New Laptop

LiquidAK

This is the Laptop I've decided to get:

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/product/250/FO/136908.jpg

Here.

*  Intel Pentium Dual Core Processor T2390 (1.86 GHz, 533MHz FSB, 1 MB Cache)

* Genuine Windows Vista ® Home Premium

* 2 GB Memory

* 120 GB Hard Drive

* 17" TrueLife Widescreen display

* NVIDIA GeForce 8600 graphic card

* 256MB dedicated graphics memory

* Wireless Enabled, Webcam

Price is £379.97

What really drew me to it was the dedicated graphics card.

Basically I just wanted to see if you think that this is a good deal? I think it is, but if you know of a better deal going I would really appreciate it. :) My price limit is £400, and this ticks all the boxes for me.

So yeah, good deal or not?

Well it's better than my desktop, which can play Black and White 2 easily enough, I know that isn't exactly high end but it's probably the most graphic intensive game I'll play on it.

(My desktop has a 6200 series Geforce, so I assume an 8600 would be better, or am I just being naive?)

Well it's better than my desktop, which can play Black and White 2 easily enough, I know that isn't exactly high end but it's probably the most graphic intensive game I'll play on it.

(My desktop has a 6200 series Geforce, so I assume an 8600 would be better, or am I just being naive?)

Fair enough, will be fine then.

I think I got unlucky with my laptop as I paid 800 quid about 18months ago for what was supposedly a high end laptop able to play the latest game etc, but just had no end of shite with it, kinda put me off. I've since bought a shit hot desktop :D

Fair enough, will be fine then.

Good to hear man, thanks for the help. I'm getting it on Monday after I get paid, unless I see a better deal before then. Can't wait tbh. :D

I think I got unlucky with my laptop as I paid 800 quid about 18months ago for what was supposedly a high end laptop able to play the latest game etc, but just had no end of shite with it, kinda put me off. I've since bought a shit hot desktop :D

Yeah there was a Toshiba I was looking at, but came bundled with about 6000 programs that I didn't need.

:'( It's sold out and I can't find it as cheap anywhere else, I think they've stopped making them as I can't even find the same one on sale in any other place.

Ah well, if anyone has any other deals I would really appreciate it, as apparently this one passed me by.

OK I've decided to go with an Acer Aspire.

1 question:

When you get a laptop with an OS pre-installed, do you also get the Installation CD with it?

Usually, I always have.

OK, thanks, I'll order it now then. :smug:

• 4 weeks later...
Guest icemanblue

I'm looking at buying a new laptop for between 400-450 squids. I've heard Intel Core 2 Duo is the way to go, so i'm only really considering laptops with one and at least 2GB RAM and 200GB+ hard disk.  I've found this bad boy that seems to suit my needs:

http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/Samsung_R60_Plus_Laptop_NP-R60FY0K-SUK/version.asp?refsource=ldprunner

I'd appreciate any advice or direction towards a better price for this kind of spec. Anyone?

Guest icemanblue
Guest icemanblue

Cheers mate, was just looking round for some more detailed info! Think I'm sold on that one like, the graphics card was definitely the sweetener. Now, to force myself to order it before I change my mind!

Thinking about selling my laptop as I don't really use it anymore. Would like to get £300 for it, any ideas as to whether that sounds reasonable for the following spec?

2 gb Intel Core 2 Duo Processor

2gb RAM

160GB HDD

256mb PCI Express Nvidia 7600 GO graphics

15.4 inch wide screen display

Brand: Novatech

Not sure if I want to sell it yet but with Christmas approaching the extra funds could prove useful!

Not looking for a laptop but may aswell ask in this thread.

Anyone know a good place online to buy refurbished PC bases? Had a look on the PCworld site but they are a bit pricey for what you are getting.

Cheers.

Not looking for a laptop but may aswell ask in this thread.

Anyone know a good place online to buy refurbished PC bases? Had a look on the PCworld site but they are a bit pricey for what you are getting.

Cheers.

www.dell.co.uk/outlet

Dell's bent bargains. Got my last 3 machines on there. All had minor flaws like a scratch or slightly uneven base (website doesn't tell you want the flaw is, but they all seem to be cosmetic or just overstock) and got about £300 off each one. I tend to buy higher-end machines as the main problem with the cheaper stuff is that the shipping is still the same, but fairly often they have 'free shipping' deals.

Good luck with it.

EDIT: They have a free shipping deal on right now - expires 2nd Oct though so would get my skates on if it appeals