Train Fares from London to Newcastle

kingkerouac

I'm looking for cheap fares to Newcastle from Euston.

What are the best fares to go for?

I'm well over a Young Person's Railcard so that's no use to me.

I know that National Express is offering £11.50 (single) fares but when I went on the site it wouldn't give me anything less than £200 (return)

Thanks in advance.

It's pretty pricey, but the key is when you go.

To get an 11.50 single you'd probably have to book 8 weeks in advance and travel only on a wednesday daytime.

According to some people it's possible to get a cheaper deal if you book in sections i.e. London->Stevenage, Stevenage->Doncaster and so on... but I've never been bothered to try it.

I can usually get a return for about £65 with a railcard, so I thought about 1/3 more than that would be average. Like I said though, travelling at impossible and/or inconvenient times is the only way to get a decent price.

I'm looking for cheap fares to Newcastle from Euston.

What are the best fares to go for?

I'm well over a Young Person's Railcard so that's no use to me.

I know that National Express is offering £11.50 (single) fares but when I went on the site it wouldn't give me anything less than £200 (return)

Thanks in advance.

What date you travelling?

http://www.nationalexpresseastcoast.com/Travel-Information/Advanced-Ticket-Alert/

I got the latest e-mail this morning (which meant I could book my trains for the two Monday night games) alerting me that the saver fares were now active up to 6th November.  The discounted rates for the dates you want will probably become active over the next couple of weeks.

• 7 months later...

Train fares are a fucking joke, pathetic, they can stick their fucking train up their arse.  :knuppel2:

£61 return from Manchester to Newcastle is pathetic, fucking pathetic. They are all that much for any of times I can go within the next 3 weeks. How can they justify such a cost for train travel from Manchester to Newcastle and back is beyond me, I've got a railcard so it comes down to 40 odd quid but that is still extortionate, when I first moved to Manchester in September 2006 I could get a return ticket on the day for £19.50.

I'll look into getting the bus.

Guest Heneage

Train fares are a f***ing joke, pathetic, they can stick their f***ing train up their arse.  :knuppel2:

£61 return from Manchester to Newcastle is pathetic, f***ing pathetic. They are all that much for any of times I can go within the next 3 weeks. How can they justify such a cost for train travel from Manchester to Newcastle and back is beyond me, I've got a railcard so it comes down to 40 odd quid but that is still extortionate, when I first moved to Manchester in September 2006 I could get a return ticket on the day for £19.50.

60 quid!? It cost me £30 for a return to Leeds and I bought it 5 minutes before the train arrived.

Train fares are a f***ing joke, pathetic, they can stick their f***ing train up their arse.  :knuppel2:

£61 return from Manchester to Newcastle is pathetic, f***ing pathetic. They are all that much for any of times I can go within the next 3 weeks. How can they justify such a cost for train travel from Manchester to Newcastle and back is beyond me, I've got a railcard so it comes down to 40 odd quid but that is still extortionate, when I first moved to Manchester in September 2006 I could get a return ticket on the day for £19.50.

60 quid!? It cost me £30 for a return to Leeds and I bought it 5 minutes before the train arrived.

My mate did the same journey (Manchester to Newcastle) on Saturday and had the same problem, he just bought a single to Leeds and stayed on to Newcastle and hoped for the best, made it no problem so that is an option.

Think they calculate it on the miles done by the train or something silly.

Usually have to pay anywhere from £13-£35rtn to come up for the match from Leeds.

Transpenine trains are shite n all.

There is never any cheap trains on a Sunday n all, the bastards

going down there for Oasis in June, just got the train tickets.  2 single's at £13 each with a 16-25 railcard, my mate doesn't have one and is paying about £21 each way.  Definitely worth you signing up for those early cheap ticket reminder things, its how he found out for us.

Having said that, the train is a joke unless you plan your journey 3 months in advance.  Paid £6 single to Durham the other month when I had to go to the passport office.

Guest Heneage

My mate did the same journey (Manchester to Newcastle) on Saturday and had the same problem, he just bought a single to Leeds and stayed on to Newcastle and hoped for the best, made it no problem so that is an option.

Yeah I mean really thats always dangerous, you can only really feign sleeping when the guy comes past. I have a railcard which saves me bucket loads, its paid for itself already this year, but I find those on the gate to be dicks a lot of the time.

going down there for Oasis in June, just got the train tickets.  2 single's at £13 each with a 16-25 railcard, my mate doesn't have one and is paying about £21 each way.  Definitely worth you signing up for those early cheap ticket reminder things, its how he found out for us.

Having said that, the train is a joke unless you plan your journey 3 months in advance.  Paid £6 single to Durham the other month when I had to go to the passport office.

My main problem is I never know when I want to come home until the day before usually so I often can't book them in advance.

Really wish I was coming back for the game with Shearer now but I need to be in Manchester, sucks, only been to 6 home games on my season ticket this season.

Still got a train for Tuesday afternoon and coming back to Manchester Friday evening for that price is pretty good.

The problem is having to book so far in advance and travel at stupid times. Obviously anyone who has a job will have to travel at peak times, and they're being screwed stupid by the train companies.

Privatisation doesn't work with services like this, all the disadvantages of the private sector without any of the benefits.