What Really Happened VS Man U

Guest ObaStar

Guest ObaStar

Ok so everyone is saying it was their reserves blah blah blah.

Truth be told is that we were missing almost as many impact players as they were.

We were missing Owen, Viduka, Barton and Geremi. All first teamers and two captains.

They accounted for 49 percent of our goals last year.

They were missing 4 first teamers as well. Ronaldo, Tevez, Nani and Anderson.

These 4 accounted for 59 percent of Man U's goals last year.

Man U had their entire choice back 5 from last year. Whilst we had a big hole at LB today. And lets keep in mind that Man U only scored when we had 10 men on the pitch.

I think that yesterday 2 very similarly matched teams with very similar absences played for a draw. I do not think it is the case where we got lucky and got to Man U on an off day.

Our last 3 matches:

2-2 Draw with PSV. And we let them off the hook in that game

2-1 Win over Valencia. Very good team. Spanish cup winners etc.

1-1 Draw with Man U. European Champions and possibly best team in the world.

All of these without Owen, Viduka or Barton

I think if we can follow up this performance with a solid win against Bolton we can be looking at a very successful (for our standards) season. This meaning top 7 and qualifying for Europe even if its just the inter toto cup.

Don't forget that 9 of the 'weakened' Man Utd team that started yesterday picked up Champion League winners medals in May

Not sure if Fletcher played

Not a a bad 'reserve' team

The Bolton game is important

If we can turn in that kind of performance again our season will be up and running

I think their missing impact players, Ronaldo and Tevez would have made much more impact than ours.

To say it would have been the same game had Tevez and Ronaldo started is very biased. Also a fit or available Carrick, Giggs, Nani, Hargreaves  and Anderson would all of made a huge difference in the second half.

We played very well, caught them a bit short and deserved to draw if not win.  But thats all it was.

Lets see what happens against Arsenal, if we do simialr then I may start getting a bit carried away.

To be fair as it turned we was forced to play a more defensive 4-4-1-1 formation with Duff sitting deeper rather than a 4-4-2 with Martins plus either Owen or Viduka, could have been a blessing in disguise but who knows.

Man U looked a bit dodgy on crosses which surprised me a bit!

I doubt they saw this as a threat,  they'd probably be focussing on Martin's pace and would probably not expect Martins to outjump their defenders along with the fact if they watched our crossing from last season they would have pushed more people along to the near post.

I think their missing impact players, Ronaldo and Tevez would have made much more impact than ours.

To say it would have been the same game had Tevez and Ronaldo started is very biased. Also a fit or available Carrick, Giggs, Nani, Hargreaves  and Anderson would all of made a huge difference in the second half.

We played very well, caught them a bit short and deserved to draw if not win.  But thats all it was.

Lets see what happens against Arsenal, if we do simialr then I may start getting a bit carried away.

It's a futile argument tbh. We can go on about who was missing from the Man U line-up all day, and still can't say for certain we wouldn't have got the same result (or better even) had the obvious players been on the pitch. You can only play what's in front of you, and the game was between NUFC and Man Utd, two football clubs. Who was on the pitch is irrelevant, and history books will say that the game ended 1-1, with the two sides sharing the points.

Ok so everyone is saying it was their reserves blah blah blah.

Truth be told is that we were missing almost as many impact players as they were.

We were missing Owen, Viduka, Barton and Geremi. All first teamers and two captains.

They accounted for 49 percent of our goals last year.

They were missing 4 first teamers as well. Ronaldo, Tevez, Nani and Anderson.

These 4 accounted for 59 percent of Man U's goals last year.

Man U had their entire choice back 5 from last year. Whilst we had a big hole at LB today. And lets keep in mind that Man U only scored when we had 10 men on the pitch.

I think that yesterday 2 very similarly matched teams with very similar absences played for a draw. I do not think it is the case where we got lucky and got to Man U on an off day.

Our last 3 matches:

2-2 Draw with PSV. And we let them off the hook in that game

2-1 Win over Valencia. Very good team. Spanish cup winners etc.

1-1 Draw with Man U. European Champions and possibly best team in the world.

All of these without Owen, Viduka or Barton

I think if we can follow up this performance with a solid win against Bolton we can be looking at a very successful (for our standards) season. This meaning top 7 and qualifying for Europe even if its just the inter toto cup.

Neither team was playing for a draw, I'm sure of that.

It's a futile argument tbh. We can go on about who was missing from the Man U line-up all day, and still can't say for certain we wouldn't have got the same result (or better even) had the obvious players been on the pitch. You can only play what's in front of you, and the game was between NUFC and Man Utd, two football clubs. Who was on the pitch is irrelevant, and history books will say that the game ended 1-1, with the two sides sharing the points.

Sentiments shared. I am just happy that they won... onto the next match now.

Sentiments shared. I am just happy that they won... onto the next match now.

:-X

No better than the home performance against a depleted Arsenal team last year.

Nowt to get your nickers in a twist over.

You can give many examples like that; the 4-2 win over West Ham with Souness, the 4-1 win over Alkmaar with Roeder, the Arsenal game with Allardyce - and sat that this one is no different... the difference here is, we have several better performers and a manager who isn't guaranteed to make it all go tits up in a couple weeks' time.

You can give many examples like that; the 4-2 win over West Ham with Souness, the 4-1 win over Alkmaar with Roeder, the Arsenal game with Allardyce - and sat that this one is no different... the difference here is, we have several better performers and a manager who isn't guaranteed to make it all go tits up in a couple weeks' time.

Nobody can know what will happen over the next few weeks.

It was a good performance.  I'll keep my feet on the ground for now though.

Nobody can know what will happen over the next few weeks.

It was a good performance.  I'll keep my feet on the ground for now though.

Absolutely, me too. Just for once it doesn't feel like we're papering over the cracks.

So gutted i didn't get in  :rant: Still havent seen the goals

What happened?

Got kicked out the ground and ticket taken off me for standing waiting for people at the bottom of the stairs. Steward was a cunt, basically picked me up and through me out, then after i had a go at him the police took me away  :undecided: Got another ticket and was then taken away by the police again. They nearly broke my fuckin arms carryin me away.

I am looking for somewhere to report the steward, but even after finding the head policeman, he couldn't do anything.

What happened?

Got kicked out the ground and ticket taken off me for standing waiting for people at the bottom of the stairs. Steward was a cunt, basically picked me up and through me out, then after i had a go at him the police took me away  :undecided: Got another ticket and was then taken away by the police again. They nearly broke my fuckin arms carryin me away.

I am looking for somewhere to report the steward, but even after finding the head policeman, he couldn't do anything. Any advice ?

Cut down on the drink and respect your elders?  ;D

What happened?

I am looking for somewhere to report the steward, but even after finding the head policeman, he couldn't do anything. Any advice ?

Should have waited around until the match was over followed him home and gave him a right kicking.

Any other method of action will prove fruitless unfortunately. Bloody Hitlers.

It was 4-2 against AZ, they went on to beat us 2-0 at home and won on away goals.

Good post though.