first team".

How can a supporter of the team say that about someone who has just given his all to earn our team an unlikely point?

By all means, look to bring in another player to improve the team as a whole, but regardless of his three or four mistakes he contributed to the team's overall performance.

Similarly, N'Zogbia - brought in to play at left-back, partly because of the crowd's reaction to Enrique's two mistakes in pre-season - and he gets slaughtered for not having one of his better games. From what I saw, he didn't do too badly, two or three passes went astray and he was dispossesed in our own half by Brown (oops!) but I didn't think his standard was that much lower than the team as a whole.

In contrast, Jonas - who was fantastic, simply one of the best debuts for a Newcastle player that I can recall - is suddenly the new messiah. While he has cheered me up no end, I would like to see this form replicated week-in, week-out before I have his name tattooed on my arse.

The mood swings about players in our team are scary at times. I haven't even started on Smith (disgraceful comments on here and elsewhere) and Milner (amazed at some comments today).

It's clear from this performance and a few from last season that there is a major imbalance in our team bewtween players that could take us to the top 5 and player that will always be found wanting at this level

agree with the OP, however questions will have to be asked if zog is played at LB in the middle of the season. despite a couple of weak links in the team, i reckon we are in for a much improved season, if we produce this standard or more week in week out.

Zoggy at left back wasn't as much of a problem today, because of how well Jonas tracks back to assist him.

I hear what your saying about extremes, but Jonas' debut today was phenomenal. To play like that your first game in the prem and away to Man U was nuts.

What was even funnirer was Andy Gray's reaction to Jonas.

He couldn't quite believe it. He was trying to figure out who the guy was. Just because we didn't spend a bunch of money on him, it complpetely caught everyone off guard.

Special mention for Guthrie too. Huge calming presence for us. His awareness and footballing brain are top notch.

Zoggy at left back wasn't as much of a problem today, because of how well Jonas tracks back to assist him.

I hear what your saying about extremes, but Jonas' debut today was phenomenal. To play like that your first game in the prem and away to Man U was nuts.

Do you not feel that all of our new signings should be so committed and fired-up when making their debuts..?

Our previous signings may have lowered debut expectations somewhat...when was the last time we were 'impressed' by a player on his debut? Owen...not really, Barton...injured, Beye...quiet, Enrique...overweight, Viduka...overweight?, Smith...booked, Luque...injured, etc

The point with Nicky Butt is that these poor performances are becoming looking more and more frequent, he is highlighted because we all see an urgent need to replace him.

Playing Devil's Advocate - the same was said about Speed.

The point with Nicky Butt is that these poor performances are becoming looking more and more frequent, he is highlighted because we all see an urgent need to replace him.

TBF Nicky Butt was insanely bad today.

I'll forgive him the odd misplaced pass, but the way he kept getting caught on the ball was crazy. He was totally unaware of anything going on around him. He was so slow and laboured. I think people have every right to be worried about it.

This has been an ongoing concern of mine, perhaps it's just the nature of this forum, but there seem to be bizarre levels of positivity/negativity banded around - highlighted by the match reaction to today's game.

For example, Nicky Butt wasn't on his best form today, he broke down a few attacks and for the most part, kept Scholes in check. However, he noticeably gave the ball away three or four times in our half, before giving away the free-kick at the end - all of a suddent he's atrocious and "should never be near the first team".

How can a supporter of the team say that about someone who has just given his all to earn our team an unlikely point?

By all means, look to bring in another player to improve the team as a whole, but regardless of his three or four mistakes he contributed to the team's overall performance.

Similarly, N'Zogbia - brought in to play at left-back, partly because of the crowd's reaction to Enrique's two mistakes in pre-season - and he gets slaughtered for not having one of his better games. From what I saw, he didn't do too badly, two or three passes went astray and he was dispossesed in our own half by Brown (oops!) but I didn't think his standard was that much lower than the team as a whole.

In contrast, Jonas - who was fantastic, simply one of the best debuts for a Newcastle player that I can recall - is suddenly the new messiah. While he has cheered me up no end, I would like to see this form replicated week-in, week-out before I have his name tattooed on my arse.

The mood swings about players in our team are scary at times. I haven't even started on Smith (disgraceful comments on here and elsewhere) and Milner (amazed at some comments today).

Nicky Butt hasn't become atrocious all of a sudden, I wouldn't even go as far as saying that he's atrocious at all but he was the worst player in our team today and did what he usually does, he gave away posession while under little or no pressure.  It's nothing new as he does it far too often, the difference today was the number of times he could have handed Man U a win when others around him were trying to get the points for us.

Aye. Did the dirty work well today but when he needed that quick touch or pass his mind was just that little bit too slow. Caught in possession a number of times when he shouldn't have been.

He's a trusty squad player but needs replacing.

Do you not feel that all of our new signings should be so committed and fired-up when making their debuts..?

Our previous signings may have lowered debut expectations somewhat...when was the last time we were 'impressed' by a player on his debut? Owen...not really, Barton...injured, Beye...quiet, Enrique...overweight, Viduka...overweight?, Smith...booked, Luque...injured, etc

That was why it was so brilliant. It wasn't just his commitment but his ability also! He was electric.

I loved the instance where Rooney tried to chase him down and he just blew past him with some brilliant footwork and change of pace. It's been a while since we had the pleasure of witnessing such ability in our team and I can understand why people are so excited.

Aye. Did the dirty work well today but when he needed that quick touch or pass his mind was just that little bit too slow. Caught in possession a number of times when he shouldn't have been.

Yeah, this. It's not just the obvious mistakes where he loses possession that are annoying. It's when he fails to take advantage of a promising situation because he's not sufficiently confident or imaginative on the ball. That's really costly, because the DM tends to see a lot of the ball.

The prime example was in about the 70th minute. Colo won the ball around the half way line, and the ball fell towards Butt. Colo instantly saw an opportunity and bombed forward into space to receive the ball. Butt was so busy concentrating on keeping possession that he passed the ball back to his back four.

Playing Devil's Advocate - the same was said about Speed.

The two can't be compared in my eyes.

Yeah, this. It's not just the obvious mistakes where he loses possession that are annoying. It's when he fails to take advantage of a promising situation because he's not sufficiently confident or imaginative on the ball. That's really costly, because the DM tends to see a lot of the ball.

The prime example was in about the 70th minute. Colo won the ball around the half way line, and the ball fell towards Butt. Colo instantly saw an opportunity and bombed forward into space to receive the ball. Butt was so busy concentrating on keeping possession that he passed the ball back to his back four.

It's interesting to note that the London media are all praising Butt's performance "exceptional" was one comment, while I'm not saying Butt was better than anyone else, it's worth pointing out that these comments are coming from people unrelated to the club (not supporters) and aren't likely to have a pre-existing view of a player.

Butt could have made two or three outstanding long-range passes (he made at least one) which would go unnoticed as his critics focus upon his mistakes. However, Owen could have done the same thing but instead we focus upon his good points.