where were you on the day?

bulivye

is it really as magnificent as it looks?    i've never been to Newcastle or Gateshead, in fact i've been in the UK (London) for about 5 hours once during a layover, but, i'd love to walk across this & the Tyne Bridge before i die...

As someone who has only ever been a tourist in Newcastle I'd have to say the bridge is pretty cool.  Don't know how well it works with the old Quayside buildings and the like but when I was there a lot of those were being replaced anyway by the Arena and other buildings.  I'd like to hear some locals opinions on it though.

Guest Howaythetoon

A few summers back there was a festival or something around there and it was a blazing day, I went on a bike ride and decided to go over the bridge and stopped in the middle, what a sight, both sides of the Tyne full with people, sun out, Tyne Bridge standing tall and proud, music in the background, and the water alive with boats and people on those motorised scooter things, could have been in Australia or anywhere, very impressive.

Good clip that.

Aye, its a great bridge, cant remember where I was on the day like but I remember that massive crane, you could see it from miles around especially on the Metro going into Newcastle.

Great addition to the quayside.

Where was i.. I think i was sitting with my mouth open on how Liverpool could be awarded the city of culture over Newcastle. (Alright i know it was after that but it still stinks)

Think it was put up in 2000 or 2001, takes me 10 mins to walk there from my house and is absolutely ideal for getting to the quayside for a pint but, mostly I use it as part of my cycling route from my house to Rowlands Gill and back a couple of times a week, about 12 miles each way for those interested.

The quayside has changed immeasurably over recent years and is now somewhere to be really proud of as a Geordie.  My wife and her family are from Essex and they love it up here.

I can remember the day they brought the bridge up the Tyne and swung it into position very clearly, awesome!!

Also 10 years ago I remember seeing the Angel being brought up by road to the site it now holds.

Things like the Angel, Millenium Bridge, Tyne Bridge, Baltic, Sage, "Idols" [errm!] et al, these are things that make Newcastle special, things that bring visitors and wealth to the area.  I would so rather live where I do than anywhere else in the entire UK.

The High Level looks great as well now it's been refurbished.

walk across it every morning now just because I can and because the view is awesome.

Great after a night out, quick shortcut over to Gateshead Central Taxis... queue busting tip there.

Guest elbee909

I quite liked the Golden Gate Bridge, there are bits where you can kind of go underneath it.  Forth Bridge is easily as impressive (rail, not road, obviously).

I dont think there is ANY city in the WORLD that has so many amazing bridges in such a small area distance wise.  We have 7 bridges in a 0.89 mile stretch of the Tyne.

Sure some cities may have more and bigger and better bridges but as a collection I dont think we can be beat.

Also, alot of people dont really recognise just how historically significant most of our bridges were at the time of construction.  Really ground breaking some of them.

I just wish we had more!

:laugh: