Worrying lack of faith in Kevin Keegan

Dave

Why is everyone all of sudden questioning his every word?

This man is our best ever manager, and knows exactly what the fans want, but more importantly what the club needs to succeed.

Regardless of what happens in the rest of the transfer window, I trust KK to get it right.

He's not a liar, and the way some of his comments and ideas are being pulled apart is pathetic.

I hope you take this attitude from now on with anyone who questions the place of Smith, Duff, Ameobi, etc in the squad.

I'm sure we all will, but that doesn't mean that when he says 'Ameobi could end up being our top scorer this season', he actually means it. This is evident in the fact that Ameobi hasn't gotten a game yet this season, and neither has Smith even though KK says he's a hardworker and all that shite. To quote manorpark, actions > words.

Keegan is a massive liar by the way when he wants to be.

He is also a totally different person to the Keegan of old.

He is older and less dynamic (and less well known around the world).

But mainly . . .

He is not free to do what he wants under Ashley & co, to the extent that he was under SJH.

So, effectively, he is not the same Keegan.

(Still good mind!)

Although on the face of it Keegan having people in conflicting roles is a bad thing, in his case for all we know its probably a blessing in disguise. Keegan was an immense manager last time around, but he was not perfect by any stretch of the imagination - having alternative views and opinions around him would be nothing but constructive as long as he gets the final decision and is happy with it.

For example, maybe in 1996 when we had a side that was so close to winning the league but crumbled after the midway point, maybe he had noone telling him in his ear that the defence had no real leader at the back, that star defender/keeper, the ones that all title winning teams tend to have - maybe if there was a head scout or Director of Football who was able to point that out to him, we might have gone out and sorted the defence outright instead of just signing more attacking players because they were available? Maybe with that added opinion things might have been totally different and he might never have left on such a sour note having won nothing?

He might not be as dynamic as he used to be, and again on the face of it its not good to have someone lose their "fire", but maybe he's wiser and more level headed this time around? Maybe if we're in a position of such good fortune that others are playing mind games with him, he wont crack under the pressure as he did infamously after that Leeds game?

Who knows. At present, he seems to be tactically spot on, and we're doing very well on the pitch in terms of the way that we're playing at the very least. In fact, the basic competence we are now showing on the pitch mirrors what we saw under the early Sir Bobby days, where we went from a shit side to a decent one overnight with the same bunch of players.

There's not much to indicate that there's anything wrong with whats going on. If we're judging things on Keegan's first spell here, then by the same logicc we could say that James Milner is not a Keegan player in any way, shape or form - Keegan wont want grafters in attacking positions, when given money to spend he went for the Gillespie's, Ginola's and Apsrilla's in those positions - attacking players with pace or great skill. Keegan was a flair player himself, and I think he has a preferrence for what a good attacking player needs to have. Added to which, he'd have noted how much the performances improved last season when Milner, Duff and Smith were out of the side - that spell would have opened his eyes as to who needed to be shipped out because they werent contributing to what matters for their respective positions - assists and goals.

Guest Phil K

Why is everyone all of sudden questioning his every word?

This man is our best ever manager, and knows exactly what the fans want, but more importantly what the club needs to succeed.

Regardless of what happens in the rest of the transfer window, I trust KK to get it right.

He's not a liar, and the way some of his comments and ideas are being pulled apart is pathetic.

I don't think anyone's saying he's a liar or losing faith in him.

He can only deal the cards he's given.

There's not much to indicate that there's anything wrong with whats going on. If we're judging things on Keegan's first spell here, then by the same logicc we could say that James Milner is not a Keegan player in any way, shape or form - Keegan wont want grafters in attacking positions, when given money to spend he went for the Gillespie's, Ginola's and Apsrilla's in those positions - attacking players with pace or great skill. Keegan was a flair player himself, and I think he has a preferrence for what a good attacking player needs to have. Added to which, he'd have noted how much the performances improved last season when Milner, Duff and Smith were out of the side - that spell would have opened his eyes as to who needed to be shipped out because they werent contributing to what matters for their respective positions - assists and goals.

:clap:

Have had complete faith in him and still do. I also think he is making decisions which are for the good of the club and he is 100% working together with all the other staff and the board to make sure this happens.

Guest Phil K

Milner saying on Sky Sports he wasn't being paid enough.

How many thousands was he getting ?

How many goals did he score, or for that matter, MAKE ?

I'd say if he was being paid 2 grand he was overpaid.

Guest Howaythetoon

Although on the face of it Keegan having people in conflicting roles is a bad thing, in his case for all we know its probably a blessing in disguise.

Superb post in general tmonkey.

Regarding the comments I quoted above, if people cast their minds back to when he was first here he was Mr NUFC basically, he did everything from the PR to scouting to helping with developments regarding St. James' Park and the training ground. He had to be that man to drag us up from the depths to the top in the way he did. However it took its toll on him mentally and physically and I believe after the 95-96 season he was spent - knackered. Indeed he had to be convinced to stay on for another season or more after that, probably the lure of Shearer helping him to make his mind up.

People still believe losing the title done him in, that may be, but I'm convinced his complete and utter one man band of management of the entire club is what really done him in. It was ridiculous just how involved he was in so many things. I used to watch us train once or twice, how the hell he had the strength to sign so many autographs and talk to Tyne Tees all the time I don't know. He did so much, the whole club was short of staff and key areas for years which even effected Sir Bobby when he took over. Sir Bobby likened the set-up to a skeleton club, great fans, great stadium, some great players, nothing off the pitch to support it all though - no, it left when KK left.

Alex Ferguson was asked after winning the treble what had changed in his time at Man Utd and in football, and he said "I get more help now", that managers in the game get more help which is a good thing because he believed if things didn't change, managers would be dying on the touchline through heart attacks and so on. He was saying when he took over he did it all like KK did when he was first here, but as the years passed others come in to do the many jobs he once did, all helping him. He doesn't even do training these days, and nor does O'Neill or Wenger to name two others.

So I actually agree, this could be a blessing in disguise because KK's strengths lie in preparing his players for matches, developing them technically and mentally and looking at the strengths and weaknesses of the team in order to improve it. If he's here there and everywhere doing this and that it will effect his ability to run the team, as it eventually did leading up to his departure back in '97.

I'd love KK to be more hands on and more involved in other areas of the club because he's an astute business man, very creative, has a great eye for talent and I trust him 100% but that would be impossible in this day and age so as a club we have to make sure we surround him with people who have an eye for talent, are creative, astute in business and can be trusted 100%.

Do we have those people? How can any of us possibly know, the only way to tell is based on end results and that will take more than a few months to assess and make a judgment on.

As for KK, I wouldn't read too much into things posted on message boards. I've just gotten back from the bairn's football, 20 or so adults around all talking about the Toon. Its clear to me KK is still King Kev in the eyes of fans, where as at the match... you just have to listen to people when KK steps up from the dug out - "Keegan, Keegan"

Faith is strong there, although other aspects of the club seem uncertain at the moment with fans in general and with good reason in many ways, despite my faith in the set-up personally.

Because that fat prick Michael Moore has corrupted every daft fucker who read his books to take nothing for face value & always worry about the people in the background who really control things.

Good on Mr Moore tbh, if this wasn't the case we would be taking as gospel every word that Louise Taylor and Martin Samuel say. Nothing wrong with thinking a little bit about the message you are being told.

Because that fat prick Michael Moore has corrupted every daft fucker who read his books to take nothing for face value & always worry about the people in the background who really control things.

Good on Mr Moore tbh, if this wasn't the case we would be taking as gospel every word that Louise Taylor and Martin Samuel say. Nothing wrong with thinking a little bit about the message you are being told.

ERRRRRRRRRRRRRRR! They are not the news makers, they are news writers. Do you not believe KK? Or Mike Ashley?

The 9/11 conspiracy is a Goverment conspiracy.

The 9/11 conspiracy is a Goverment conspiracy.

Who told you that? The Hardy Boys?