Sun: Owen offered £140,000 deal

David Icke - Son of God

According to the Beano

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/article1575085.ece

MICHAEL OWEN was last night offered £21million to stay at Newcastle.

Owner Mike Ashley has handed the England striker the biggest deal in Toon history — a three-year contract worth a whopping £140,000 a week.

It would make Owen not only one of the Premier League’s highest-paid stars but also one the world’s richest.

The ex-Liverpool and Real Madrid ace, 28, whose current £100,000-a-week deal expires in the summer, could leave on a free unless Newcastle tie him down now.

A Toon insider said: “It’s the best contract the club has ever offered and shows the owner is prepared to spend big when it comes to keeping the best players.

“It’s also a massive vote of confidence in Kevin Keegan, who has always wanted Owen to stay.”

The offer comes after Newcastle battled to a gutsy 1-1 draw against Manchester Untied at Old Trafford on Sunday.

Ashley is also set to offer James Milner a new deal — after rejecting Aston Villa’s latest bid of £8m.

Guest shearer_united

3 things:

(1) I Don't trust the source.

(2) He is definitely not worth that much.

(3) The club would be a big joke if they offer him that much.

Football is borderline immoral, is it not, when players can earn so much money (and, god knows, I'm pretty immoral myself).

Lampard with his 5 year 150k a week deal, for example.

Will there ever come a day when enough people say "He's earning how fucking much?" and refuse to fork out for their season ticket or Sky subscription. Or both?

Hmmmm ... this better not be the Wow! signing  :shifty:

We could pay two very good players salaries with that money.

Our recruitment team could easily find a player that would replace Owen if we cut him loose. I have faith in them. Owen just doesn't deserve this money.

Brummie I agree with what you say about footballers salaries as it really is out of control. However, in Lampards case he has at least been very productive for Chelsea.

Offering Owen such a deal is definitely insane though.

It may seem like a fucking huge amount but......actually. No buts. It is a fucking huge amount but there may be some logic behind it if there is any truth in it at all.

Owen is by far and away the most marketable face we have. Having struck a deal with McMahon to be promoted in the Far East having a player like Owen on board is worth it's weight in gold. Yes, we have other good players but it's arguable he's the only player that people in that region who don't follow the club will recognise straight off the bat. If the club did successfully break that particular area in the world i'd imagine he'd make up for the extra 30-40k a week, if not more, in shirt sales alone.

Of course, it's all bollocks from The Sun.

Guest sittingontheball

Owen was already one of the world's richest footballers when he signed. Its not our largesse that has achieved or would achieve that.

FWIW he's the same age as Robbie Keane and look how much Liverpool paid for him. Plus wages of course. I bet Owen has outscored Keane in 2008 as well.

Guest Chubby Jason

If there's any truth in it at all, it's probably only 140,000 when including a maximum number of bonuses for goals and assists, winning the treble, and teaching James Milner how to shoot on target.

I would be all for him signing a deal that was structured in a way that if he plays and gets a goal he would get a huge goal bonus, rather than paying him a stupid wage of 140 grand a week when he might not even be on the pitch that week.

Brummie I agree with what you say about footballers salaries as it really is out of control. However, in Lampards case he has at least been very productive for Chelsea.

Don't get me wrong, Lampard has certainly delivered the goods for Chelsea, but *one hundred and fifty thousand pounds* *a week*.

We're so used to these figures we shrug it off.

Let's get the cunts on the maximum wage again, and shoot Jimmy Hill. And Murdoch.

Don't get me wrong, Lampard has certainly delivered the goods for Chelsea, but *one hundred and fifty thousand pounds* *a week*.

We're so used to these figures we shrug it off.

Let's get the c***s on the maximum wage again, and shoot Jimmy Hill. And Murdoch.

Yeah, I know.

Lampard's salary is so absurd as it is, but to actually pay someone who has been so absent a similar amount is infinitely more absurd, is my point.

David Icke makes an interesting point regarding the far east but still ... craziness.

Whatever the true figure, it has to be balanced against what it would cost to replace him with someone of similar standard. If we're going to have to pay £20 million for another top striker, plus his wages -- assuming we can even attract such a player -- then maybe it makes sense, outside of wage structure considerations, to pay this much to Owen.

Whatever the true figure, it has to be balanced against what it would cost to replace him with someone of similar standard. If we're going to have to pay £20 million for another top striker, plus his wages -- assuming we can even attract such a player -- then maybe it makes sense, outside of wage structure considerations, to pay this much to Owen.

The real question is did owen much exist? so it can be put into "un-replaced" bracket?

seems buy new one more logic than keeping him