First impressions of Bassong

TRon

We might have only brought 4 players in so far but I've got to applaud our new scouting network, they've done a cracking job.  We need more players in but I can’t fault the job they’ve done to date, Bassong looks to be a real bargain although it's still early.

Quality control is what it is, really impressive. No risks are being taken on anyone with suspect character, fitness or application.

Still be idiots in the media saying Newcastle have 'struggled in the transfer market'.

A few more like them please guys...

nail on the head! the most spot on post i've read on transfers in a while. all 4 signings look happy to be where they are. the thing about character is very important as well. obviously we dont know for sure, but none of the 4 new lads look like they have it in them to get the club's name in the broadsheets for off-field incident etc...

oh, and on topic....

dare I say it? seb bassong reminds me of a very young marcel desailly  :frantic:

talk about going OTT!!! :lol:

tbh it looks as though he has adapted well to the team, looks like he knows what defending means, and looks good in the newcastle shirt (metaphorically). let's hope he's one for a very bright future here. excellent debut. well done

Calm, Composed and knows what he's doing, although he dosn't seem to be physically strong which was clear in their 2nd goal.

Disagree there. You could be 6 ft 5 and be as muscular as owt...but if you've got a player with a 5-yard run up and jumping at it, you've got no chance. Not sure what we could have done there.

Could be because it was his first full game but he didnt impose himself enough to warrant comparison with the top centre backs mentioned in this thread. Enrique and Collocini greatly impressed at the back last night, Guterez all over, and Milner outstanding up front.

I will definitely reserve judgment on Bassong for now.

Looked good last night, but as others have already said it was against very mediocre opposition. Give him another 5-10 games in the Premiership and I'll give you a better opinion.

This is correct. However, this is the right way to blood him and give him confidence. He's still only a young lad, and i'm sure he's heard about the stick our defenders always get. Play him against mediocre attackers, get him to get stuck in, and come out of the match with confidence. That's what it's all about.

If you're going to make any judgement of Bassong based on last night, you could say that he has responded well to Keegan and Hughton, and has gone out there and done the job asked of him.

Guest Gallowgate Mag

Calm, Composed and knows what he's doing, although he dosn't seem to be physically strong which was clear in their 2nd goal.

Disagree there. You could be 6 ft 5 and be as muscular as owt...but if you've got a player with a 5-yard run up and jumping at it, you've got no chance. Not sure what we could have done there.

[/quote

Take a 5 yard run from the other way and clatter the cunt in an "accidental" collision.

Guest tobiazvanderziaz

Looked decent though a bit concerned about their second goal where he and Collocini got bullied...

Like I said in the match thread I rate him very highly, he was cracking last night and was also our MOTM against Real Mallorca, he has great pace, reads the game well is strong and does not flap under pressure. Bright future ahead of him me thinks..

• 4 weeks later...

Having seen a bit more of him, clearly a very good natural defender, but not so comfortable on the ball, very similar to Enrique in that respect. I think he's going to become a very good centre back, and would like to see him start soon alongside Coloccini.