Michael Owen Offered 3 Year Extension - Club Statement.

Tooj

Blatently being done now so that when we sign no players/a couple of shit ones KK and co can say "we've made the most important signing of the season".

It sounds like a cop-out, but it is a tremendous financial commitment. It's more than Villa will fork out for Milner.

I wonder if Ashley gave Keegan a choice - Keep one, lose the other.

Is it a coincidence that the deal has been offered after Milner has departed?

Conjecture though isn't it.

Pure guesswork, probably untrue.

Blatently being done now so that when we sign no players/a couple of shit ones KK and co can say "we've made the most important signing of the season".

It sounds like a cop-out, but it is a tremendous financial commitment. It's more than Villa will fork out for Milner.

Wasn't presenting it as fact.

If it's worth £120,000 per week as SSN is saying then we've done everything we possibly can. Nobody can blame us now if he doesn't sign a new contract.

Completely agree. Surely none of our fans could expect us to offer him anything more?

I think many of us would expect us to offer him less or find a replacement. I am in that camp anyway, and wouldn´t be to pleased if we are losing out on and having to sell other players because we are not offering them the wages that they want, only to then go and offer one of our most injury prone players a much improved deal that would have him amongst the Premiership absolute top earners.

So you would offer him less and risk letting him go?

I understand your points, just want to see what you would do.

I definately would. Actually, I would sell him now for a decent fee if there were any takers and we could get an up and coming replacement. I rate Owen as being well past his best. He is now a striker that will convert a good percentages of chances, but not one who will create chances out of nowhere, which I think is what we need more than anything. It´s not like Owen is still in a class of his own. 10 million will go a long way towards a replacement who will contribute at least the same to the team as Owen does, isn´t as inury prone (i.e. you can build a team around) and does not demand excessive wages. I´m thinking the likes of Defoe, Santa Cruz, Berbatov (before his transfer to Spurs), Alves, etc here, who I all rate as on par with Michael Owen at this moment in time (Owen was better in his prime, but those days are long gone). I reckon we could get somebody in that ilk and be better of on and off the pitch.

Apart from the players you have mentioned, who do you think we could get who could do better than Michael Owen?

I know mate but often these theories can catch on with other people and they presume it's a fact.

I know mate but often these theories can catch on with other people and they presume it's a fact.

Keegan, Ashley et al believe it's worth spending £19million on Owen than £15million keeping Milner.

That we do know.

Guest justin99.

I just want to travel round to all the news offices, point my finger at them, and laugh ha ha ha ha

He hasn't signed it yet though.

well about the owen paycut rubbish

If it's worth £120,000 per week as SSN is saying then we've done everything we possibly can. Nobody can blame us now if he doesn't sign a new contract.

Completely agree. Surely none of our fans could expect us to offer him anything more?

I think many of us would expect us to offer him less or find a replacement. I am in that camp anyway, and wouldn´t be to pleased if we are losing out on and having to sell other players because we are not offering them the wages that they want, only to then go and offer one of our most injury prone players a much improved deal that would have him amongst the Premiership absolute top earners.

So you would offer him less and risk letting him go?

I understand your points, just want to see what you would do.

I definately would. Actually, I would sell him now for a decent fee if there were any takers and we could get an up and coming replacement. I rate Owen as being well past his best. He is now a striker that will convert a good percentages of chances, but not one who will create chances out of nowhere, which I think is what we need more than anything. It´s not like Owen is still in a class of his own. 10 million will go a long way towards a replacement who will contribute at least the same to the team as Owen does, isn´t as inury prone (i.e. you can build a team around) and does not demand excessive wages. I´m thinking the likes of Defoe, Santa Cruz, Berbatov (before his transfer to Spurs), Alves, etc here, who I all rate as on par with Michael Owen at this moment in time (Owen was better in his prime, but those days are long gone). I reckon we could get somebody in that ilk and be better of on and off the pitch.

Apart from the players you have mentioned, who do you think we could get who could do better than Michael Owen?

I´ve already mentioned four. Do you want me to mention another dozen or so, which I easily could, until you find one that you don´t rate so you can give me some stick? It's not about the names, it's about the fact Owen is not worthy of one of the highest wages in the Premiership, not in his current form anyway. There are at least ten better forwards/strikers in the Premiership at this time.

This thread needs some fkn Skirge inspired fkn optimism.

Players out (estimated wages):

Ramage, £10,000 p/w

Carr, £45,000 p/w

Troisi, £3,000 p/w

Rozehnal, £25,000 p/w

Emre, £35,000 p/w

Milner, £20,000 p/w

Faye, £25,000 p/w

Various youngsters we released (in total): £2,000 p/w

Total: £165,000 p/w if my GCSE maths is still intact.

Players in (estimated wages):

Gutierrez, £30,000 p/w

Guthrie, £20,000 p/w

Bassong, £10,000 p/w

Coloccini, £40,000 p/w

Total: £100,000 p/w if that maths knowledge has lasted a further few minutes

So even with my dodgy guesses, we've saved about £65,000 a week on wages. Paying Owen a further £15,000 a week would still leave us £50,000 a week better off, and like I said even if I'm £5,000 here and there out, we must have still saved over £15,000 a week for us to offer it to Owen. Hopefully theres still some space left for a few new bodies.

I would like to see Owen sign, and in a fit of generosity, setup a direct debit to donate the extra cash into an academy that helps to develop young local players.

More chance of him riding into training on Shergar.

Guest Geordiesned

“Newcastle United can confirm that captain Michael Owen has been offered an extended and improved three-year contract.

“The proposed terms of the new deal include an increased salary for Michael and demonstrate the club’s commitment to keeping him.

“And the club very much hope that this enhanced contract offer will keep him at St James’s Park.”

:celb:

Guest Geordiesned

Mind if this is true I'd love to see the look on Burley's face the f***ing cuntflap!

me too. as well as andy dunn's from the notw.

twats.

what did Burley say?

He said that Owen should let his contract run out and leave for nothing as Newcastle are a club going nowhere.

How's the head today Nobby? Any bits you can't remember about last night? :lol:

Who's the bloke next to him?

It's the same bloke who was standing near SBR on that famous morning he was sacked, when leaving the training ground but i don't know what he does at the club. Kitman?

Guest johnson293

How much would you class as a decent fee for Owen? And how many teams are going to offer big money for him, knowing the wages he is (reportedly) on and the fact that they can wait till next summer and get him for nowt?

Admittedly, the club should have tried to tie him down before it got to this stage, but I think if he doesn't sign this new deal, then we'll keep him for the season and he'll go for nothing next summer.

Couldn't see us letting him go for a 'nominal' fee at this stage - we may as well get use out of him for the season.

How much would you class as a decent fee for Owen? And how many teams are going to offer big money for him, knowing they can wait till next summer and get him for nowt?

Admittedly, the club should have tried to tie him down before it got to this stage, but I think if he doesn't sign this new deal, then we'll keep him for the season and he'll go for nothing next summer.

Couldn't see us letting him go for a 'nominal' fee at this stage - we may as well get use out of him for the season.

Anything over 6/7 million I would seriously consider..

KK said only yesteray that contract negos were on the back bunner until the transfer window close, complete bullshit or old news if you ask me.

I agree its odd that KK said neogtions were on back burner, but the articles are saying the club have confirmed we have offered him a new deal.

KK said only yesteray that contract negos were on the back bunner until the transfer window close, complete bullshit or old news if you ask me.

I agree its odd that KK said neogtions were on back burner, but the articles are saying the club have confirmed we have offered him a new deal.

quite possible another club has come in for him and we have been forced into it early