First impressions of Bassong

TRon

I would like him to start at CB in place of Taylor at the moment. I would toy with the idea of having Taylor at RB instead of Geremi, back that leaves us with even less attacking options. Taylor is very poor at the moment, I am not a Taylor hater but he needs a time out. I am sure Bassong would not do any worse.

• 1 month later...

I'm reserving judgement.

Can't hurt to venture some qualified thoughts - you weren't over the moon, I take it. I was pretty happy with him, myself.

Barely put a foot wrong but I'm feeling a little uneasy about the hype of our new players on very little evidence (other than Coloccini who I think is proven class), simply because when they underperform slightly or make one rick, that then gets pushed to the other extreme and they're shit/not adapting/not developing/whatever.

So you're not saying he looks possibly good now so that you can take the moral high ground when someone starts saying he looks bad if/when he makes a mistake? That approach never bloody works, man, it won't be remembered - might as well just go with the flow :D

No I just think making any judgement of a Premier League centre half against a poor Championship side is inevitably going to be flawed and people inevitably build themselves up for disappointment. He played very well tonight and that's as much as anyone can say.

I think some of the stuff written about Jonas and Guthrie has been daft too. They've both looked quality but it's what they do season after season that matters and I think a lot of people will end up disappointed because early on, everyone judges a player as a whole over a couple of games. If Michael Owen has a shitter, no-one mentions it and it's not a problem because he won't next week because he's a good player and has been for a long time. If Jonas has a shitter next week or Coloccini makes an error that costs us a goal, it'll be panic stations on here (OH NO THEY WON'T ADAPT!) and it's ridiculous.

Thought I'd bump this on the back of the slagging that Bassong and Guthrie are getting. :hmm:

Build 'em up, knock 'em down.

I'm reserving judgement.

Can't hurt to venture some qualified thoughts - you weren't over the moon, I take it. I was pretty happy with him, myself.

Barely put a foot wrong but I'm feeling a little uneasy about the hype of our new players on very little evidence (other than Coloccini who I think is proven class), simply because when they underperform slightly or make one rick, that then gets pushed to the other extreme and they're s***/not adapting/not developing/whatever.

So you're not saying he looks possibly good now so that you can take the moral high ground when someone starts saying he looks bad if/when he makes a mistake? That approach never bloody works, man, it won't be remembered - might as well just go with the flow :D

No I just think making any judgement of a Premier League centre half against a poor Championship side is inevitably going to be flawed and people inevitably build themselves up for disappointment. He played very well tonight and that's as much as anyone can say.

I think some of the stuff written about Jonas and Guthrie has been daft too. They've both looked quality but it's what they do season after season that matters and I think a lot of people will end up disappointed because early on, everyone judges a player as a whole over a couple of games. If Michael Owen has a shitter, no-one mentions it and it's not a problem because he won't next week because he's a good player and has been for a long time. If Jonas has a shitter next week or Coloccini makes an error that costs us a goal, it'll be panic stations on here (OH NO THEY WON'T ADAPT!) and it's ridiculous.

Thought I'd bump this on the back of the slagging that Kinnear, Bassong and Guthrie are getting. :hmm:

Tbh.

I'm reserving judgement.

Barely put a foot wrong but I'm feeling a little uneasy about the hype of our new players on very little evidence (other than Coloccini who I think is proven class), simply because when they underperform slightly or make one rick, that then gets pushed to the other extreme and they're shit/not adapting/not developing/whatever.

Thought I'd bump this on the back of the slagging that Bassong and Guthrie are getting. :hmm:

I didn't think he was that bad yesterday so I was surprised how much stick he has come in for. He looks like a CB playing out of position but hardly surprising since that's what he is :lol:

First impressions were right for me. Not the finished article by any means, but a very useful defender and a fucking steal at £1m.

Had Enrique started ahead of Bssong we would all now be slagging off Enrique and wanting to know why Bassong was dropped. Cisse would have taken Enrique apart, I thought Bassong did okay and should be given a go at CB when we get a new LB.

Was particularly impressed the couple of times he was isolated with Kenwyne Jones and he was in total control in these situations. Matched him for strength and didn't give up a thing.

Definitely needs to be given a go at CB.

Guest Sniffer

His distribution was very poor so I don't think he can play fullback but then  he doesn't look good enough in the air or strong enough to play in the centre of defence.

Only time will tell but he doesn't look like the answer to me unless he markedly steps up his game.