Solano to play for Peru again

sempuki

Solano confirms Peru return

By Patricio Figueroa -  Created on 27 Oct 2006

Peru midfielder Nolberto Solano has confirmed he will return from the international wilderness against Jamaica next month.

The Newcastle winger has not featured for his country since falling out with former Peru coach Freddy Ternero, but he has had a change of heart following talks with new manager Franco Navarro.

"I feel good about returning for the national team in the friendly with Jamaica and I would also like to play in the Copa America next year in Venezuela," said Solano.

"I have spoken with the coach Franco Navarro and we have reached an agreement for my return to the national team."

Such a move will come as a blow to Newcastle, as Solano will be jetting across the Atlantic to represent his country.

It is likely that Solano will not feature in all Peru's games, as he added: "We only have to agree with Newcastle which games I will play.

"I want to play against Jamaica and besides the problems that I had in other times I want to wear the national shirt again."

Solano is hopeful that Navarro has ironed out the problems of previous regimes.

"When I took the decision to not play for Peru it was because there wasn't any kind of plan and the players like me that travelled from Europe received all the criticism when the problem was that Peruvian football did not have any kind of organisation," he added.

Guest Imperio

Can't blame him for wanting to play for his country although he isn't getting any younger and won't be much use to us when he comes back knackered or even injured, such is our luck with international breaks.

taking the absolute ****ing piss tbh.

How? Was it taking the p*ss when Thuram & Zidane came out of international football for France? If he wants to play for his country again, good on him. It'll affect his Newcastle chances mind because we have a lot more competition for his position now than what we did first time.

How? Was it taking the p*ss when Thuram & Zidane came out of international football for France? If he wants to play for his country again, good on him. It'll affect his Newcastle chances mind because we have a lot more competition for his position now than what we did first time.

You are forgetting why it was a problem before. He would come back from South America on the Thursday of Friday before a match and would be heavily jet-lagged and thus would either have to be on the bench or not play at all.

You are forgetting why it was a problem before. He would come back from South America on the Thursday of Friday before a match and would be heavily jet-lagged and thus would either have to be on the bench or not play at all.

Which is why I said the last sentence. That's a risk he'll take because in his first spell, there was more of an urgency to get him in the team because he was one of our best players. Now, although he's still important to us, we have more options.

When they did it, it was because their country was struggling and it was generally accepted that they would help revitalise the team for the World Cup (I think that was proved right).  Solano has yo-yoed between retirement and playing for years now.  I have no idea how much he has personally affected his team's plight but, for him to fall out with the previous manager, I would assume he wasn't collecting Ballon d'or's in any major competition.

Guest Invicta_Toon

seriously?

you're comparing playing for France with Peru?

you're comparing Thuram & Zidane to Solano?

I understand why he has gone and done this but its not what we need from him, I agree now no new contract for Nobby.

Its what pissed SBR off so much with him, going all that way for nothing games and we would lose him for  our next 2 - 3 games.