Steven Taylor

Guest meursault1

disagree. 

you disagree about the defending being embarrassing i guess.

But yeah his antics are getting embarrassing. I hope he never gets rewarded for it (although he indirectly did last night). Hope he cuts it out.

Guest thommo78

Way over the top critisim. Leave the kid alone. All he wants to do is die for the cause. God knows we need more players like him who even though aren't performing as well as they should, can never be accussed of doing all they can to get 3 points for a club they care about!! Every team dives get over it!

All he wants to do is die for the cause.

that is fine, but there are different ways of going about it.

Every team dives get over it!

Shut up. If one his pathetic dives won us a game, I would not be pleased.

Sorry like lads but I agree to a point, he starting to appear as the club clown, he does stupid things durring games that could cost us, he was so fkn lucky to stay on the pitch yesterday after the elbow, he was lucky not to be booked for diving and sometimes he plays the fool with the ball at his feet instead of just getting rid. Can be a class player but he does not appear to be very  mature at all.

Even with my eyesight from the other end I could tell he had thrown himself, okay the pause it caused give Rossi the splitt second he needed to turn and shoot, but Taylor was really lucky not to be booked for it.

I didn't see the dive as I was right down the other end of the stadium, it just looked like a penalty to me, but it must have been bad if his own fans are pissed about it.

the thing, in all fairness, there maybe was a foul in there somewhere!! But Taylor sure made the ref's job easy with such blatent uberoverreacting.

It wasn't good but i think the criticism is a bit over the top. I think everybody dives at some points, or just goes over the top, the bad thing was - he's crap at diving! :lol:

He's young and inexperienced as of yet, and i'm sure it will get out of his game. If he doesn't get rid of it, i'm sure the likes of Roeder will drill it out of him.

Guest thommo78

I love all the self richousness on here. Everyone on here profess to be whiter than white on a football pitch!! I bet noone gave Rooney or Gerrard this much flack when they were getting sent off for serious offences like stamping etc. He's young, he wants to do well for the club. he will learn..end of!!! Why blow it up to be something it's not. I'm sure he'll see the replay, take some stick from the lads in training and put it down to experience and get on with it!! Give the lad a break!!

Guest Gemmill

I love all the self richousness on here. Everyone on here profess to be whiter than white on a football pitch!! I bet noone gave Rooney or Gerrard this much flack when they were getting sent off for serious offences like stamping etc. He's young, he wants to do well for the club. he will learn..end of!!! Why blow it up to be something it's not. I'm sure he'll see the replay, take some stick from the lads in training and put it down to experience and get on with it!! Give the lad a break!!

How do you know any of that?  What makes you think it'll magically disappear from his game?  He's done the handball followed by theatrics twice now, and then last night's dive as well. 

I'm not THAT arsed about it, but for his own sake he should pack it in sharpish before he gets a reputation as a cheating little tart.

He made me miss the goal, the twat.  He dived, so everyone stood up infront of me appealing for a penalty, which it blatantly wasn't, so I didn't stand up.  I then saw the ball trickle into the only bit of net I could see, and Rossi wheeling away.

He made me miss the goal, the ****.  He dived, so everyone stood up infront of me appealing for a penalty, which it blatantly wasn't, so I didn't stand up.  I then saw the ball trickle into the only bit of net I could see, and Rossi wheeling away.

:lol:

Every team dives get over it!

Shut up. If one his pathetic dives won us a game, I would not be pleased.

We really have to rid ourselves of this losing mentality.  If we were in a tight game where we need the points and we were awarded a penalty from a Taylor dive, I'd be over the moon personally.

The problem isn't his cheating, it's that his cheating isn't particularly convincing at the moment.

I've been watching Taylor closely since he first started making a name for himself for our youth team and for England under-18's. I remember seeing him in a match against Man. U (Northern Intermediate League Cup Final, I think?), which we actually won! I came away convinced I'd seen a future Newcastle and England captain.

Since he broke into our first-team I've been a little disappointed with him. On his debut agaist Bolton, he got out-muscled which led  to their winning goal. On that occassion I felt he was very unlucky as it was probably a foul. Since then, when he has played, Taylor seems to have decided (or been told?) to "get tough". He has now developed an over-physical style of defending which seems to rely on brawn rather than brain.

To me, like Bramble (and to a lesser extent Parker), Taylor throws himself into far too many wild and reckless tackles. This is often very popular with many in the crowd but results in us conceding unneccessary free-kicks and penalties, with him getting carded then suspended. His recent red-card for England under-21's was a good example, tho' he was very unlucky with his first booking.

