Anyone watch Panorama tonight?

Decky

Raised the question of What is Britishness and should it be celebrated? Where do you stand on this then? Also thought it gave a pretty 1 sided few of Northern Ireland, saying it was the best play to go to to see Britishness being truly celebrated, completely ignoring the other side of the coin (the Irish side), even when some mong said he wasnt British, he was just Anti-Irish.

Well im Irish and Paddys Day is fucking brilliant, so all countries should celebrate their nationality. However not Britishness, more like a day for Scotland, a day for Wales and a day for England, all seperate.

The fact is that these days Britain's power and influence on the world stage is waning by the second and anything that encourages the four nations (five if you want to include the ROI) to work together whilst still retaining our own identities should be encouraged.

The world is just too big and bad for each of us to go it alone.

United we stand, divided we fall and all that........

If you want to celebrate Britishness, then you don't actually know what it is.

Dont fuck with my mind.

Its too late.

This whole thing about stage managed faux displays of forced nationalism is so un-British though, since when have we done that? I think people have mistaken us for the Americans:

Pledge allegiance to the flag - fuck off!!

Life in the UK test - don't be fucking stupid!!

Teaching Britishness in schools - You're taking the piss now, aren't you!?!

I mean, what is Britishness anyway?

The only true answer is "I don't know", or a laundry list of largely unrelated items that'd go on forever, you can't distil it down into easy to manage chunks, that's the best thing about it, to even try is to destroy a large part of it.

Raised the question of What is Britishness and should it be celebrated? Where do you stand on this then? Also thought it gave a pretty 1 sided few of Northern Ireland, saying it was the best play to go to to see Britishness being truly celebrated, completely ignoring the other side of the coin (the Irish side), even when some mong said he wasnt British, he was just Anti-Irish.

My girlfriend is from donaghadee on the east coast about 20miles or so from belfast. I went over there for the first time last month and I couldn't believe the amount of british flags around, there were whole streets literally covered in union jacks. Also if I ask my lass what nationality she is, she will always say british instead of irish. Im guessing this is the side they showed on the program and is only really the protestant side if im right?

Yep. Go to the other side and its tri-colours everywhere.