Are you happy with our squad and the way our club is moving?

Kev
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Just posted this in Toontastic. Sums up how I feel about the squad

I was thinking about the squad on my way into work today.

Goal Keepers

Given

Harper

Forster

Sodeberg

Krul (I aint heard anything about his move materialising)

I think we are well stocked in this department, expecting to hear about Harpers contract by the end of the month. Hopefully he will sign for another couple of years as I don't think the young keepers are ready to be number 2 yet

Defenders

Enrique

Beye

Taylor

Colo

Cacapa

Edgar

Bassong

I would have liked to see cover brought in for the full-backs, but the first choice back four (Colo,Enrique,Beye,Taylor) looks decent enough. Hopefully either Bassong will step up to challenge Taylor or we have someone in mind for January. Haven't seen or heard enough about the likes of Tozer to comment on the strength of our young underbelly.

Midfielders

Butt

Guthrie

Spiderman

Nacho

Duff

Zoggy

Barton (Assuming he didn't make a last minute move which we haven't heard about)

Probably our weakest area, although Spidey and Zoggy have potential to be a more than decent wing pairing. We desperately need to strengthen central midfield in Jan, as I doubt Guthrie is ready to take over from Butt full time. A fit and focussed Barton will make a huge difference, as would Duff finding some form (Flying pig time). Again I don't know enough about the young reserves. If Nacho fits in well then our attacking trio here would be pretty good imo.

Strikers

Owen

Martins

Viduka

Xisco

Smith

Ameobi

Carroll

Owen Martins Viduka is a great strike force on paper (and on the pitch based on our run in last season). Shame about Vidukas fitness. Hopefully Owen can continue in the same fitness vein as last season. Xisco is highly rated and has the tools to be a success in the Premier League. Martins is the key, his pace gives the team an extra dimension, hopefully his all round game can improve. So first 4 look good (fitness permitting).

We have to assume Shola is shot in terms of being a viable option after Arsenal. Smith needs a run in the reserves where he can hopefully score a few goals. There was a decent player in there at one point. Carroll needs to go back on loan somewhere.

5/6 down to 12th will be tight this year, this squad is as good as any in that pack. With a decent run with injuries I reckon we will have a good season, we need re-inforcements in key areas, hopefully the three headed beast ain't sitting back and we are identifying January targets from today.

There will be ups and downs, we can't expect to be beating the top 4 away from home and no doubt we will drop points to teams we should be beating. But I'm excited for the season, the best set of players since Bobby's reign.

Just posted this in Toontastic. Sums up how I feel about the squad

I was thinking about the squad on my way into work today.

Goal Keepers

Given

Harper

Forster

Sodeberg

Krul (I aint heard anything about his move materialising)

I think we are well stocked in this department, expecting to hear about Harpers contract by the end of the month. Hopefully he will sign for another couple of years as I don't think the young keepers are ready to be number 2 yet

Defenders

Enrique

Beye

Taylor

Colo

Cacapa

Edgar

Bassong

I would have liked to see cover brought in for the full-backs, but the first choice back four (Colo,Enrique,Beye,Taylor) looks decent enough. Hopefully either Bassong will step up to challenge Taylor or we have someone in mind for January. Haven't seen or heard enough about the likes of Tozer to comment on the strength of our young underbelly.

Midfielders

Butt

Guthrie

Spiderman

Nacho

Duff

Zoggy

Barton (Assuming he didn't make a last minute move which we haven't heard about)

Probably our weakest area, although Spidey and Zoggy have potential to be a more than decent wing pairing. We desperately need to strengthen central midfield in Jan, as I doubt Guthrie is ready to take over from Butt full time. A fit and focussed Barton will make a huge difference, as would Duff finding some form (Flying pig time). Again I don't know enough about the young reserves. If Nacho fits in well then our attacking trio here would be pretty good imo.

Strikers

Owen

Martins

Viduka

Xisco

Smith

Ameobi

Carroll

Owen Martins Viduka is a great strike force on paper (and on the pitch based on our run in last season). Shame about Vidukas fitness. Hopefully Owen can continue in the same fitness vein as last season. Xisco is highly rated and has the tools to be a success in the Premier League. Martins is the key, his pace gives the team an extra dimension, hopefully his all round game can improve. So first 4 look good (fitness permitting).

We have to assume Shola is shot in terms of being a viable option after Arsenal. Smith needs a run in the reserves where he can hopefully score a few goals. There was a decent player in there at one point. Carroll needs to go back on loan somewhere.

5/6 down to 12th will be tight this year, this squad is as good as any in that pack. With a decent run with injuries I reckon we will have a good season, we need re-inforcements in key areas, hopefully the three headed beast ain't sitting back and we are identifying January targets from today.

There will be ups and downs, we can't expect to be beating the top 4 away from home and no doubt we will drop points to teams we should be beating. But I'm excited for the season, the best set of players since Bobby's reign.

i'm a little disappointed to be honest.

i thought we would have got a few more bodies in this summer.

i can't help but think keegan is being undermined, ala sir bobby re: woodgate / shepherd.

that said, i do have 100% faith in kk, he is the best man for the job

Yes and no. I am very happy with the quality of the players brought in considering the amount of money actually being spent. Wise, Vetere and Jiminez deserve kudos rather than the bile they've had chucked at them from a lot of quarters. On the flip side, after two transfer windows with Keegan in charge, I really did think we would have a bigger squad of quality professionals to pick from. It's become pretty obvious now tha we will buy big, but we are looking to move on a lot of wasters at the club to make room, e.g., Barton, Smith, Duff, Ameobi etc. Fair enough, but it will probably be another season before we see a strong enough squad to really cause any of the better teams to be concerned. I still think we'll do ok this season though, once our injuries have cleared up.

