Now Martins is injured

Skirge

This is getting beyond a joke again, loads of injuries but its our strikers this time around, Martins(strain), Owen(Knee), Shola(hip), Sibi (toe). What we going to do on Saturday ? plat Rossi and Luque ?

I saw Martins holding his hammy after he tried the chip that landed on the roof of the net, he played on a good while longer though, might not be too bad but you just know it alwys ends up with our players missing loads more games than was first thought.

http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?hlid=424578&CPID=8&clid=4&lid=&title=Roeder+cautious+over+Martins

Glenn Roeder admits Obafemi Martins was taken off in Newcastle United's Carling Cup win over Portsmouth as a precaution.

Martins started the third round tie at St James' Park alongside on-loan Giuseppe Rossi in attack.

But the £10 million signing failed to reappear for the second half, with his place taken by Damien Duff.

Magpies boss Roeder revealed the Nigerian suffered a minor injury and he did not want to gamble on Martins' fitness with several important games on the horizon.

"He's picked up a slight strain," Roeder told Sky Sports News about Martins' injury.

"We are being very cautious with him.

"I didn't feel that it was prudent to send him out for the second half to see if it developed into anything more than a slight strain.

"I decided to bring him off and get Damien Duff on."

With the game scoreless at half time, Newcastle went on to beat Pompey 3-0 following a goal from Rossi and brace from Nolberto Solano.

Guest Imperio

If he can't play on Saturday we'll probably go with Ameobi and Rossi up front, Luque on the bench. Or even Duff and Rossi. Can't see Dyer being thrown right back into the starting line up straight away.

Guest Gemmill

Luque and Rossi up front ftw.

Sigh, I wish. Rossi's given Roeder the perfect excuse to leave Luque out of the squad for good, I suppose.

By being miles better than him?  Guess so eh...

Sigh, I wish. Rossi's given Roeder the perfect excuse to leave Luque out of the squad for good, I suppose.

It amounts to nothing in the long term, to us.

The sad thing you don't know and nobody knows, not even Roeder...

Would be nice to see Luque and Rossi starting...

Where are Roeder does know what Luque does in training, the ability he shows and the effort he puts in.

You don't.

Where are Roeder does know what Luque does in training, the ability he shows and the effort he puts in.

Do you honestly trust Roeder's assessment of (his own) players? =P

Honestly? I trust his assessment of the players more than that of anyone on internet message boards. No matter how incompetent he is, he has the advantage of seeing the players day in and day out, and should have a significantly better tactical IQ than the average fan just as a result of having been in the business so long.

If Luque had a prayer of being any good on the pitch, then I'm sure Roeder would have tried him out at the very least. (Assuming they haven't had some sort of falling out.) I'm not exactly Roeder's biggest fan, but I trust his judgement as far as squad matters go.

You don't.

And if you read what I said again you will see that I wrote NO ONE (including me that is) knows not even Roeder...It has nothing to do with training..Luque did not become the international player he is just yesterday...He is an established player who played great football for years and years before coming to Newcastle...Only idiots still need to base their decision on whether to play this player or not on 100% training effort without looking at his history as a footballer...

But that is not something unexpected from Roeder, at the end of the day he was the one who still wanted to watch Kuyt in a friendly action for the millionth time one day before the closing of the transfere market...Problem with Roeder he doesn't have faith in players and doesn't use history of the player as a way of judging players abilities...

The only reason Rossi was played because we didn't have any other option upfront...Shola is injured (thank god), Sebi is injured, Martins is struggling so obviously Rossi had to start..And you know what he did well and if it wasn't for injures the IDIOT ROEDER wouldn't have put him on from the start...Luque just need to have a number of games under his belt one after another and he will deliver the goods...If only he is given that number of games to prove his worth like Shola and Martins are given...

Rossi any Luque upfront will be AMAZING..

Honestly? I trust his assessment of the players more than that of anyone on internet message boards. No matter how incompetent he is, he has the advantage of seeing the players day in and day out, and should have a significantly better tactical IQ than the average fan just as a result of having been in the business so long.

If Luque had a prayer of being any good on the pitch, then I'm sure Roeder would have tried him out at the very least. (Assuming they haven't had some sort of falling out.) I'm not exactly Roeder's biggest fan, but I trust his judgement as far as squad matters go.

*cough* Stephen Carr *cough*

*cough* Stephen Carr *cough*

What've we got for alternatives? Taylor? If I was manager I'd be doing the exact same thing. Pat him on the back, send him out there, and pray that he doesn't **** up.

Guest Gemmill

Rossi any Luque upfront will be AMAZING..

Where do you come up with this shit?  Luque up front for Newcastle has been SHIT.  Rossi has been GOOD.  SHIT x GOOD =  AMAZING?

Have you played them together on FM07 or something?

Ignore the Luque problem, there's never an answer for that, coz Roeder simply won't play him anymore.

Am I the only one who think the 10m spend on Martins is a waste of money?

It's the same as Luque's, just one have more chance to play, one have none.

I think there is more to Roeders' team choices than just ability, he seems to want to stick with the same formular that has failed time and time again.  I think he is stubborn and believes that if he changes the favourite starting 11, except for forced changes due to injuries, he would appear weak.

I read somewhere (probably on here) that he refuses to play Bernard (whether fit or not) because he did not want to sign him in the first place.  That sort of attitude is wrong in any walk of life. 

We don't have a huge squad and there is not a great competition for places except maybe in midfield.  I think, given the circumstances, this weekend if I was the manager I would play Rossi and Luque up front, I would have Dyer on the bench in case we needed a change.  I wouldn't wait till 10 mins from time to make the change either.

My Midfield would be Duff,  Solano / N'Zogbia, Parker, Milner.  I would keep Taylor at right back and play Ramage with Moore in the middle and push Bernard in at left back.  I think he would play out of his skin if he got back in the first team.

Roeder has got to stop being so petulant and childish so that he can start to do what is best for the team as well as the fans.