Michael Owen Offered 3 Year Extension - Club Statement.

Tooj

Slightly disappointed that we've offered him a pay-raise.

We've been off-loading some deadwood players all summer without really replacing them (at least not yet) then we sell Milner because we don't want to give him a better contract, only to save for Owen's new wages? Sends out the wrong signal imo

Keegan has said the contract talks were being held back until after mondays transfer deadline, if this new contract offer is true it maybe means someone has been in contact to sign him, either that or we have no signings lined up and this is being done to ease fans a little.

We've been off-loading some deadwood players all summer without really replacing them (at least not yet) then we sell Milner because we don't want to give him a better contract, only to save for Owen's new wages? Sends out the wrong signal imo

We need to keep him, we would not get a striker of his quality even if we had a month to find one, and to me Owen is not a deadwood player, id sooner give him a payrise and try and off load the likes of Duff and smith.

Guest johnson293

We need to keep him, we would not get a striker of his quality even if we had a month to find one, and to me Owen is not a deadwood player, id sooner give him a payrise and try and off load the likes of Duff and smith.

^ This

If it's worth £120,000 per week as SSN is saying then we've done everything we possibly can. Nobody can blame us now if he doesn't sign a new contract.

Completely agree. Surely none of our fans could expect us to offer him anything more?

I think many of us would expect us to offer him less or find a replacement. I am in that camp anyway, and wouldn´t be to pleased if we are losing out on and having to sell other players because we are not offering them the wages that they want, only to then go and offer one of our most injury prone players a much improved deal that would have him amongst the Premiership absolute top earners.

Would be stupid to offer him more - anything above that is too much of a gamble considering there's no assurance that his glass legs will still be attached to his body in three years time.  Better to splash out and try and keep him though than lose him for next to nowt and have to try and find a replacement,.

If it's worth £120,000 per week as SSN is saying then we've done everything we possibly can. Nobody can blame us now if he doesn't sign a new contract.

Completely agree. Surely none of our fans could expect us to offer him anything more?

I think many of us would expect us to offer him less or find a replacement. I am in that camp anyway, and wouldn´t be to pleased if we are losing out on and having to sell other players because we are not offering them the wages that they want, only to then go and offer one of our most injury prone players a much improved deal that would have him amongst the Premiership absolute top earners.

If i thought we could get someone of Owens class in id agree, but we can not attract players of his class at the moment, when he plays he usualy earns his money, Bolton last week we were getting no where and could have easy ended in a 0-0 or 0-1 owen came on and took the points for us.

Guest johnson293

I think many of us would expect us to offer him less or find a replacement. I am in that camp anyway, and wouldn´t be to pleased if we are losing out on and losing other players because we are not offering them the wages that they want, only to then go and offer one of our most injury prone players a much improved deal that would have him amongst the Premiership absolute top earners.

Injuries happen though - nobody could have predicted the serious injuries that Owen has suffered while here - his previous injuries were the hamstring niggles that people feared.

Injuries aside, he is still a top class striker, arguably still the best english striker around, and the best player on our books.

Also, when fit and available, Owen has proved he can/does produce the goods for the team.

“Newcastle United can confirm that captain Michael Owen has been offered an extended and improved three-year contract.

“The proposed terms of the new deal include an increased salary for Michael and demonstrate the club’s commitment to keeping him.

“And the club very much hope that this enhanced contract offer will keep him at St James’s Park.”

So you would offer him less and risk letting him go?

I understand your points, just want to see what you would do.

Good move :thup:

Pressure's definitely on Owen now.

In all seriousness, i don't think he will get a better salary anwhere else.

i agree, at the moment he is worth a huge wage to us but cant see other clubs that he would realisticly join being able to justify it

Before I make my point I'm not saying Milner is better than Owen but (going off reported figures) Owen is getting a £20,000 increase, why couldn't Milner get an increase?

because he is a very average player, give him a 20k rise and you will have the likes of N'Zogbia etc wanting the same, i dont think theres a player in our squad who can expect to earn the same as owen.

Before I make my point I'm not saying Milner is better than Owen but (going off reported figures) Owen is getting a £20,000 increase, why couldn't Milner get an increase?

Because he is not good enough/he didn't deserve it/we weren't offered twice his value.

My point is that the two situations are entirely different.

Blatently being done now so that when we sign no players/a couple of shit ones KK and co can say "we've made the most important signing of the season".

It sounds like a cop-out, but it is a tremendous financial commitment. It's more than Villa will fork out for Milner.

I wonder if Ashley gave Keegan a choice - Keep one, lose the other.

Is it a coincidence that the deal has been offered after Milner has departed?

So you would offer him less and risk letting him go?

I understand your points, just want to see what you would do.

I definately would. Actually, I would sell him now for a decent fee if there were any takers and we could get an up and coming replacement. I rate Owen as being well past his best. He is now a striker that will convert a good percentages of chances, but not one who will create chances out of nowhere, which I think is what we need more than anything. It´s not like Owen is still in a class of his own. 10 million will go a long way towards a replacement who will contribute at least the same to the team as Owen does, isn´t as inury prone (i.e. you can build a team around) and does not demand excessive wages. I´m thinking the likes of Defoe, Santa Cruz, Berbatov (before his transfer to Spurs), Alves, etc here, who I all rate as on par with Michael Owen at this moment in time (Owen was better in his prime, but those days are long gone). I reckon we could get somebody in that ilk and be better of on and off the pitch.