Remote Desktop

Never had cause to use this before, but will do soon. What I'm wondering about is just what can be done through it. I'm aware files already on the remotely controlled pc can be accessed and transferred over, but is that it? Could programs be executed? Internet accessed? Files download via the remotely controlled pc's connection?

Thanks for any help.

So its possible for me to, say, get around a connection which blocks access to torrent sites, download what I want to the other computer via its own IP and then do a nice straightforward transfer of files between the two computers? If so, very good.

Are these settings which need to be adjusted things which can be read about anywhere - i.e. enabling remote connections on the receiving comp and such?

Do you know if there'd be any additional complications in having a Vista access an XP?

Finally, can one computer shut down the other or can it only log off?

Probably should've started doing this years ago...

Nee idea is the answer to most of that :(

I use it to access work from home, so the need for torrents etc isn't there :lol:

The settings stuff is just in the remote desktop connection application when you run it, worth having a mess around with once you've got your connection sorted, its pretty straight forward though.

So its possible for me to, say, get around a connection which blocks access to torrent sites, download what I want to the other computer via its own IP and then do a nice straightforward transfer of files between the two computers? If so, very good.

Are these settings which need to be adjusted things which can be read about anywhere - i.e. enabling remote connections on the receiving comp and such?

Do you know if there'd be any additional complications in having a Vista access an XP?

You can do that anyway even if it's blocked. You can use a site like browser9.com or http://w3privacy.com/ http://www.proxymy.com/ to get round most filters. There are other methods as well,

If you can elaborate more about what you want to do exactly ?

I had my internet access stopped completely by the i.t linux head manager at work. Using ipcop with umbuntu he denied my internal i.p a connection to the internet.

I got round it by just changing my internal ip to a number that there was no rule set for. He came into the drawing office while i was watching youtube then disappeared briskly back down to his server, so i changed it back.

I did this about 4 times but he never said anything. I don't think he ever got his head round how i was doing it but it was so simple.

You can do that anyway even if it's blocked. You can use a site like browser9.com or http://w3privacy.com/ http://www.proxymy.com/ to get round most filters. There are other methods as well,

If you can elaborate more about what you want to do exactly ?

I'm not stunned to hear that's the case - hopefully this largely won't be required - but I wanted to ensure it'd be alright because I'm not sure about the nature of the connections I'm going to have to use - speed, consistency, privacy (Virgin broadband?) and whether high-bandwidth usage will be noticed/tolerated. Basically, I'm going to be away from home working for prolonged periods for a while, and on the internet front will cease to be the master of my own domain. Hotels, longer-term (connection inclusive) renting and work connections will be my bread and butter in those times. During this, though, I'd like to be able to keep my behaviour as normal as possible - the (legally acquired) shows, music and games I want, as I want them when I want them. Youtube isn't so much of a concern, I'm sure I'll be able to use most sites like those. It just came to mind that if I'm able to do all that stuff via my own connection back home, I'll always have a route around a problem.

That said, this isn't the only stuff I'm interested in, but I imagine that if I could do the above I can do the rest. Never felt I've needed to to in the past, so I'm pretty much ignorant on getting around network restrictions etc.

I've only seen this in action so i can't vouch for it's effectiveness. I had a user support guy sort out some software/licences for me using remote desktop. It worked ok to a point but there were a few unrecoverable crashes which needed me to hard reboot the host pc at work and this was in windows 2000.

Can't you have a practice, btw i don't know if it helps but i'm sure that you can do anything with the host that you can do on your own p.c