Defending is not just about spectacular, crowd-pleasing tackles. The best defenders hardly ever need to do this as their positional play and anticipation means that they don't often need to risk "selling themselves". Good defenders will know when they can intercept the ball. If they can't, they stay goal-side, force the attacker away from the goal and wait for them to make a mistake. Then they can "nick" the ball when the time is right. Unfortunately when our defenders try and do this, half the crowd are screaming "get stuck-in", "put a foot-in" or "kick 'em up a height"! Sure, there are times when defenders have to block shots, 50-50 tackles,etc. but these should (hopefully) be few and far-between.

Taylor has also got into other bad habits. One of these is his use of the elbow when challenging for the ball. On 2 recent occassions (Boro and Pompey) he's been very lucky not to have been red-carded for "throwing an arm" into an opponents face / throat. When trying to hold-off an opponent, it's fair enough using your upper body-strength (even an old-fashioned shoulder-charge) but  NOT the elbow / fore-arm.

The last bad habit is Taylors propensity to play-act and dive. Trying to con the ref into thinking the ball's hit your stomach when you've blocked a shot with your hand (twice now!) is relatively harmless and actually very funny. He's gaining a national reputation for this. More worrying is that he's now also developing a reputation for grossly exagerated dives when he himself has been tackled. Taylor relishes full-bloodied tackles where he takes-out man and ball, so it's hypocritical for him to dive. With all the TV coverage these days Taylor will simply become a laughing-stock amongst players, fans and the media. Ref's will also take note and be less likely to give him decisions in the future, when he has been fouled.

Anyway, I still believe Taylor will become a great defender and our future skipper and an international player. However it's no good managers and coaches ignoring his faults or he'll never learn and develop. It's also important that us fans don't encourage or accept his bad habits. My advise to Taylor is model yourself on Bobby Moore, Beckanbauer or even your own boss Roeder. They were all classy defenders who didn't go round trying to kick / elbow the opposition.

I've been watching Taylor closely since he first started making a name for himself for our youth team and for England under-18's. I remember seeing him in a match against Man. U (Northern Intermediate League Cup Final, I think?), which we actually won! I came away convinced I'd seen a future Newcastle and England captain.

Since he broke into our first-team I've been a little disappointed with him. On his debut agaist Bolton, he got out-muscled which led  to their winning goal. On that occassion I felt he was very unlucky as it was probably a foul. Since then, when he has played, Taylor seems to have decided (or been told?) to "get tough". He has now developed an over-physical style of defending which seems to rely on brawn rather than brain.

To me, like Bramble (and to a lesser extent Parker), Taylor throws himself into far too many wild and reckless tackles. This is often very popular with many in the crowd but results in us conceding unneccessary free-kicks and penalties, with him getting carded then suspended. His recent red-card for England under-21's was a good example, tho' he was very unlucky with his first booking.

Defending is not just about spectacular, crowd-pleasing tackles. The best defenders hardly ever need to do this as their positional play and anticipation means that they don't often need to risk "selling themselves". Good defenders will know when they can intercept the ball. If they can't, they stay goal-side, force the attacker away from the goal and wait for them to make a mistake. Then they can "nick" the ball when the time is right. Unfortunately when our defenders try and do this, half the crowd are screaming "get stuck-in", "put a foot-in" or "kick 'em up a height"! Sure, there are times when defenders have to block shots, 50-50 tackles,etc. but these should (hopefully) be few and far-between.

Taylor has also got into other bad habits. One of these is his use of the elbow when challenging for the ball. On 2 recent occassions (Boro and Pompey) he's been very lucky not to have been red-carded for "throwing an arm" into an opponents face / throat. When trying to hold-off an opponent, it's fair enough using your upper body-strength (even an old-fashioned shoulder-charge) but  NOT the elbow / fore-arm.

The last bad habit is Taylors propensity to play-act and dive. Trying to con the ref into thinking the ball's hit your stomach when you've blocked a shot with your hand (twice now!) is relatively harmless and actually very funny. He's gaining a national reputation for this. More worrying is that he's now also developing a reputation for grossly exagerated dives when he himself has been tackled. Taylor relishes full-bloodied tackles where he takes-out man and ball, so it's hypocritical for him to dive. With all the TV coverage these days Taylor will simply become a laughing-stock amongst players, fans and the media. Ref's will also take note and be less likely to give him decisions in the future, when he has been fouled.

Anyway, I still believe Taylor will become a great defender and our future skipper and an international player. However it's no good managers and coaches ignoring his faults or he'll never learn and develop. It's also important that us fans don't encourage or accept his bad habits. My advise to Taylor is model yourself on Bobby Moore, Beckanbauer or even your own boss Roeder. They were all classy defenders who didn't go round trying to kick / elbow the opposition.

Amen.