ipod hacked.

Parky

The report I read was going on about the reverse tbh, ie being able to play music from iTunes on other devices than iPod only.

Looks like the Guardian have got the wrong end of the stick.

I don't own an iPod, but as Gemmill says, what would be the need to hack it if it can already play regular mp3s?

The point of this breakthrough is that with this guy's software you can use your iTunes music selection and not be forced into buying an iPod to play them on. You can play them on any other personal digital player.

Guest Invicta_Toon

I read this as he's enabled the uploading of tracks to the iPod as if they were from iTunes, when in fact they are from www.stolenmusic.com

I read this as he's enabled the uploading of tracks to the iPod as if they were from iTunes, when in fact they are from www.stolenmusic.com

That's what the Guardian's piece makes out. The Beeb I linked to says entirely the opposite.

Confused by this, have been using iTunes for years and limewire and have had a generation 3 and 4 iPod. Always played for me no matter where the source as long it is in mp3 format

I think the guardian may have got this wrong. The big hack was always to be able to transfer MY iTunes onto someone ELSE's iPod or iTunes.

My mate works for a IT joint venture between Microsoft and Accenture and is a total whizzkid, he said this was the hack that would break down iTunes. I can give you a track over MSN but as soon as you click to play it, it will ask for my itunes password. You can do this 5 times and then its unswappable.

If you hack it, you can swap as many times. Dont know still confused by this.

I'd have thought the idea would be that you could download tracks from iTunes and defeat the DRM on it so you could share it with other people or whatnot rather than having it tied to your iPod?

Didn't read the article like.

Guest Invicta_Toon

I have been doing that for years  blueconfused.gif

I thought the iPod only connected to iTunes?

don't know, not a poncy student. 3-4 albums and an FM radio the size of a chewing gum packet does me  blueyes.gif

funnily enough I was at an Accenture presentation last night

I'd have thought the idea would be that you could download tracks from iTunes and defeat the DRM on it so you could share it with other people or whatnot rather than having it tied to your iPod?

Didn't read the article like.

That is both what I wrote, and what I linked to on the BBC site. :thup:

The Guardian are talking nonsense.

Ah, cheers, David.  There was some moron going on about it today at college.  So thick he couldn't actually say what was done, just that "this guy hacked ipods, man, you can now upload stuff off it and shit", met with a blank stare then a mocking laugh.

Funny, his name was David too. :D

This making iPods even less useful.  Cheers, guy, whatever your name is.  You've served the world well.

Guest Invicta_Toon

Ah, cheers, David.  There was some moron going on about it today at college.  So thick he couldn't actually say what was done, just that "this guy hacked ipods, man, you can now upload stuff off it and shit", met with a blank stare then a mocking laugh.

Funny, his name was David too. :D

This making iPods even less useful.  Cheers, guy, whatever your name is.  You've served the world well.

The bloke is DVD Jon, the guy the who cracked DVDs at 15 and was sued by the RIAA (Well the movie equivalent)

he's famous btw  bluewink.gif