Barton & Guthrie?

Dave

In the event that we don't get in the attacking midfielder I think we all want (:(), could there be mileage in this combination in the centre of the park?

I'm meaning in a 4-4-2, with Guthrie sitting deep and spreading play and asking Barton to get up and down the pitch as he used to for City when he was playing well. Scored a couple of goals for them didn't he?

Everyone seems to be forgetting about Barton but at his best he's got to be a better option than Butt in there.

Thoughts?

Guest BeatMakerz

Beats having Butt in there, I mean Butt has done an average job but you just feel he is only a second away from a mistake everytime he is near the ball. Guthrie and Barton in the centre makes sense to me, they are good strong players, just hope Barton sorts himself out this season, I really hope it works out for him here because if he can re-capture that good form from city there can be no complaints, apart from the discipline of course.  :knuppel2:

I think a couple of people discussed this as an option a while back. Might look better than we think, but Barton needs to look a lot sharper than he has so far in his time here.

I thought Barton got better as the run continued at the back end of the season. The fact KK has taken the brave step to back him suggests to me that he feels he can get more out of him too.

Guest Heneage

Barton got more assits than milner. He put on a tremendous pass for Owen against Blackburn at SJP last year, showd true class. Bit of a slow midfield though. Would need more pace on the wings.

As said, I think he'll be an improvement over Butt in there.

While not a world class player, at his best he's the best CM we have and I think once fully fit and not suspended he'll be in the first team.

Still think another CM is essential though. Allow Barton, Guthrie and the new man to battle for the two spots. I'd be fine with that, with Butt as 4th choice and then leaving next summer.

Barton got more assits than milner. He put on a tremendous pass for Owen against Blackburn at SJP last year, showd true class. Bit of a slow midfield though. Would need more pace on the wings.

Jonas and N'Zogbia?

Guest Stephen927

Would have some real energy through the middle, and pace and directness with N'Zogbia left wing and Jonas right.

If they can work up and understanding would be good to see them taking it in turns to go box to box.

Guest Heneage

Jonas and N'Zogbia?

Jonas isnt really pace he seems more strength but i'll give you it.  My worry comes in the potential ability to recover on the counter Barton is slow.

Could well work.

If we get an attacking midfielder and get Barton back, then we'll be looking good.

But yeah, Barton could form a good partnership with Danny. Hes much better than Butt anyway.

Its about getting the balance right when in the center of the park and I think Barton and Guthrie would offer good balance.

Dunno about that, is Guthrie good enough to be the DCM? is Barton dedicated enough to do the role if Guthrie cannot.  Sad fact is that at some point its going to be used what with injuries ans suspensions.

It's decent, but it doesn't exactly excite me. A club hoping for european qualification should really have more quality in central midfield, and that's not even looking at what cover we have if one proves inconsistent due to being a youngster and the other spends parts of the season in jail or suspended.. Personally, I am more of a believer in a midfield destroyer/creator combination than two jacks of all trades but without outstanding qualities..

I really don't think there is any piont about talking about this combo atm. I honestly believe Barton will be banned and subsequently unfit until after christmas and you'd have thought if we don't get another CM now we'll get one in January.

Barton and Guthrie man. I rate both to an extent, especially Guthrie but come on. The more physical midfields in the prem would dick all over them and both are very limited going forward. Butt and Bowyer mark 2

I honestly think they would be quality.

Martins      Owen

Duff      Guthrie      Barton      Jonas

Zog        Taylor      Coloccini      Beye

Given

Thats my team

When exactly will he be available?  Ive lost track of whats going on with him!?!! Has he been banned?

Barton and Guthrie man. I rate both to an extent, especially Guthrie but come on. The more physical midfields in the prem would dick all over them and both are very limited going forward. Butt and Bowyer mark 2

Barton was one of the most highly rated attacking midfielders in the country twelve months ago. We shouldn't be looking to sign players to compete "physically" either. Apart from the fact that Barton is hardly a shrinking violet when it comes to physicality, how are Barton and Guthrie any less physical than Scholes and Carrick, Fabregas and Rosicky, Mascherano and Alonso, Johnson and Kompany, Reo Coker and Barry? I could go on.

Martins      Owen

Duff      Guthrie      Barton      Jonas

Zog        Taylor      Coloccini      Beye

Given

Deffo the team Id wanna see but we really do need atleast 2 more midfielders and 3 if Milner goes!

Then left back and striker would be nice

Barton was quality at City imo, I was wary of us signing him because of him being a mental and so far unfortunately those fears have been justified but at the time I didn't want him going to Everton because they would be getting a quality player.