These people who fell off Blencathra yesterday...

Guest Open_C

i've been best part the way up there but the girl i was with at the time felt going all the way (fnarr fnarr) up was too risky. so i had my honour intact and never needed to admit i didn't like the look of it myself.

bloody stupidity taking a 6 year old all the way up when the majority of the way isn't bad at all.

I work in A and E and we have had a lot of people falling whilst climbing. Dangerous.

Most are un equipped, un skilled or unlucky. Not my idea of a fun weekend..

Aye. up until to the final bit it's hill walking but the sharp edge bit is climbing.

Ive walked that before and its dodgy as hell!

When you get to the tarn where the sharp edge begins, you can choose to take a easy path up to the top instead, its not like you HAVE to do Sharp Edge to get to the top.

They took a six year old up that?  Fck me, i'm 32 and wouldn't go up that c***.

howay man gimp, thats one of the places i was trying to talk you and your lass into going up with me.

ive been taking my kids up hills in the lakes, for a few years now,since they were younger than 6.

In fact i just got back about an hour ago, i never take them anywhere high or dangerous, if its too high, they just cry on with tired legs.

so its the little uns, Cat bells, Hallin fell, Lattrigg etc.

I know this means i cant challenge myself, or go over any sharp ridges,  but surely you have to put thier safety ahead of your own thrill seeking, ??

Very nice :)  I was up Windy Gyle, and I also got back to Longframlington as it was starting to rain (but because I live there, not because I was eating there).

edit..

I wasn't up Windy Gyle at all, I was up Bloodybush Edge :)

Did you see the goat?

goat ? what goat ?

we came home via " the lee" as we'd never been up that way before so if a goat was on the loose in the middle of longframlington we'd have missed it.

whats the shoulder of mutton like for food. it's seems very tarted up since i was last in about 12 years ago,

Guest lankybellwipe

Very nice :)  I was up Windy Gyle, and I also got back to Longframlington as it was starting to rain (but because I live there, not because I was eating there).

edit..

I wasn't up Windy Gyle at all, I was up Bloodybush Edge :)

Did you see the goat?

As the major link rd to the north, do you not get sick of the heavy traffic going through your village?  And Longhorsely?

And those speed traps get on my bastard tits! Numerous times I've been hoiking down the approach to the 30 zone, and not slowed enough, doing 35-40 through the village, and then braking again while spitting at the windscreen!

Been done once!

didn't see the goat and yes we went through the ford but it was only an inch or so. bit of a let down as when we saw then sign i told the girls what a ford was and they were expecting water up to the windows.

Guest lankybellwipe

didn't see the goat and yes we went through the ford but it was only an inch or so. bit of a let down as when we saw then sign i told the girls what a ford was and they were expecting water up to the windows.

I was expecting a Mondeo!

whats the gestation period for that then ?

Guest lankybellwipe

whats the gestation period for that then ?

That took weeks of careful planning  :blush:

While we're on the subject..

I'm hoping to get over to the lakes on Tuesday with the family.  We climbed Ben Nevis and Snowdon when I was (much) younger, but never managed Scafell Pike so we're going to do it this week, weather permitting.

We're all fit enough, but my mother won't cope with climbing or aretes of the nature of Striding Edge or Sharp Edge.  That being the case, what's the easiest and most stress-free way up it?  Never been up it myself, so I don't know what to expect.  I don't mind a boring tourist route as long as me mother won't end up stressing out at huge vertical drops :)

No exposure on Scafell Pike especially if you go up via Esk Hause but the top is a mile of bloody great stones - not a lot of fun IMHO