Quick question.

pinkeye

Last season I was in The Sovereign Club in the Milburn Stand, you could roll up any time before kick off and there was never a queue for the swipe machine so it took seconds to get into the ground.

Due to cost I have moved to the East Stand, my experience of the East Stand from years ago with paper tickets was that there was always lengthy queues at every turnstyle and it took ages to get into the ground.

Question:

Has the swipe cards helped that at all? 

(hopes!)

Guest Geordiesned

Judging from what people have said in other threads the swipe card system in the East Stand has been a bit of a disaster. Probably because there tends generally to be older fans in the East Stand the majority of which can't even operate a video recorder! (my dad for one)

Judging from what people have said in other threads the swipe card system in the East Stand has been a bit of a disaster. Probably because there tends generally to be older fans in the East Stand the majority of which can't even operate a video recorder! (my dad for one)

That is what is bothering me.  Most people have elluded to the fact that a lot of people in the East Stand seem to struggle with the concept of placing a card next to a scanner, that coupled with the fact that there are turnstyles in place I better plan to get to St James' a little earlier than I have in the past. 

Probably head up there at about 2:30pm and maybe even try a pint from a plastic beaker on the concourse!  Far cry from the warm carpetted bar that I have had the use of in the Sovereign Club, shame - however, not worth £990 for a season I can assure you!!

Tomorrow is liable to busy but normally is about a 5 mins queue to get in. In theory there is no point us having swipe cards as there is still someone who has to operate the turnstyle.

So really nothing has "actually" changed in the East Stand, the little fella still sits in the box behind the perspex and instead of handing a season ticket book or paper ticket over you scan your card then he opens the turnstyle then?

OK, better expect 5 - 10 minute queues then.

So really nothing has "actually" changed in the East Stand, the little fella still sits in the box behind the perspex and instead of handing a season ticket book or paper ticket over you scan your card then he opens the turnstyle then?

Exactamundo. If you're sitting lower down in the stand space will be at a premium on the bottom concourses and that n all, can't speak for upstairs.

They're probably still using staff because the swipe card system is quite new and people have loads of problems with it.

At Reading when they introduced the system, they started with people on the turnstiles - then they went to a few roaming people with PDAs that covered a number of turnstiles each. They could check people's cards and help them with any problems, but it takes less staff than keeping the turnstiles manned.

I reckon that's the way it'll go with us as well.

The swipe card and turnstyle aren't connected which is the problem hence the person having to physically operate the turnstyle. Haven't seen anyone have bother with their card apart from the the first game of last season which was the first time they'd been used in our stand.

Queues will probably be less depending on which turnstyle you go in but i go in the one at the top of Strawb Lane and its always a little bit of a wait, has been since they changed the stand.

I sit in the East Stand and its just frustrating. The thick cunts don't seem to know how to swipe a card in a machine and queues just build up waiting for one spacka who has been doing it all season to once again work out how to use the card. Its not that hard

Exactamundo. If you're sitting lower down in the stand space will be at a premium on the bottom concourses and that n all, can't speak for upstairs.

I'm in Block L on the upper tier but, I doubt the concourse will be any less busy than the lower one.  Went to the Valencia game and the biggest negative point I can say now, it gives me some concerns for the season as well, is the state of the toilets and only one very dodgy sink to rinse me fingers!!

Guest Gallowgate Mag

Aye the inside of the East Stand is long due an upgrade, especially considering we pay more than the leazes and gallowgate.

Never understood why you pay more. Worst Atmosphere, worse view of the game (imo), worse facilities than other parts of the ground and no leg room at all. 

Aye the inside of the East Stand is long due an upgrade, especially considering we pay more than the leazes and gallowgate.

Never understood why you pay more. Worst Atmosphere, worse view of the game (imo), worse facilities than other parts of the ground and no leg room at all. 

I like the view tbh although I sit on the halfway line, find it a lot easier to read/see whats going on and that than when i've sat behind the goal at an away match or whatnot.