6 players in, some shite out. Not as many as we wanted but we are stronger than last season and kk got us playing some good stuff last year.

This is our squad now, this is what we have to work with and support. We'll add to the squad in future windows and kk will get rid of anyone who isnt good enough and who he doesnt think is up to the job.

The shitty window is gone, lets crack on with the season and have a hell of a ride! Im looking forward to it! Howay the lads!  :indi:

Yes and no. I am very happy with the quality of the players brought in considering the amount of money actually being spent. Wise, Vetere and Jiminez deserve kudos rather than the bile they've had chucked at them from a lot of quarters. On the flip side, after two transfer windows with Keegan in charge, I really did think we would have a bigger squad of quality professionals to pick from. It's become pretty obvious now tha we will buy big, but we are looking to move on a lot of wasters at the club to make room, e.g., Barton, Smith, Duff, Ameobi etc. Fair enough, but it will probably be another season before we see a strong enough squad to really cause any of the better teams to be concerned. I still think we'll do ok this season though, once our injuries have cleared up.

I'm pleased with our we're moving, the signings have been sensible and in the right areas, if not megastars.

The squad is still a little short, but it's not realistic to thing we would have completely rectified that in one window. Just as importantly we have got rid of a lot of shit players. Shame Ameobi and Smith are still around, looks like it will be hard to shift them before their contracts expire.

Overall though I'm more confident than ever before about the people in charge, and the signings that they will bring in. We're moving, we just need to be patient.

I think we've moved forward and we're going to have a much better season than last. I'm happy with that. Wise and his team have done well.

I don't know why some people are upset about Milner. £10 million plus is a very good price for a player of his standard, and we do have alternatives for his position.

the bottom line is, we have no replacement for Faye and the 12m for Milner has dissapeared into thin air

clueless, clueless wankers.

Mate, it's been a while since I heard such bollocks. No replacement for Faye? He was hardly John Terry, we've brought in Coloccini and Bassong who both look good signings.

And what are you on about with the £12m for Milner? Just because we didn't go out and buy a player for £12m it's disappeared? It all goes into the same pot, I'm sure money is available for the right players.

Don't know why everyone is getting their knickers in a twist, this transfer deadline day drives sane people bonkers.

The same people moaning now were the same people moaning about the boring, long ball brand of Allardyce football. Now, a bunch of sigings have been made, primarily hispanic/south american, who will probably ensure that this is not the case, and they're still moaning! I just don't believe that players are signed/sold over Keegan's head - he may object to certain things, but he'll always be consulted/have a say. As much as I love Keegan, it's not the case at our club that he has total sway over everything and I think it's probably a good enough idea. Let's look at the window:

The only major players we lost were: Rozehnal, Emre, Faye and Milner. Rozehnal wasn't up to much/had a poor attitude, although I still think he could have been good but it's not a massive miss. Emre was a favourite of mine but even I'll admit he just didn't turn up enough and was constantly injured. Milner is distinctly average and, while a good squad player, he saw himself as more and you don't turn down £12m for somebody like him, that's just stupid. Everyone bangs on about how he's good enough for England - fact: if he was good enough, he would have been named in the squad. Players like Walcott, Wheater and now Bullard have been named, clearly everyone gets a chance. In my opinion the big loss is Faye, I'm disappointed that he's gone as I don't think Cacapa and Bassong are as good as him (or Rozehnal either, in my opinion) and we could have done with another defender to boost the squad. However, fact is that our first choice pairing will be Taylor and Coloccini, and he would not have played that much. Overall, these are losses that aren't too big.

In: Jonas - has looked great so far. Guthrie looks a good player and I think can kick on. He's not the finished article yet but I think with regular football (evidently what we're going to give him) he can really develop. Coloccini is a class centre back, immense in Spain, great for Argentina, has looked good so far. Better than Faye, so makes up the loss, although again leaves a bit lacking in depth. Bassong looks to be adequate cover and hasn't seemed lost at sea and out of place when he's been thrown in, so clearly a good enough squad option. I'm excited about Xisco - think the scouting team have done their homework so far and am willing to trust them. Also, 9 goals in 14 starts for Depor is a good record last year, and while a bit of a risk I'm willing to bet my mortgage that he's better than Ameobi and Smith combined. Nacho is unknown, but he's a regular international for Uruguay and Valencia see enough in him to sign him and want an option on him for the future, so I'd say he's likely got something about him.

Overall, therefore, I believe that the squad has been improved. Not majorly, but we are looking at a better first team which will play a better brand of football than last year. This is what people asked for, the window may have been chaotic and evidently we've lost out on a few targets who would have been great, but the fact of the matter is we'r enot in Europe nor do we have megabucks to attract huge name players. I think we've done well (could have been better, but could have been much, much worse) and think we've got enough for top 8. The top 4 have better squads than us, I think Villa have a better first team than we do (although I'm keen to see Milner disappoint them all) and Man City in theory are going to be pretty awesome, but I don't believe that anybody really saw what happened to them this summer coming. I don't think Everton will be as good as they were last year, Portsmouth will probably be there or thereabouts but losing Muntari was a blow and I'm not sure they will be as good again this year. If their strike partnership kicks off they could be, mind.

Overall, good but could have done better - I think it's probably the case for the vast majority of Premier League teams. I think Liverpool have had a particularly poor window and I think Riera was very low down on their list of wingers to choose from - if Milner was apparently ahead of him, then he's not going to be a world beater. City have had a good window, as have Spurs, and Villa have strengthened a bit but not outrageously. We'll be fine.