Anorthosis Famugusta / Temuri Ketsbaia

abertoon

Temuri Ketsbaia become the first manager in Cypriot football history to lead a Cypriot club into the Champions League group stages with a 3-1 aggregate win over Olympiakos.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Congrats Temuri and Anorthosis Famagusta. He's got legend status out there.

Guest Gallowgate Mag

Congratulations to him, top effort.

Always wondered though how Famagusta can have a football team when the city itself is empty, IIRC being patrolled by nothing but Turkish guards. Shall read up on that one.

Guest Gallowgate Mag

For anyone who cares:

The town also played host to the football clubs Anorthosis, which has many trophies in Cyprus, and Nea Salamina Famagusta. Both teams used until 1974 the stadium of the town, the GSE Stadium (Gymnastic Club Evagoras Stadium) but after the abandonment of the city the teams moved to the town of Larnaca. Both teams have also volleyball sections. Anorthosis has the most trophies in volleyball. Salamina also was until 2003 the concecutive champion of Cyprus for more than 5 years.

Yup.

watched the game here (in cyprus) last night, and good old Temuri's getting his team to go out there and play the way he did. Keep an eye out for french central midfielder Laban, and Polish center forward Lukasz Sosin (good friend of mine  :aww:)

what I can't believe though, is that there were some Cypriot wankers cheering on Olympiakos instead of Anorthosis. Hate this greek loyalty politics crap. As far as i'm concerned, we politely stuck 2 fingers up the greeks and told them to fuck off

• 1 month later...

Bring him home ;)

Exclusive: Temuri Ketsbaia wants Newcastle job

By Richard Edwards, sundaymirror.co.uk 28/09/2008

Temuri Ketsbaia is a Champions League manager with Geordie connections who wants the Newcastle job.

But Ketsbaia has blasted Newcastle's decision to appoint an interim boss - branding the position "a suicide job".

The former St James' Park favourite is now managing Cypriot side Anorthosis Famagusta in this season's Champions League. Ketsbaia said: "This is no kind of solution to Newcastle's problems.

"There is no point in appointing someone in a temporary role, you can't just sit there waiting for something to happen in the future." No amount of money would have persuaded Ketsbaia that the position was worth taking on matchby-match basis.

"This kind of appointment is a suicide job," he said.

Ketsbaia spent three seasons at St James' Park after being signed by Kevin Keegan in the summer of 1997 and was a firm favourite with the long-suffering Geordie faithful. And it's those fans that he feels are being let down by the current regime.

He said: "Newcastle is a massive club and it's a real shame that they find - themselves in this situation.

"From what I had seen Keegan was doing a good job of turning the club around but what happened was no surprise to me.

"He walked out because he's the manager and it seemed that other people were going out and making the decisions that he should have been making.

"We are seeing more and more directors of football coming in and doing the job the manager should be doing.

"I had a great opportunity to play at Newcastle as a player, so why not as a manager?"

Guest Geordiesned

very very average player tbh, very glad Sir Bob took one look and got rid

Better than anything we've currently got in central midfield.

I would love if we appointed Nicky Butt, fack he'd be stupid to leave Anorthosis Famugusta tbh! Its great managerial experience and if hes successful in 2-3 years time still, then why not take over our club, but not now!

What sort of football do Famagusta play?

90 mph football. fierce defence, cultured midfield and monster forwards. he's been building this team for about 3 years now, and has assembled a decent group of players who have really responded to him and play for him.

If he gets them to the second round it's a bigger achivement than Mourinho winning it with Porto.

This.

As i have read, the team comes from a little town, its amazing they have enough players to even play, and on top of that they have all chances of advancing.

Amazing is half of it

The team is originally from the Turkish-occupied north. Essentially, it's a refugee club. One hell of an achievement is being witnessed here. Tbh I didn't even think they would get 1 point from 6 games, let alone 4 from 2.

Old Temuri's got them tactically spot on, and playing with their hearts on their sleeves. Beating the greeks last night was all that much sweeter. Thanks to copious amounts of celebratory tequila, i'm sat at home this morning having called in sick at work. Love it!! :lol: