3-4-3

stozo

My personal opinion is that we should play 3-4-3 on Saturday lining up like this:

GK: Harper

CB: Taylor

CB: Moore

CB: Ramage

RM: Milner

CM: Parker

CM: N'Zogbia

LM: Duff

ST: Rossi

ST: Amoebi

ST: Martins

I think this system would be hugely successful in home fixtures against teams like Charlton. When we play attacking football it excites the crowd and they get behind the team.

Lets look at our defenders first, Carr and Babayaro are huge liabilitys and this system would allow for them to be dropped. Moore, Taylor and Ramage are our best entre backs so they should be starting. On the defensive side of things I think that is the only midfield we could play. Solano wouldn't have the legs to be able to cover back whereas Milner is very hard working and Duff would have to play on the left as N'Zogbia fails to cover back a fair bit. Then in the centre we could have Parker hold as again N'Zogbia is slightly naive when it comes to defending.

Going forward this system would also give us a lot more options. We have a big man in Amoebi to win headers, then two faster and neater players in Rossi and martins to move the defenders around, run in behind and generally cause bother. We'd also keep our 2 wingers in Duff and Milner which would make sure the crosses keep coming in and then they can be supported from the midfield by N'Zogbia and Parker.

Thoughts?

[Disclaimer: Sorry Papa]

Initially I thought that your idea was very sound because of the consideration of almost everything.. but I do feel games are won in midfield [though they can be lost in other areas], and I feel our players would be over-wrought in that set-up. For that reason, I would propose:

----------------------Given

-------Taylor----Bramble-----Moore

Milner----------------------------------Olly/Zog

------Solano----Parker-----Emre

------------Dyer------Shola/Martins

Dyer: The proposed set-up would not be based around him, and should he get injured, just shuffle the striking pack.

Olly/Zog: Depending on whether we can afford to have another attacker in the side (e.g Chelsea away - Olly, Charlton home - Zog)

Bramble: I still rate him when he plays in a confident back-line - bereft of Carr/Ramage/Baba.. I think the above can be one.

General: Very attacking :D

Just my two cents.

Guest smoggeordie

[Disclaimer: Sorry Papa]

Initially I thought that your idea was very sound because of the consideration of almost everything.. but I do feel games are won in midfield [though they can be lost in other areas], and I feel our players would be over-wrought in that set-up. For that reason, I would propose:

----------------------Given

-------Taylor----Bramble-----Moore

Milner----------------------------------Olly/Zog

------Solano----Parker-----Emre

------------Dyer------Shola/Martins

Dyer: The proposed set-up would not be based around him, and should he get injured, just shuffle the striking pack.

Olly/Zog: Depending on whether we can afford to have another attacker in the side (e.g Chelsea away - Olly, Charlton home - Zog)

Bramble: I still rate him when he plays in a confident back-line - bereft of Carr/Ramage/Baba.. I think the above can be one.

General: Very attacking :D

Just my two cents.

Poor Duff gets nowhere near the team. I'd have Rampage in aheed of Bramble.

My personal opinion is that we should play 3-4-3

Interesting idea, whilst results are not going well for Roeder he certainly needs to have a think of systems and ideas on the training ground and with us playing lots of games being in the Prem, Uefa, Fa Cup, League Cup he needs to find out the right rotation polity also…

One thing that concerns me is he doesn’t not seem to know his best side either which is very worrying and has no forward thinking behind his selections however i could be wrong.

I am a big fan of 4-4-2 with movement and width I think that’s the way forward for Roeder.

You build around your strength and for me that’s our four midfielders of

–Duff—Emre—Parker—Solano— (Subs to change the game N’Zog, Dyer, Milner)

these four starters have fantastic mixture of qualities that make it a well balanced starting midfield, you have the Direct winger of Duff and the Link winger of Solano who a overlapping full back such as Steven Carr would benefit from and a possible Dyer inside him who prefers to make straight runs rather then Emre consistent predictable lateral runs.

I keep hearing Roeder complain about too many games but for me our Midfield options are perfect for many games its just Glen is not using them right, start with Duff—Emre—Parker—Solano and to change games and to bring energy into the 20 minutes of matches bring on N’Zogbia for Duff, Dyer for Emre, Milner for Solano.

On other areas of our team up front I would always pick a fit Obefami Martins, he is 21 and in a new league I think there is so much more to come from this lad though, so for me its who is the best complementary striker to partner Martins??? Siberski against Boro showed he likes to play off a striker and come deep to offer assists as well as goals if it was not for Martins unlucky finishing the partnership would of said to have worked well, however I have faith in Shola Ameobi who was a catalyst with his goals rescuing last season and getting us a Uefa Cup spot with his goals (somebody got his goals to game ratio since Glen took over???) and Shola would be my man to partner Martins with Rossi and Siberski pushing Shola for his place when he is not fit.

Despite what people say on here I very much like our experienced full back of Babayaro and Steven Carr and they would be my full-backs, the only real debate in a 4-4-2 of our side would be who is the best complementary centre backs??? I am a big fan of the up and coming Steven Taylor, Shepherd really should of brought in the experienced of Sol Campball or Woodgate who would have been perfect for Taylor to of learned and played alongside, now we can only deal with what we have and Ramage ive seen twice play centre back this season one clean sheet away at West Ham and one clean sheet home against Fernabache and both he was very solid and till January I would partner the two up and coming local lads of Ramage and Taylor with Bramble and Moore challenging there places.

----------Ameobi—Martins---------- Subs   

--Duff------------------------Solano--         ,Milner, N’Zogbia

------------Emre---Parker-------------        ,Dyer

--Baba------------------------Carr-----

----------Ramage—Taylor-----------         ,Moore

------------------Given-----------------       ,Harper

Harper

Carr --- Ramage --- Taylor --- Duff

Solano --- Parker --- Emre --- N'Zogbia

Martins --- Rossi

As it stands, with all matches and performances added up, that's our best team in my opinion. I still like Shola though, and woul dbe tempted to drop one of Martins or Rossi. probably Rossi. I'd drop Emre for Dyer though when he's fully fit. Dyer will help the two strikers immensely, as without having Emre - we lose the wayward long balls, and with Dyer - we get balls played on the floor.

Carr's played well in his last few games, and credit to the guy. He's come under so much stick from the fans, in spite of Roeder's crazy and blinkered comments earlier in the season. Taylor and Ramage have also improved just recently and Duff has played his best game for us, rather depressingly, at left-back.

Just keep Moore and Bramble out of the team. I just think both of them are bad news and are poor players. Taylor and Ramage have potential at the back there, and i think they can do well together - so long as they play!

3 at the back again!

It doesn't work easily and it won't work for us. Footballers in England are brought up on 4 at the back from a very young age, it's a massive ask of players to go to 3 at the back as it calls for an entirely different way of defending for centre backs. For example, they don't know what positions to take up and so they struggle with it.

I used to think 3-5-2 would work, but you'd have to give that a a real run of games to get used to it. We don't have that luxury. Chelsea for example could play 3-5-2 and walk away with the title...we don't have the players. I agree with Andy Gray when it comes to this. You can use what ever system you want with your front 6 players, but always have 4 at the back.

I've always wanted us to play 4-3-0-1-2 like Ac Milan.  Its a formation which outclass the 4-4-2 formation which is used in the premiership, but is shite against teams that play 4-3-3.  But as we lack central midfielders, and have to many wingers, it might not work.

If we convert Duff as a left back, push milner as a right back(Carr doesnt have the stamina or pace to run up and down the side).

Its a formation were we either could use Zoggy or Emre in a offensive role, Working offensive as a playmaker, and in defence he/they work as our first defender.  Our right and left back run up and down the side helping in attack, while our midfielders takes the wingback space and covers it if we loose the ball. In offence play, we will get many ppl up and out number the other team.  This system needs to defensive midtfielders, so we could use Butt and Parker in these roles, and again Emre or Zoggy in the central of midfield in the Pirlo role.

This formation might work, but I also think we have to have a formation that depends on the other teams formation. So if they play 4-3-3, we should play a 4-4-2, or 5-3-2 formation and etc.