Michael Owen Offered 3 Year Extension - Club Statement.

Tooj

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_4073588,00.html

Newcastle United have offered Michael Owen a three-year extension to his current contract.

Owen's future at St James' Park had come into question as he is in the final season of his present deal.

Reports on Sunday had claimed that the Magpies were willing to sell the striker for as little as £2million before Monday's transfer deadline.

But Newcastle have responded to the speculation by putting a lucrative new deal in front of the former Liverpool star.

Reports suggest that Owen has been offered £120,000 a week in order to commit his long-term future to the Magpies.

There had been previous claims that Newcastle wanted the England international to take a pay cut to stay, but he is now in line for a bumper pay rise.

Owen has endured an injury-troubled time on Tyneside since joining the club in a £16million deal from Real Madrid three years ago.

He has been restricted to just 50 appearances for the Magpies, however he has netted 22 goals during that period.

The 28-year-old had missed the opening game of the new season through injury, but is looking to enjoy a sustained run in Kevin Keegan's team.

If that tells you anything, it's that you can't trust a fucking word of what's written in the press. This on the same day that one of the rags has claimed we're going to flog him for £2m. Who fucking knows what's going on, the only way to find out is to simply wait and see what happens, that's the best we can expect, we'll probably never know what's gone on behind the scenes. That's something I actually welcome, but it's hard to get used to.

Guest Geordiesned

As I've said in the other thread I find it very strange that the club is telling sky how much we're offering a player.

Guest fraser

As I've said in the other thread I find it very strange that the club is telling sky how much we're offering a player.

Me too.

So why does everybody believe this, and not the reports about selling him for 2 mill? Personally, I wouldn't offer him a pay rise, because we would be paying well over what he is worth nowadays.

Very good point, although its far more plausible that we would offer a deal like that over selling him for £2m.  Common sense like, but shouldn't be taken as gospel.

Will check out other sources, see if there are any qoutes on this direct from the club.

Perhaps in reaction to the story that were selling him for £2m and to finally end all the shit speculation?

Not that I'm 100% certain the offer is true, just hoping it is and that he signs at this stage.

Hopefully this is true and it can all be put to bed. Micheal Owen staying at the club would be a massively positive move.

BTW, is the reason they are using the word extention because that's how much he is earning already? If he wants more than he is currently on, then he can fuck off, so i expect him to accept it.

Michael Owen could be next out of the door at Newcastle as he looks set to reject a new contract at St James' Park that would mean him taking a £1m-a-year pay cut. (Sunday Mirror)

Owen, 29, would be available for as little as £2m as Newcastle hope to cash in now instead of losing him on a free transfer at the end of the season. (Mail on Sunday)

It's just hilarious.

Possibly leaked from the club. Would be a brilliant PR move as well. Leak the offer of a better contract, and whatever happens now, they'll come out looking good. Either Owen signs and they're seen as a regime that can keep our best players, or he goes and is seen as a traitorous cunt who we'll be better off without (arguable, anyway). Like KK said, we only want players who want to stay and are committed. So if Owen's not, especially if he's been offered a pay rise for doing fuck all in the past 3 seasons, we will be better off without him.

If it's worth £120,000 per week as SSN is saying then we've done everything we possibly can. Nobody can blame us now if he doesn't sign a new contract.

Completely agree. Surely none of our fans could expect us to offer him anything more?

Michael Owen could be next out of the door at Newcastle as he looks set to reject a new contract at St James' Park that would mean him taking a £1m-a-year pay cut. (Sunday Mirror)

Owen, 29, would be available for as little as £2m as Newcastle hope to cash in now instead of losing him on a free transfer at the end of the season. (Mail on Sunday)

It's just hilarious.

It is pure comedy!

Possibly leaked from the club. Would be a brilliant PR move as well. Leak the offer of a better contract, and whatever happens now, they'll come out looking good. Either Owen signs and they're seen as a regime that can keep our best players, or he goes and is seen as a traitorous cunt who we'll be better off without (arguable, anyway). Like KK said, we only want players who want to stay and are committed. So if Owen's not, especially if he's been offered a pay rise for doing fuck all in the past 3 seasons, we will be better off without him.

R.E The PR, especially after getting beat off Arsenal.