Players Coming Through - Youth System

kane2005

Seemed to be a big issue of buying young talent and creating a good youth team and reserve team , to give these players the chance to prove themselves there first.

Well after going to SJP on Monday , and watching the reserves and u18 team pre-season , there isn't much hope for many of them. With the exception of Nile Ranger who i thought was very sharp , great with the ball at his feet , big , strong and powerful , Ben Tozer who seems decent enough , but may need another year in the reserves , Lua Lua who has always been a bright spark when he comes on for the 1st team , there aint really much to shout about.

I deliberatley watch the swede's kicking , and oh my god , what a laugh we have. Anyone who went to the Training Day thing , take any notice of it? Or watch him at half time on Monday Night?

Zamblera was very poor , Frank Wiafe Danquah has his good and bad moments but not good enough to make it into the first team yet , David Edgar = Championship Player.

Do you think our youth policy has improved THAT much , if it has , why aren't these players given a chance on the big stage?

Whats the point in aiming to bring through good young players because by the time they start playing well some one will make a decent bid for them and we'll just sell em.

Whats the point in aiming to bring through good young players because by the time they start playing well some one will make a decent bid for them and we'll just sell em.

Who have we sold then? If you mean Milner I would rather have the £12mill thanks

Thats not what i was saying really maybe i worded it badly. I mean its not like we're Arsenal who are a big enough team to keep the players they turn into stars, but if that happened here i feel they would just end up going to one of the big four. E.g Rooney from Everton to Man United.

Guest Stephen927

I agree, I most cases by the time they reach 20 or so, and they haven't shown significant improvement, then they need to be moved on as soon as possible, mostly for their own benefit.

Haven't seen a lot of reserves games tbh, so I'm not able to judge anyone of them.

The quality of our reserves is an issue I brought up before in pre season when we opened up with tonkings at Newcastle Benfield and scraped a draw with Gateshead.

We have very little in reserve atm, which puts further pressure on our paper thin first team squad.

Guest Heneage

Its funny with him. He is in Italys U19's and is a good player no denying that, but hes on a big contract from us, and was apparently very much a token signing by Wise to be like "Our Big Italian Prospect".

Guest Walking in a waddle wonde

A little bit off topic but not really, Ashley said Wise was in charge of signing 6 youths a season. Didn't mention anything at all about him doing anything else. So other than the gutter press going on about it, why is everyone going off their rocker about Wise in any other aspect of the club? Not that I like the bloke but its really pissing me off! Maybe everything is really pissing me off. :lol:

Only seen Zamblero twice and got to say he's been very poor in both games.

Godsmark isn't good enough, he's quite quick but is too small and not good enough.

The reserve team played poor on Monday night but it was missing Carrol, Lua Lua, Baheng and Kadar and them 4 players make a huge difference to that side.

I've said for ages that the policy that the club has gone down for the last couple of years of playing players above their age groups hasn't worked. 

Did we ever make certain that we signed Spear from Plymouth? Said to be the new Rooney, don't worry, we'll turn him into the new Brayson.

He played for the Under 16's on Saturday, went off with an injury.

Kadar, Krul, Lua Lua, Tozer and Baheng looked good last year.

Zamberla should start getting settled this season, hopefully he can improve. Ranger seems to be getting rave reviews, he did a Southampton too but blew it down there.

Not sure about Danquah and as mentioned Edgar is ever looking a championship player, we should be loaning him come January if we get proper cover for the first team in.

Johnnypd has a valid point about the players development though. That should be something Money and Wise will fix, should be.