Evacuation of New Orleans ordered

Decky

Wonder how far we are away from major cities being hit by hurricanes, cities on the coast like London, New York etc. Really is frightening to think of the damage that will be caused to New Orleans in the next week or 2.

we're quite far like. i wouldn't barracade yourself in, put it that way.

:lol: Im not saying its any time close, im just saying with climate change etc, it might be closer than we think, i.e. in our lifetime.

Guest optimistic nit

i'd say you could be right there. not that i have any reason or qualification to say such a thing apart from a feeling mind :lol:

Not sure, but don't you need warm water to kick up a really big storm?

Could a hurricane travel from closer to the equator up to our islands? Im not sure like, but we arnt THAT far away tbh, and i suppose the whole impact of climate change is weird things like hurricanes in the UK.

This is all based on a vague recollection of something I probably read in a newspaper or saw on TV, so I could be totally wrong, but I think they lose strength over a large volume of cold water, which is why they usually end up fizzling out when they head out into the Atlantic. One of the potential effects of climate change is thought to be the cessation of the North Atlantic Conveyor, the current that takes warm water up the East coast of the US and over towards us, meaning that the water around the UK is likely to be significantly cooler than it currently is, which would make hurricanes less likely following climate change rather than more likely, I'd have thought. Like I say, I might be wrong though.

This is all based on a vague recollection of something I probably read in a newspaper or saw on TV, so I could be totally wrong, but I think they lose strength over a large volume of cold water, which is why they usually end up fizzling out when they head out into the Atlantic. One of the potential effects of climate change is thought to be the cessation of the North Atlantic Conveyor, the current that takes warm water up the East coast of the US and over towards us, meaning that the water around the UK is likely to be significantly cooler than it currently is, which would make hurricanes less likely following climate change rather than more likely, I'd have thought. Like I say, I might be wrong though.

As someone from Florida who has had to deal with hurricanes his entire life I can say that you sir are correct about hurricanes getting weaker over cooler water.  That being said, they have had a hurricane or two in New Jersey/New York before but generally by the time it reaches that far north they are severely weakened and cause little to no wind damage and only dump a shit-ton of rain. 

As far as the climate change part, I also think you are correct.

Re New Orleans: They are so fucked and I feel bad for them.  Realistically they will be lucky if they are only set back 3 years (to a post-Katrina situation), the damage is going to be far worse than it was those few years ago.  The only positive that you can even muster about this storm is that it's moving at quite a rapid pace for a hurricane so hopefully the storm is over quickly and they can start the "healing" process quickly.

Not sure, but don't you need warm water to kick up a really big storm?

Could a hurricane travel from closer to the equator up to our islands? Im not sure like, but we arnt THAT far away tbh, and i suppose the whole impact of climate change is weird things like hurricanes in the UK.

we get hurricane force winds (75 gusting over 100)every winter in places like Shetland and storm force (steady 50 mph gusting 75mph) every winter elsewhere in the UK - which is one of the reasons we build our houses from bricks and not clapboard

A true Hurricane is defined as a tropical storm and the way the winds work they can't reach us -even with serious global warming they will only move north to hit the Carolinas & New York

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/  is good

Guest Geordiesned

"You need to be concerned and you need to get your butts moving and out of New Orleans right now," Nagin said at City Hall. "This is the storm of the century."

Wonder how far we are away from major cities being hit by hurricanes, cities on the coast like London, New York etc. Really is frightening to think of the damage that will be caused to New Orleans in the next week or 2.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

London...hurricanes?! :lol:

Guest lankybellwipe

:lol: :lol: :lol:

London...hurricanes?! :lol:

Thats what Michael Fish thought  :blush:

Google Earth at it's best.

Using Street View to check out the damage that remains from the last disaster.

http://paulturnbull.co.uk/Images/NO.jpg

And monitoring progress of the new hurricane

http://paulturnbull.co.uk/Images/SAT.jpg