FAO anyone aged 16-25 who uses national trains to get to Newcastle

Dave

Obviously this is aimed at those who don't qualify for the Magpie Mover deal.

www.16-25railcard.co.uk

£24 for the year (or £65 for three years), and saves 1/3 off all train fares throughout the UK*. Can be used when booking tickets online, at station ticket offices/machines, or on trains themselves if there is no way to buy tickets at your station. You just show it with your tickets to the conductor to prove its validity.

One year card can be bought up until the day before your 26th birthday and it carries on for a year after buying. If buying three years you can buy up until the day before your 24th birthday and carry on using it until it expires.

Can be fully applied for online (upload a picture yourself, ID with a driving license or passport number) and arrives in a day or two.

*Sometimes (like peak hours) a minimum fare applies.

Just posting this as a heads-up; it's going to save me a small fortune over the season (it'll pay for itself after three games) and I wish I knew about it last year or earlier. :thup:

Guest elbee909

There's also the Network Railcard if you're not a young'un but it might be limited to certain areas etc.  Regularly saves me a 1/3 off non-peak fares anyway.

This is just the former Young Person's Railcard is it not?

Had one for years, couldn't imagine getting on a train without it. Still gets ridiculously expensive on some journeys mind, with or without a discount. Not that it matters a great deal since the twats closed off Lincoln's train network for the ENTIRE Summer*.

*admittedly to install some new high speed rail services and to upgrade the signaling equipment and everything, so I suppose I should be grateful. They did this last year too which was annoying since I was on the train a lot last Summer (trips to Norwich, Northampton, London, and Newcastle), meant I had to get on a load of buses which weren't very well organised.

Aye, saves me a fair bit of £££ travelling up and down from Leeds for the matches.

Can also get them in any station with a manned ticket office should you not want to do it online.

Guest elbee909

There's also the Network Railcard if you're not a young'un but it might be limited to certain areas etc.  Regularly saves me a 1/3 off non-peak fares anyway.

The Network Railcard costs £20 for a year and gives savings on most rail fares throughout the South East of England.

http://www.railcard.co.uk/clientfiles/File/08-02-26_NCSD4c__A4_.pdf

:nope:

Well, all you northerners should move south then.  I look forward to seeing Newcastle United home matches taking place in various London stadia, their domestic teams having been burnt to death to make way for a proper football team.

Can also get them in any station with a manned ticket office should you not want to do it online.

Takes less than 5 minutes if I remember correctly.

If there's no queue. ;)

Plus I suppose you'll need a passport photo? Costs more. :razz:

Takes less than 5 minutes if I remember correctly.

If there's no queue. ;)

Plus I suppose you'll need a passport photo? Costs more. :razz:

Yeah true, I had a bunch of passport pics from when I started uni (needed them for exam/library etc cards) though, don't really look any different.

Guest Heneage

Obviously this is aimed at those who don't qualify for the Magpie Mover deal.

www.16-25railcard.co.uk

£24 for the year (or £65 for three years), and saves 1/3 off all train fares throughout the UK*. Can be used when booking tickets online, at station ticket offices/machines, or on trains themselves if there is no way to buy tickets at your station. You just show it with your tickets to the conductor to prove its validity.

One year card can be bought up until the day before your 26th birthday and it carries on for a year after buying. If buying three years you can buy up until the day before your 24th birthday and carry on using it until it expires.

Can be fully applied for online (upload a picture yourself, ID with a driving license or passport number) and arrives in a day or two.

*Sometimes (like peak hours) a minimum fare applies.

Just posting this as a heads-up; it's going to save me a small fortune over the season (it'll pay for itself after three games) and I wish I knew about it last year or earlier. :thup:

Aye helps me for games no end.

Only rules to rememeber.

Not valid before 9

Cant be used on the train.

Not valid before 9

Wrong on both counts...

It's valid any time. As I said, just sometimes there's a minimum fare.

Also, you can use it on the train if there's not a way of buying tickets at your station.

Guest Heneage

Not valid before 9

Wrong on both counts...

Also, you can use it on the train if there's not a way of buying tickets at your station.

Well I get charged full fare with it when I travel to Uni for 9.

And I was referring to if you run on the train without a ticket.

Not valid before 9

Wrong on both counts...

http://www.16-25railcard.co.uk/faqs/validity

1. Can I use my Railcard at any time of day?

Yes you can, however for all journeys made at or before 10am, Monday to Friday (excluding at weekends, Public Holidays, or during July and August), a minimum fare applies.  If you travel regularly before 10am, then a weekly or monthly season ticket may be more appropriate (a Railcard discount will not apply).

3. Can I use my Railcard if I purchase my ticket on the train?

If the opportunity exists to buy your ticket before you board the train, then you must do so, otherwise you could be charged the full price Standard Single fare.  However, if there is no ticket office, or the ticket office is closed and there is no ticket machine from which to buy your discounted ticket, then you will be able to purchase your discounted ticket on board the train from the conductor.

Not valid before 9

Wrong on both counts...

http://www.16-25railcard.co.uk/faqs/validity

1. Can I use my Railcard at any time of day?

Yes you can, however for all journeys made at or before 10am, Monday to Friday (excluding at weekends, Public Holidays, or during July and August), a minimum fare applies.  If you travel regularly before 10am, then a weekly or monthly season ticket may be more appropriate (a Railcard discount will not apply).

3. Can I use my Railcard if I purchase my ticket on the train?

If the opportunity exists to buy your ticket before you board the train, then you must do so, otherwise you could be charged the full price Standard Single fare.  However, if there is no ticket office, or the ticket office is closed and there is no ticket machine from which to buy your discounted ticket, then you will be able to purchase your discounted ticket on board the train from the conductor.

What it says on their website and what actually happens in practise are completely different. The ticket office will flat out refuse your YPR before 9 and make you pay full price.

In any case, the whole point of me buying this (and therefore posting it) is to save money getting up to Newcastle on Saturday lunchtime. So them refusing it at peak time on weekdays doesn't really concern me. :lol:

In any case, the whole point of me buying this (and therefore posting it) is to get up to Newcastle on Saturday lunchtime. So them refusing it at peak time on weekdays doesn't really concern me. :lol:

Yeah it is a useful thing to have if you use it during the right times.