First impressions of Bassong

TRon

Much better than I was expecting. Very composed, quick with good anticipation, quite solid. Looks quite similar to Coloccini without the experience obviously. The only question mark would be how good he is in the air. If he only cost £1.5m that's a steal tbh.

Guest optimistic nit

thought he looked very good tonight, but starting 2 cbs new to the PL at the same time is pretty risky imo.

We might have only brought 4 players in so far but I've got to applaud our new scouting network, they've done a cracking job.  We need more players in but I can’t fault the job they’ve done to date, Bassong looks to be a real bargain although it's still early.

We might have only brought 4 players in so far but I've got to applaud our new scouting network, they've done a cracking job.  We need more players in but I can’t fault the job they’ve done to date, Bassong looks to be a real bargain although it's still early.

Quality control is what it is, really impressive. No risks are being taken on anyone with suspect character, fitness or application.

Still be idiots in the media saying Newcastle have 'struggled in the transfer market'.

A few more like them please guys...

Guest optimistic nit

could be what is appearing to hold our transfers up so much. we wont just sign any old player, we're checking them through much more thoroughly. it might be that players we 'missed out on' were actually rejected by us because we saw one or more things that made us think that they would not make the grade (turan and gomis possibly).

Very impressed with our acquisitions so far.

I thought Bassong had an very good debut. Looks assured and seems a good deal for a french U21 international. Looking forward to seeing more of him, so I'd like to see him start in our cup matches like he did tonight.

Well done Bassong, hope he turns out to be a good option for us in the future, we shall see :)

KaKa rates him. So that's good enough for me.

:coolsmiley:

Indeed, your a smart man Tooj.

The young guy is quality.

No play acting here folks. A real defender. Doesn't just play one on T.V.

I'm reserving judgement.

Can't hurt to venture some qualified thoughts - you weren't over the moon, I take it. I was pretty happy with him, myself.

Fuck me...I shouldn't have started the thread and waited till I was proved right :lol:

I'm reserving judgement.

Can't hurt to venture some qualified thoughts - you weren't over the moon, I take it. I was pretty happy with him, myself.

Barely put a foot wrong but I'm feeling a little uneasy about the hype of our new players on very little evidence (other than Coloccini who I think is proven class), simply because when they underperform slightly or make one rick, that then gets pushed to the other extreme and they're shit/not adapting/not developing/whatever.

I wonder if we are really after a left back or another experienced centre back.

If anything happens to Colo (God forbid!) we are in a major pickle at the back as Bassong and Taylor as so young and inexperienced, well Bassong inexperienced, and Taylor well very average.

Enrique is solid at left back and Zoggy is not averse to playing there also, not to mention Colo being able to play there as well.

Think we migh need another centre back. Cacapa might have been okay, but it seems his body is trashed.

I'm reserving judgement.

Barely put a foot wrong but I'm feeling a little uneasy about the hype of our new players on very little evidence (other than Coloccini who I think is proven class), simply because when they underperform slightly or make one rick, that then gets pushed to the other extreme and they're shit/not adapting/not developing/whatever.

So you're not saying he looks possibly good now so that you can take the moral high ground when someone starts saying he looks bad if/when he makes a mistake? That approach never bloody works, man, it won't be remembered - might as well just go with the flow :D

Guest optimistic nit

Made a bamble-esque pass/mistake at one point. Looked canny apart from that.

aye that was his only mistake, i think part of the reason was he'd been playing for about 110 minutes, which is quite a long debut, so i'll forgive him for it.  (also possibly the first goal, but that was more a lucky deflection than anything).

wullie is right about the overhyping of him, since he has yet to play against pl opposition, but you can only beat what is in front of you, and he looked very solid.

I'm reserving judgement.

So you're not saying he looks possibly good now so that you can take the moral high ground when someone starts saying he looks bad if/when he makes a mistake? That approach never bloody works, man, it won't be remembered - might as well just go with the flow :D

No I just think making any judgement of a Premier League centre half against a poor Championship side is inevitably going to be flawed and people inevitably build themselves up for disappointment. He played very well tonight and that's as much as anyone can say.

I think some of the stuff written about Jonas and Guthrie has been daft too. They've both looked quality but it's what they do season after season that matters and I think a lot of people will end up disappointed because early on, everyone judges a player as a whole over a couple of games. If Michael Owen has a shitter, no-one mentions it and it's not a problem because he won't next week because he's a good player and has been for a long time. If Jonas has a shitter next week or Coloccini makes an error that costs us a goal, it'll be panic stations on here (OH NO THEY WON'T ADAPT!) and it's ridiculous.

Guest Heneage

He did well tonight against a potentially tough physical test. If he'd been signed by Sunderland , the Mackems would be calling him the new Desailly.