The end of football as we know it? Where do we go from here?

Decky

We as in NUFC fans and we as in, well, the world of football basically. When teams like Chelsea and Man City can buy whoever whenever, where does that leave clubs like Villa, Everton etc? Can these teams ever compete if they arnt owned by a multi billionaire who is willing to spend spend spend? IMO wage caps and transfer caps need to be put in place, and fucking fast to stop them cunts at Man City.

well - all bubbles burst eventually - I can't see any of these mega owners being happy shelling out if they miss the CL a coupleof seasons in a row.  also its better to have a top 6 than a top 4 - that way they will take points off each other and allow a well managed, stable side like NUFC (cough, cough,cough...) their chance

I think that there is uncertainty in the business of football that will continue for the medium term (5 - 7 years).

The game is not changing as fast as the finances and that leaves the average supporter wondering where it will end up. It will take the 5 -7 years for the business side to sort itself out and normal operating will be established. When there are no more huge increases in broadcast rights and no more un-exploited markets we will have the "new" football and it will be more stable than it is now.

As for NUFC, when there is an upturn in the sporting goods business we may see more investment...

I was thinking this myself. There's a growing dissatisfaction about football amongst fans, a combination of overpaid underperforming players, a league where billionairre owners run the game. Previously the mantra was that money couldn't guarantee success, and examples like Jack Hayward at Wolves were rolled out. However, when you have an Abramovich or a Dubai consortium, the amounts available to spend are unprecedented, and it WILL GUARANTEE success. Man City getting Robinho shows that if you throw enough money at a player, they will sign. Do that with 20 players and you have the best squad in the league.

If the Dubai consortium spend like they seem to have started, there fill very quickly become a fixed top 2 - the Glaziers and Hicks won't be able to keep up, and Arsenal will very quickly fall away. They will be replaced by the next team to get a billionairre owner - possibly us, or quite equally Fulham, Portsmouth. QPR will be up there in 5 years. The league table will represent a list of the richest owners.

Even if it is us, I won't change my view - football as we know it is over, and the only solution I see is as the previous poster said, to have an overall squad salary cap.

Guest LucaAltieri

We can't afford the £30m+ players so we're focusing on developing young players here. It's a sound way of doing things if you have the right setup doing the buying.

It might be more exciting to be a Chelsea or a Man City but in terms of stability it's the best way to go...

...however it also helps if you can keep a hold of a manager for more than a season or two.

I'm thinking that this might be the end of football as we know it. It'll just get worse and turn in to a playground for people with too much money on their hands. Looking forward to 6 months of speculation about Robinho to Chelsea now that he's in England anyway.

We'll probably bring in another spaniard to replace Kev.

Certainly not the end of football, but its another 3 steps backwards to our one step forward recently.  While I wasn't thrilled that we failed to do more yesterday, I did consider our signings before yesterday as progress and indicative of the right kind of players to bring to the club.

Now we are mired in chaos again.  I will always support the toon.  Nothing will change that.  I am just shocked that this has been so mishandled yet again.  I know I shouldn't be, but I really felt like we had turned the madness corner for good.

Gutted.  Gutted.

J

We can't afford the £30m+ players so we're focusing on developing young players here. It's a sound way of doing things if you have the right setup doing the buying.

It might be more exciting to be a Chelsea or a Man City but in terms of stability it's the best way to go...

...however it also helps if you can keep a hold of a manager for more than a season or two.

Stable club basically means a mid table side without hope for progressing any further. We now effectively have a fixed top 5, if not this season then certainly by next. I reckon QPR will make it a top 6 in the next couple of years - their owners are richer than Abramovich

A sad day for all Newcastle fans.. I don't know what Ashley, Kevin and whoever else is involved are thinking, but that's taking the piss of the fans.. we don't deserve this and this situation could've been avoided if the responsible people gave a fuck about the millions who'll be left disillusioned after today..

I've lost all my faith in the club's management.. they can do whatever they want and I hope they fail at it, because I'll never associate myself with liars and cheap crooks.. I'll support Newcastle United till the end, but the people who represent it right now can fuck off and die as far as I'm concerned, because they don't deserve 1/10 of the support they've received.

Them who've taken over at City are going to have a hard time winning over anyone outside of their club. The way they are carrying on is a disgrace, a complete embarrassment for English football. Something needs to be done. A transfer cap for starters.

This shouldn't be a thread for slagging Ashley. If I'd fluked just over £1bn I wouldnt be paying all of it just to try and keep up with a £850bn owning owner for a club I didn't grow up with.

My view is that the only solution to this is a salary cap on sqauds. It wouldn't breach EU regulation (trust me, I'm a lawyer...) and the long term implications are a competitive league. Would Berbatov have joined Man Utd if he know that squad salary caps meant that the most he would ever be paid was £60,000 due to Rio/Ronaldo/Rooney still at the club? This is the only way in the long term that football will not lose the fan base. The worring thing is, I'm not sure it needs it in the very long term...

Lets wait and see how this develops, i mean many said the same about Citeh when the Thai took over, what if these investors just die and give all their heritage to newcastle for the sake off it!

Wow this is bad!

"And of course if the manager wants them"

That quote alone makes me doubly envious, they aren't just going to splash money on anyone, Mark Hughes is going to have a say on where it goes. Impressive tbh.

What are you on about?

It's not impressive in the slightest, it's completely common sense and they were never going to say anything different.

The Man City thing initially struck me as the usual bollocks which Ashley (or more accurately his rent a quote associates) came out with when he bought NUFC.

However the Robinho deal reminds me of what happened when Chelski arrived on the scene. This bloke means business, and now everyone else is fighting for 6th, which is great except that doesn't give european qualification.

Whilst the figures being talked about particularly with Man City are insane, is it that different to when millionaires ran football clubs and not billionaires? 10-15 years ago  millionaire owners were buying their way to success with signings like shearer for 15 million, now its billionaires buying 30 million players. Even going back to the amateur football days clubs were known to be paying players an extra 10 quid a week to make sure they had the best line ups to win the trophies. The game is getting worse because of stupid money, but i dont think its that drastic a change.

I do think a FIFA imposed wage and transfer cap is a great idea though, and would make it more about managing your club and the money instead of just throwing truck loads of cash at players.

Sorry - just posted the same thing in the "City ponder £135m Ronaldo bid" thread, but realise it probably fits better in here.

This latest development at Citeh is most unwelcome for the good of the game. If there's a parallel though, look to the dot come bubble, it burst eventually...I can't help wondering if the same could happen with speculative investors using football clubs as their executive toys. It's all a bit sickening when it gets to this sort of level though. Mike Ashley is one thing. This is quite another

Fifa really need to take a look at the NFL and the way that certain things are regulated.

If football isn't going to become completely dominated by money then we need:

A Salary Cap

A cap on the number of transfers allowed to be made during one window

A limit on a squad size

And most definately there needs to be a limit on the amount of foreign players in one premiership team

I've said for  years there should be a maximum squad size (including designated slots for homegrown players) and a wage cap. It's the only way football can carry on without imploding imo.

I'll still think that even if Kenwright sells up to the Sultan of Brunei tomorrow.