If NUFC had gone bust

afar

In a probably vain effort to try to divert a little attention away from the "I can't take it anymore" drama of the transfer window, I thought I would propose this totally hypothetical question:

Mike Ashley has said that we were on the brink before he took over, what would you do, if NUFC went into extinction?

I know it's highly unlikely and even if it had happened, we would have been reborn, much in the way Boro was but in my hypothetical world we hadn't and Newcastle upon Tyne didn't have a football league club anymore.

We are all football fans, would you throw your lot behind the dirty makems or the smoggies or one the smaller localish teams like Carlisle, Hartlepool or Darlo ?  Or would you begin to support one of the local non league clubs like Gateshead, Newcastle Blue Star, Dunston Fed or Blyth Spartans ? Even follow Berwick Rangers in the Scottish league ? Or would you still need your PL fix and go on to follow a Manure, Liverpool, Aston Villa or Wigan ? Or would you just swear off football all together or at least English football and go cheer on Real Mallorca or someone else ?

Also what do you think would happen if this completely ridiculous situation happened. SJP is one of the biggest and best stadiums in the country, it's inconcievable that a city the size of Newcastle and history does not have a league club. Would another team move in, similar to the movement of teams in US sports or like what MK dons did ? Perhaps Berwick or Hearts or someone moved down and we witnessed scottish league football in Newcastle. Or Boro, Wigan or Blackpool or whoever moved in and rebranded themselves Newcastle City or something ? Or a non league team moved in. Would current Toon fans get behind any of these teams ?

Or would SJP just be bulldozed and a set of swanky shops or apartments be put up in it’s place.

As I said it's all completely bonkers but I think it would be fun to here how people think the future would be without NUFC.

A club like Newcastle would never go out of existance (it could easily go bust) too many people support it, but hypothetically, i'd have given up on football, i've nearly reached that point anyway, no NUFC would be the last straw.

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f22/emsmisfits/Die-ElmoSuicide.jpg

Just replace me with Elmo.

On a more serious note though, I reckon I'd stop following club football altogether. I follow a team, if that team ceases to exist, my passion for club football would cease with it. I'd rather do as Elmo than ever "change" teams if something goes bad with my team. Hell, if I did, I'd deserve the rope. The club going extinct or not.

If a club would be a direct continuation of an "extinct" NUFC, I would probably get behind it though. Meaning a situation similar to the AFC Wimbledon situation.

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f22/emsmisfits/Die-ElmoSuicide.jpg

Just replace me with Elmo.

On a more serious note though, I reckon I'd stop following club football altogether. I follow a team, if that team ceases to exist, my passion for club football would cease with it. I'd rather do as Elmo than ever "change" teams if something goes bad with my team. Hell, if I did, I'd deserve the rope. The club going extinct or not.

If a club would be a direct continuation of an "extinct" NUFC, I would probably get behind it though. Meaning a situation similar to the AFC Wimbledon situation.

I can echo that statement, if anyone picked up the NUFC banner as it were, even if it were branded NCFC or NFC or whatever and they began to play in black and white strips in Newcastle then it would be hard not to start to get behind them.

Probably still watch the PL, but with considerably less interest. I'd end up finding a team in another country.

It's hard though following a sport without rooting for a team. I love sport in general, football in particular. But whatever sport I watch I always like to root for someone or some team. The trouble is for me I'm shite at picking teams to follow, the Falcons in Rugby, Mariners in Baseball and the Dolphins in American Football are examples of my wank choices.

Probably still watch the PL, but with considerably less interest. I'd end up finding a team in another country.

It's hard though following a sport without rooting for a team. I love sport in general, football in particular. But whatever sport I watch I always like to root for someone or some team. The trouble is for me I'm shite at picking teams to follow, the Falcons in Rugby, Mariners in Baseball and the Dolphins in American Football are examples of my wank choices.

Yeah, but working in your hypothetical scenario, I'm already a committed Newcastle fan when the club ceases to exist. I'm not local and have never been to the country, but I'd still be unable to wash my hands and move on. I'd check in on the PL and lament our absence, but I'd never be able to follow another English team.

It's hard though following a sport without rooting for a team. I love sport in general, football in particular. But whatever sport I watch I always like to root for someone or some team. The trouble is for me I'm s**** at picking teams to follow, the Falcons in Rugby, Mariners in Baseball and the Dolphins in American Football are examples of my w*** choices.

Yeah, but working in your hypothetical scenario, I'm already a committed Newcastle fan when the club ceases to exist. I'm not local and have never been to the country, but I'd still be unable to wash my hands and move on. I'd check in on the PL and lament our absence, but I'd never be able to follow another English team.

Not even one branding itself Newcastle City or AFC Newcastle or Newcastle FC ? One that played at SJP and wore black and white stripes ?

You said there would be no replacement in the original post.

If there is a replacement for the club, I'm in.

Hehe it's not, it could be Carlisle United currently or Berwick Rangers, they've just moved like the Rams did in "Football", you should be familiar with this concept being a yankee doodle dandy and all that ? :)

It would be a difficult one for me because deep down who would you be supporting ?

Hehe it's not, it could be Carlisle United currently or Berwick Rangers, they've just moved like the Rams did in "Football", you should be familiar with this concept being a yankee doodle dandy and all that ? :)

It would be a difficult one for me because deep down who would you be supporting ?

I've fallen off Football so hard, I read that and wondered when Derby moved.

That's a question for a Ravens fan, or a Browns fan. They'll have a lot of insight there.

God, a Newcastle and Cleveland Browns fan. If that guy exists, he had crows feet at 12.

That's a question for a Ravens fan, or a Browns fan. They'll have a lot of insight there.

God, a Newcastle and Cleveland Browns fan. If that guy exists, he had crows feet at 12.

When Arizona come to town to play St Louis, who do the locals support, the rams or the cardinals ?

Outside of MK Dons we've not witnessed movement of franchises in football, but there again all major areas of the population are served with local teams, so there has been no need for it.

When Arizona come to town to play St Louis, who do the locals support, the rams or the cardinals ?

Outside of MK Dons we've not witnessed movement of franchises in football, but there again all major areas of the population are served with local teams, so there has been no need for it.

None of my teams have relocated in my lifetime, so I don't know what ex fans do. But generally they're met with hostility.

If what's happening in Seattle is any indication, most of the fans treat the team as if they no longer exist after a move.

None of my teams have relocated in my lifetime, so I don't know what ex fans do. But generally they're met with hostility.

If what's happening in Seattle is any indication, most of the fans treat the team as if they no longer exist after a move.

From what I've seen, moved franchises are treated with the most hostility of any team in the league when they return to their former homes for away games.

Not ideal but I'd follow my heart and support Arsenal.

I've always had a soft sport for them purely because my granda supported them all his life and I've always wanted them to do well just for him.

Failing that, Barcelona as I just like them and always have.

A new Newcastle club would be set up, so naturally I'd follow them but it still wouldnt be the same.

But Id probably end up taking up a more interested approach to Shamrock Rovers- my football team in Ireland.

I cant imagine no NUFC though. Not really worth thinking about either.

I'd want to support my local team. Just now, that would be South Shields. Though there'd be a temptation to go and see Whitley Bay's matches as I used to on occasion when I lived there for 10 years and I only moved ot South Shields 2 years ago, so I've no real affiliation for the team or anything yet.

So yeah, probably Whitley Bay. That's assuming no reborn NUFC, as they'd obviously be my first choice.