the transfer window.....for or against ?

madras

me ...i'm for it. i like the idea that clubs should make do and can't just go out and buy when trouble arises. however i'd go further, most of the major euro leagues start in august so end the window on july 31st so the squads are in place for the start of the season rather than this fluid effect weeks into the season.

i'd also have a limit on the ammount of players registered to play in the prem. say each club can only register 22 players to play that season.

not perfect but any thoughts ?.

Against.

Football more than ever is a business. Businesses are always (and should be always) free to sell their assets whenever they like. As far as i'm concerned the window's a restraint of trade. Just as the EU sorted Bosman out allowing him to move to another country at the end of his contract for employment, wouldn't surprise me if in a few years they made a ruling on this window system we have now.

I can't remember what it was like without the transfer window tbh but I like the idea of a transfer window but not the registration thing, its possible that you could have injuries, suspensions, international call ups etc and be completely fucked

Against it.

The madness that will ensue tomorrow is my reason.

Thats why I'm for it, deadline day is the best, personally I enjoyed waiting for Faye and Beye last year. It creates drama and if a club can't get the business done in 2 months then when can it!

Totally against. It was supposed to protect the smaller clubs, but to me, it has the opposite effect. Teams like Man Utd and Chelsea have squads that are more than able to cope with injuries.

If we got a few injuries to key players, we'd be knacked. What's fair about that? Before the window was introduced, we'd be able to get in reasonable replacements if necessary.

It is exciting like, but I'd rather it was scrapped

I prefer it tbh. It's a pain in the a*se without a doubt, but could you imagine what it would be like with say, Owen, if we had to go until March or April whenever the old transfer deadline was, with all the constant speculation when someone like Man Utd in November if they had a few injuries or whatever could just come in and sign him...at least this way when it gets to September you know you've got that squad settled for at least half a season.

Against it. Not many people in football seem to like the concept of it as it can harm their position as manager having to make-do with injuries or last minute panic buys. I say just put it back to how it was and let transfers happen whenever as there would be much less panic buying and over-priced transfers.

A possible down-side to this may be that youngsters aren't given much of a chance to break through to the first team but at the same time, you could say that it's their job to put the effort in and catch the eye of the manager.

I'm for it 100%. I like the idea that once the deadline is past we know we can work with these players without them being sold or bought disrupting all our plans. Players remain more focused this way at least till the next window.

Guest hikickry

Im for it. Yes, i know the chaos tomorrow isnt perfect, but looking from the other perspective, the fact that anyone could come in for any of your players at any point in the season is not what i'd want. Say if a player was unhappy for a certain reason, or there was some misunderstanding, you at least know with the transfer window that you would have time to sort it out,  instead of them leaving in a rash decision.

I'm for it 100%. I like the idea that once the deadline is past we know we can work with these players without them being sold or bought disrupting all our plans. Players remain more focused this way at least till the next window.

Yep. Pretty much what I was trying to explain but more to the point.

Against. Just think, if we don't sell Alan Smith tomorrow we'll be stuck with him until January at the earliest. I also don't like the way that if all your e.g. strikers are injured it's tough s*** even if you could afford to buy a replacement.

It helps us too though...imagine how inviting it would be for one of the top 4 to sign Owen, Martins & Viduka mid-season in an emergency to help in their league and European campaigns?