The Big Issue - Height

toptoon

Looking forward now after our result Old trafford.

I am worried with Faye gone, who i rated highly, i hope that we buy another Faye type player i.e. a large dominant CB who will snuff out the threat from 'Big man' type strikers.

Last year we got bullied in the air by a number of teams notably Villa's Carew who scored a hatrick whilst the one player who could have stopped him (faye) unbeliveably sat on the bench behind Keegan. I hope Keegan has learn't from this.

Looking at our next game for example Bolton they have a very very physical team: Davies (6'1) and (Elmander 6'2) up top, in midfield Muamba 6'2, Nolan 6'0 and coming up for set pieces Steinsson 6'3, Gary Cahill 6'2 and a certain Andy O'brien 6'2

We have a young Steven Taylor who is only around 22 as our best defensive header of the ball, who is currently injured. Who is going to replace him if he's out? Cacapa 6'0 is weak as piss in the air! Bassong (6'0) unproven, Edgar (6'0) is not the greatest either.

Other than Taylor's CB position we have Colo is 6'0 dead on and next week and will be a 'big' test for him, Beye is 6'0 and i'm not worried about him as he's pretty solid, hopefully Enrique 6'0 will play instead of Zoggy, but Enrique has looked a bit dodgy preseason.   

I suppose i am looking forward to O'brien marking Martins and Jonas playing again, but on the other side of the coin i have a feeling that Bolton may defend for their lives and launch long balls most of the game and i can see them easily see them scoring from headers.

Just can't help feeling that losing Faye is a fairly big blow especially if we don't replace him properly.

yeh i've always thought we lack physicality. we do have a good amount of pace in the team, but in terms of height and strength....we're a bunch of weaklings. part of the reason portsmouth did so well last year was the physicality of the team. and considering how many goals we could score/concede from set pieces, its a very important issue.

Looking forward now after our result Old trafford.

I am worried with Faye gone, who i rated highly, i hope that we buy another Faye type player i.e. a large dominant CB who will snuff out the threat from 'Big man' type strikers.

Last year we got bullied in the air by a number of teams notably Villa's Carew who scored a hatrick whilst the one player who could have stopped him (faye) unbeliveably sat on the bench behind Keegan. I hope Keegan has learn't from this.

Looking at our next game for example Bolton they have a very very physical team: Davies (6'1) and (Elmander 6'2) up top, in midfield Muamba 6'2, Nolan 6'0 and coming up for set pieces Steinsson 6'3, Gary Cahill 6'2 and a certain Andy O'brien 6'2

We have a young Steven Taylor who is only around 22 as our best defensive header of the ball, who is currently injured. Who is going to replace him if he's out? Cacapa 6'0 is weak as piss in the air! Bassong (6'0) unproven, Edgar (6'0) is not the greatest either.

Other than Taylor's CB position we have Colo is 6'0 dead on and next week and will be a 'big' test for him, Beye is 6'0 and i'm not worried about him as he's pretty solid, hopefully Enrique 6'0 will play instead of Zoggy, but Enrique has looked a bit dodgy preseason.   

I suppose i am looking forward to O'brien marking Martins and Jonas playing again, but on the other side of the coin i have a feeling that Bolton may defend for their lives and launch long balls most of the game and i can see them easily see them scoring from headers.

Just can't help feeling that losing Faye is a fairly big blow especially if we don't replace him properly.

They will be too busy defending thier own goal from our superior football, to be threatening us with thier height.

Guest Alan Shearer 9

How many times have we heard this bollocks about height over the years... Barca have a team of midgets, they can play football quite well though.

How many times have we heard this bollocks about height over the years... Barca have a team of midgets, they can play football quite well though.

agree, look at how the 'giant' oba martins got above man ure defenders

Absloutly agree hight idoesn't pass the ball it is just one compnenet and We shouldn't worry too much for hight.

Absloutly agree hight idoesn't pass the ball it is just one compnenet and We shouldn't worry too much for hight.

someone has stolen your ees

someone has stolen your ees

as in drugs?

Mark my words, if Taylor is out and we don't replace Faye we WILL get punished.

Hardly 'midgets' Pique 6'2 Marquez 5'11, Henry 6'2, Hleb 6'1 Gudjohnsson 6'1  Different bloody league in spain anyway,  give me a Premier League example?

Hardly 'midgets' Pique 6'2 Marquez 5'11, Henry 6'2, Hleb 6'1 Gudjohnsson 6'1  Different bloody league in spain anyway,  give me a Premier League example?

Arsenal.

Man Utd.

Tottenham.

Etc.

It can be important, but it's not the be-all and end-all.

Height may not pass the ball...no, but height and strength are quite handy things to have when you have to win a header against a big bastard CF. You have played football yourself before i take it?

Height may not pass the ball...no, but height and strength are quite handy things to have when you have to win a header against a big b****** CF. You have played football yourself before i take it?

like i said before,.... did you see oba score on sunday?

Arsenal.

Man Utd.

Tottenham.

Etc.

It can be important, but it's not the be-all and end-all.

er i think your point here is moot, they all have tall cb's good in the air i.e. Man u have vidic and Duck face who are both good in the air, Tottenham have loads, Arsenal played with Gallas 6'2 who is solid and  johan djourou 6'4 !!!

I'm just saying that we are short on a big physical CB now Faye has gone! 

Height may not pass the ball...no, but height and strength are quite handy things to have when you have to win a header against a big b****** CF. You have played football yourself before i take it?

like i said before,.... did you see oba score on sunday?

yes i did, great leap and great goal!..... But i don't think we should have him marking kevin Davies and Elmander.

wasn't everyone ranting and raving about Bassong's aerial ability? Colo is supposed to be (and what I saw from Man Utd) a rock solid defender in the air.

TopToon, not having a go at you - but you mentioned Stevey Taylor being the best defensive header of the ball - and I would venture to say not many people here will agree with you on that. I'd say currently Colo (from what I seen) and Bassong (from the friendlies) looked miles better in the air than young Taylor.  I'd also venture to say Habib Beye is pretty solid as well.

But regardless, you do raise the height issue - but like others have said - if anyone should be worried, it should be their defenders - with our pace and counter ability - they need to be worried.

Where are you getting your figures from man?

Gallas 6'2"? In stilettos, maybe.

I'm sure he's not even 6' mate. Then you've got his regular partner, Toure, who must only be about 6' as well.

Clichy isn't the biggest, Sagna is smaller than Beye.

Vidic, Ferdinand and Brown aside and Man Utd aren't exactly blessed in the air - we had them all over the place on set plays yesterday.

Spurs may have Dawson and King (never plays), but Woodgate isn't a tower of strength and their fullbacks are dinky as well - much like the rest of their team (who I believe will be all under 6').

I see the argument mate, but at least use some facts to back it up with, not made up heights :lol: