Lerner shunned Toon

Skirge

Ellis happy the Villa were third choice  bluelaugh.gif bluelaugh.gif bluelaugh.gif bluelaugh.gif

Doug Ellis has revealed that Randy Lerner turned down the chance to invest at both Newcastle and Everton.

Lerner, owner of NFL outfit Cleveland Browns, bought Villa from long-term chairman Ellis earlier this year in a deal worth £64 million.

Ellis ended a 35-year association with the club by doing the deal, but he insists it was the right one for the Birmingham outfit.

"I have to praise Mr Lerner wholeheartedly," he said.

"There were five consortiums interested in buying Aston Villa but I always knew he was the right man and I have been proved 100 percent correct.

"They had looked at the likes of Newcastle and Everton and others but they all carried debts.

"But I had never borrowed a penny at Villa until 2005 and that was because we needed to rebuild the training ground at Bodymoor Heath and needed £4 million.

"Bodymoor Heath will be the best in the country. We have borrowed the best ideas from everywhere from Middlesbrough to Arsenal."

Ellis says it was his first impression of Lerner that persuaded him to sell to the American.

"It was instinctive. I am a devil for first impressions and he has kept every single one of his promises," he said.

"Randy Lerner gave me the right feeling the first moment we met.

"We were on the same wavelength from the very beginning. Mr Lerner and his people are not only extremely warm people but football people through and through.

"That was clear from the outset. They are absolutely driven by Aston Villa, the name, the history, everything."

F**k OFF

I reckon as part of his army training, ToonFanNorway has been subject to some of that special testing where they try and make bionic soldiers.  It's sent him fucking spacka-mental.  bluebigrazz.gif

:lol:

From what I know about the issue, Ellis should shut the fuck up.  He was the reason that club was in such a shitty state, with a crap squad and a terrible manager, and from the sound of it, with outdated facilities.  Keeping a club debt-free doesn't guarantee success, so he shouldn't act like his penny-pinching ways were well thought out, in order to keep that club in the bottom half of the table for years, waiting for a foreign big-money investor could suddenly come along.

I don't have any like for Villa really, but I don't really like big-money investors in football, and Ellis in particular seems like an arrogant, pompous asshole. 

From what I know about the issue, Ellis should shut the **** up.  He was the reason that club was in such a shitty state, with a crap squad and a terrible manager, and from the sound of it, with outdated facilities.  Keeping a club debt-free doesn't guarantee success, so he shouldn't act like his penny-pinching ways were well thought out, in order to keep that club in the bottom half of the table for years, waiting for a foreign big-money investor could suddenly come along.

I don't have any like for Villa really, but I don't really like big-money investors in football, and Ellis in particular seems like an arrogant, pompous asshole. 

Did you just type......asshole?

Ellis happy the Villa were third choice  bluelaugh.gif bluelaugh.gif bluelaugh.gif bluelaugh.gif

Doug Ellis has revealed that Randy Lerner turned down the chance to invest at both Newcastle and Everton.

Lerner, owner of NFL outfit Cleveland Browns, bought Villa from long-term chairman Ellis earlier this year in a deal worth £64 million.

Ellis ended a 35-year association with the club by doing the deal, but he insists it was the right one for the Birmingham outfit.

"I have to praise Mr Lerner wholeheartedly," he said.

"There were five consortiums interested in buying Aston Villa but I always knew he was the right man and I have been proved 100 percent correct.

"They had looked at the likes of Newcastle and Everton and others but they all carried debts.

"But I had never borrowed a penny at Villa until 2005 and that was because we needed to rebuild the training ground at Bodymoor Heath and needed £4 million.

"Bodymoor Heath will be the best in the country. We have borrowed the best ideas from everywhere from Middlesbrough to Arsenal."

Ellis says it was his first impression of Lerner that persuaded him to sell to the American.

"It was instinctive. I am a devil for first impressions and he has kept every single one of his promises," he said.

"Randy Lerner gave me the right feeling the first moment we met.

"We were on the same wavelength from the very beginning. Mr Lerner and his people are not only extremely warm people but football people through and through.

"That was clear from the outset. They are absolutely driven by Aston Villa, the name, the history, everything."

Not sure why you're laughing skirge mate, this is probably the best thing to ever happen to villa and we missed out, that's not funny really.

I would rather have someone buy this club because they love it and not becuase we looked a good business deal.

Lerrner looked at  us and Everton but then chose Villa, that makes then his third choice does it not ?

Lerner was not thinking ohhhhhhhh I love the Villa I just have to own them, no he was scouring PL clubs like a fkn Vulture.

Yes okay its good for Villa he has lots of cash, how much he is willing to spend on them none knows.

If it all go's pair shaped will he pay out more becuase of  his love of the club or will he cutt his losses and run ?

That story should have had a photo of Ellis with his thumbs in his ears wiggleing his fingers with his tongue stuck out going "nana na nana".. :D

Guest geordieracer

he looked at us, everton and villa and looked at possibilities and chose the one who was in the best position to buy, which was villa because there was no debts

and he would be a great chairman to be fair, hes already come out in the media to say that he isn't in villa for the money, but for the enjoyment to be part of the club etc and to see them do well, as when he was england doing his university degree villa were the biggest team in england.

i can't see it going to pear shaped with o'neill in charge either. Its weird really because it could easily be newcastle with o'neill and lerner in charge if it wasn't for debts, and whatever else he saw in villa to catch his eye.

I would rather have someone buy this club because they love it and not becuase we looked a good business deal.

Lerrner looked at  us and Everton but then chose Villa, that makes then his third choice does it not ?

Lerner was not thinking ohhhhhhhh I love the Villa I just have to own them, no he was scouring PL clubs like a fkn Vulture.

Yes okay its good for Villa he has lots of cash, how much he is willing to spend on them none knows.

If it all go's pair shaped will he pay out more becuase of  his love of the club or will he cutt his losses and run ?

That story should have had a photo of Ellis with his thumbs in his ears wiggleing his fingers with his tongue stuck out going "nana na nana".. :D

Sentimentality is a large part of what makes Shepherd bad though.

You want Fred out, who do you see replacing him, because if you're expecting some one to come, buy the club and just pour money into it out of love for the club, it's not going to happen. There is no Geordie Abramovic, such a person doesn't exist, but there are people who could come in and improve the club, but they'll be expecting a return on their investment, and if they do, I'm happy for them to get one.

You want Fred out, who do you see replacing him, because if you're expecting some one to come, buy the club and just pour money into it out of love for the club, it's not going to happen. There is no Geordie Abramovic, such a person doesn't exist, but there are people who could come in and improve the club, but they'll be expecting a return on their investment, and if they do, I'm happy for them to get one.

that is correct. But there are also plenty of people who would not improve the club either, and want a return too.

It's not as if the Shepherds and Halls are philanthropists. Both families have made fortunes out of the club.

that is correct. But there are also plenty of people who would not improve the club either, and want a return too.

LIke Freddy Shepherd, for example.

It's not as if the Shepherds and Halls are philanthropists. Both families have made fortunes out of the club.

Did I say they were? Sorry, I must have missed that bit.

Did I say they were? Sorry, I must have missed that bit.

Worth the risk, for me.

I detect a touch of jealousy, Skirge.

So, if there are three clubs which everyone knows are open to offers, and Lerner looks at them all, and rejects the ones with debt, and chooses the one with no debt, that makes it his third choice, does it? That's bizarre logic.

Ignore Ellis, his number one priority has always been, and always will be, to promote Doug Ellis

As for whether Lerner will be a good chairman, well so far, very good. A few examples - his right hand man on the board (General Krulak, former head of the US Marine Corps - how fucked up is that?) has been down in the Holte End several times during matches, meeting fans and listening to concerns, has called in the main fanzines to talk to him at Villa Park, and actually posts on one of the fanzine's boards (verified as him by the editor who met him at Villa Park).

How many clubs have board members that do that?

Within one week of the takeover going through (the next day, in fact) he had the building work on the new training facilities restarted after Ellis mothballed it for lack of money. Also on the board is Bob Kain, founder, president and former CEO of IMG group, which is probably something to do with why we're currently in talks with "a local multinational" (rumour is Cadburys) over a 100m sponsorship deal - this will be over several years obviously, and does *not* include ground naming rights. Again, confirmed from the board to the fans.

He's also resurrected plans to rebuild the North Stand end of the ground - this is good news for you lot as it means you'll have more room to maneouvre to take your shoes / shirts off on your once a year visit in the future.

He has also made it absolutely clear that this wasnt an "I've always loved the Villa" purchase.  He does love football, which he developed during his time spent in the UK, both as a student and with MBNA. Yes, he obviously saw us as undervalued - £64m is peanuts, and thought he could make the figures stack up, but there are far easier ways for an already wealthy man to make more money than football.

The new board have gone out of their way to make it absolutely clear that they are in it for the long haul -  he has also spoken several times of how he understands sport and the way it makes a difference to peoples' lives.

He seems a very humble bloke - avoids publicity, most of the time he actually sits on the steps of the stand with his kids rather than in the directors box. He's not going to be like Abrahmovich and spend stupidly, and we don't want that, but he IS extremely wealthy. His personal wealth is only around the 2bn mark, but he is managing his family's trust, and the family is worth more like 8bn).

Oh, and anyone who thinks MON would have come here had he not known Lerner was on his way in to replace Ellis is kidding themselves.

I really hope the Toon are as lucky as we are, that you get as lucky as we were with the new board when you get shot of FFS, you deserve it too.

Guest optimistic nit

:lol:

you may have to wait a while skirge.

No doubt mate, we will have to wait.

We can protest all w e like agianst Fred but come on we know he will never sell his 28% but if and yes its still a big IF we can get him out as chairman we could be saved.

We cannot complain about the money he has given the club but the decisions he has made on how to spend it and on the managers he has chosen is what has cost us.

oh and Brummie

So, if there are three clubs which everyone knows are open to offers,

Were we, are we  open to offers ? first I have heard of that.

No doubt mate, we will have to wait.

We can protest all w e like agianst Fred but come on we know he will never sell his 28% but if and yes its still a big IF we can get him out as chairman we could be saved.

We cannot complain about the money he has given the club but the decisions he has made on how to spend it and on the managers he has chosen is what has cost us.

oh and Brummie

So, if there are three clubs which everyone knows are open to offers,

Were we, are we  open to offers ? first I have heard of that.

Fair point on the last point. Apologies, I didn't mean to put it so literally, what i actually meant was believed to be receptive to offers - much like West Ham talking to potential buyers / FS talking to Belgravia.

FS will only sell if he wants to, I guess, much as Ellis only sold due to being at death's door, he beat decades of protesting fans without breaking sweat.

Guest Invicta_Toon

Freddy LOVES the Toon

blueyes.gif