Are you happy with our squad and the way our club is moving?

Kev
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Are you happy with our current squad and the way the club is moving?

Imo, we have a good top 10 squad, cover in nearly every position, which is only a good thing for a premiership club.

I am excited again, yes we have only signed 2 players today (1 on loan) who nobody has heard of, but its great times and i cant wait to see how they play. (nobody had heard of gutierrez, so dont judge these 2 just yet)

If you take a look at our squad, then show the cover 11, i am chuft tbh.

Given

Beye Taylor Coloccini Enrique

Gutierrez Guthrie Barton N'Zogbia

Owen Martins

Harper

Edgar Bassong Cacapa ?

Gonzalez Geremi Butt Duff

Xisco Viduka

Forster , Tozer , Lualua , Smith , Ameobi , Carroll could easily be called upon if we got that desperate (i highly doubt it). Those 2 teams show our club now has good depth and is on the way up.

Did people seriously expect the likes of Deco, Diego, Saviola? Get real. We are a club that was heading down, getting worse every summer spending s*** loads on crap. Now i think we have the 2 men to get the club going forwards (Ashley and Keegan). Ashley has got rid of the debt, changed a few things throughout the club, few new staff etc who will improve the club, he has given Keegan money on who i think Keegan wanted to sign. Nobody has come in for shitloads of money, we have spent well and i have faith in both ashley and keegan.

People have been saying they wish Ashley would sell up to more foreigners (maybe not on here, but other places) and i 100% disagree, we want a man who loves the game in charge, hes sorting this club out in the right way imo.

SO ARE YOU PLEASED WITH OUR SQUAD, AND THE WAY THIS CLUB IS MOVING?

We have the wealthiest owner this club has ever had. His investment is greater than any single man in the history of the club. However, despite all that, he is small fry compared to the backers other sides have.

Its better than being out of business, which is not beyond the realms of possibilty given the way our debts had spiralled out of control.

I just think we need to be realistic and accept that rebuilding will take a while unless we are fortunate enough to have a multi-billionaire or 2 join Ashley. On his own he is in for a hard time given the expectation here.

Football changed the day Abramovitch arrived. Its getting steadily worse in terms of finance too. Given that we were doing well until Freddie decided to implode in 2004/5 season, it is easy to say that 'we should be up there'. That takes little account of the contextual change in the league that coincided with Bobbys sacking and Souness' fuck ups.

In short, we'll be fine in mid table. Any better and we will have done well.

The squad isnt great but it isnt the worst I have seen us have in the premier league.

Pleased with both generally, the first team looks quite strong in my opinion and i have faith in Kevin Keegan, and i have faith in the recruitment team because they have unearthed what look to be some quality players thus far. I also believe Ashley has got his head screwed on the right way, even if he has a cautious approach to finances. We ain't splashed megabucks yet but hey, better than us going out of business, eh?

The squad is thin, though.

We have the wealthiest owner this club has ever had. His investment is greater than any single man in the history of the club. However, despite all that, he is small fry compared to the backers other sides have.

Its better than being out of business, which is not beyond the realms of possibilty given the way our debts had spiralled out of control.

I just think we need to be realistic and accept that rebuilding will take a while unless we are fortunate enough to have a multi-billionaire or 2 join Ashley. On his own he is in for a hard time given the expectation here.

Football changed the day Abramovitch arrived. Its getting steadily worse in terms of finance too. Given that we were doing well until Freddie decided to implode in 2004/5 season, it is easy to say that 'we should be up there'. That takes little account of the contextual change in the league that coincided with Bobbys sacking and Souness' fuck ups.

In short, we'll be fine in mid table. Any better and we will have done well.

The squad isnt great but it isnt the worst I have seen us have in the premier league.

Good post.

Feels like we're treading water.  We're not alone in that, but some of our peers are moving forward.

This is how I feel. We've made some good signings this summer, but with our injury record this statement in the OP:

"Forster , Tozer , Lualua , Smith , Ameobi , Carroll could easily be called upon if we got that desperate (i highly doubt it)"

is laughable. Of course they are going to end up playing! I may have had a few beers, but I could have sworn I saw one S. Ameobi running about at Emirates the other day in a black and white shirt. Shola, Smith, Duff... although I appreciate the signings, I'm a bit down that we're still going to have to start with these players. I feel like by the time we replace them with good players, Owen, Beye, Dooks, Given will have retired anyway and we'll be back at square one.

We were dangerously close to relegation last year. At the beginning of the year we had a terrible chairman, our finances were in shambles, and we had Fat Sam taking over for Roeder and signing Alan Smith, Mark Viduka, and Joey Barton. This year we have Kevin Keegan, a stable financial situation, and we've signed promising young players.

Are we going to challenge for a top spot this year? Probably not.

But Rome wasn't built in a day. I think we've made some good moves that are going to secure our future. Let's see how we do this season and not starting a panic.

Feels like we're treading water.  We're not alone in that, but some of our peers are moving forward.

This is how I feel. We've made some good signings this summer, but with our injury record this statement in the OP:

"Forster , Tozer , Lualua , Smith , Ameobi , Carroll could easily be called upon if we got that desperate (i highly doubt it)"

is laughable. Of course they are going to end up playing! I may have had a few beers, but I could have sworn I saw one S. Ameobi running about at Emirates the other day in a black and white shirt. Shola, Smith, Duff... although I appreciate the signings, I'm a bit down that we're still going to have to start with these players. I feel like by the time we replace them with good players, Owen, Beye, Dooks, Given will have retired anyway and we'll be back at square one.

Im sure martins viduka xisco owen will stop shola from playing. unless 2 or 3 of those get injured.

I like the way we are going about things, I just expected more signings today, not saying we needed to break any records, I just think we could have easily recruited cover for RB, LB and RW in this window.

The starting X11 is much improved but the squad is smaller than last season!

Guest smarty2006

Think back to the day Allerdyce got the sack!  would you of thought we could attract Argentinian national players in our squad by the summer? I think we have come along way since then, much better than expected. We are moving in the right direction (and without getting in to much debt!).  :thup:

We're moving forward for sure.  Sometimes it may not look like it but if you look at the overall picture we've moved ahead from where we were when Big Sam was a manager here.  We may not be Man City, but then again, who would want to be?

Let's not forget that Aston Villa finished high up the table last year, and they also had a small squad and a lack of 'WOW' signings. So far, our new signings have been good, and we can potentially go far as long as injuries don't continue to be such a huge problem.

I selected "Hm, not sure".  Primarily this is because I do think we're in a stronger position today than we were 18 months ago, both as a club and as a squad, but not by much.

Whilst we are significantly better off in terms of the clubs debt level and the business of the club, I don't see anywhere near as much squad improvement as I expected.  This expectation is based upon what Ashley and Keegan have told us would occur.  Right from when they first joined the club both have said how much investment was going to be made, how we'd all be going "wow" at the signings and how money was going to be invested for top-class players.  However, none of this has happened.

Yes, my expectations may be higher than they should be, but only because Ashley and Keegan said they should be.

Very poor, the club has failed to get the signings needed.  The sale of Milner is quite laughable in the light of yesterdays events.  We have a woefully thin squad that is littered with injury prone players.

We used to be an ambitious club, now I would put us in the 3rd tier of a 4 tier league in terms of ambition and probably league placings this year.

Very poor, the club has failed to get the signings needed.  The sale of Milner is quite laughable in the light of yesterdays events.  We have a woefully thin squad that is littered with injury prone players.

We used to be an ambitious club, now I would put us in the 3rd tier of a 4 tier league in terms of ambition and probably league placings this year.

no.... not happy at the slightest... clearly lack of ambition... this is football club not a fucking circus... you need to show how u want to win things... not just delivering repeated performance week in and week out. Selling milner was abysmal.... act... milner is average but at least he still showing what he can do not like amoebi & smith... this will be another total fucked up season again :(

Guest guinness_fiend

I voted "pleased with how we are moving."

Given that only Manchester United and Manchester City made 'big money' signings yesterday, I refuse to get too down about the fact that we have picked up a few players over the summer.  Manchester City's purchase of Robinho just goes to prove that money talks nowadays and I am glad that we are not spending ridiculous sums on players that are motivated for the wrong reasons.  Everybody that I know who supports other clubs iareequally frustrated with their own lack of signings.  It seems that this is the summer of discontent across the board.

We have been prudent over the summer and I cannot believe that people are here are challenging Keegan and Ashley.  Nobody knows for certain that neither made an effort or do not care about the squad - it is all paper speculation and paranoia.  Given that we cannot offer European football, have not had a decent cup run for god knows how long, are currently a 'mid-table' club (despite what anyone on here might say) and that Newcastle as a city does not have the same attraction as Manchester and London, I am more than happy with baby steps in the right direction. 

I look forward to the club bringing in a few more players during the January transfer window.  Plus, you never know, we may pick up a few out-of-contract players that can do a job in the short term in the meantime.

I honestly believe that we are heading in the right direction and that, slowly but surely, we will edge our way up the table and by the end of next season we will be in the best position that we have been in for ages.

Have faith lads!