Will we revert to the 4-3-1-2?

Shak

Assuming that KK stays, do you think we'll move back to the system that looked so good towards the end of last season? The sale of Milner and addition of Xisco would indicate that this may be on the cards as far as I can see. The personnel at our disposal is now ideal as far as I can see.

Nothing much changes at the back obviously, still a flat back 4.

In midfield we should see Guthrie take Butt's role as the sitter. Guthrie seems defensively switched on and is more inclined to sit rather than bomb forward so the role should suit him. He'll be a huge upgrade when we're in possession, as Butt saw an awful lot of the ball in the system last year. Given how comfortable Guthrie is receiving the ball and how solid is distribution is, I think he'll excel in this spot. Butt should provide very capable back-up in the spot.

Jonas looks perfect to play one of the flanking roles. He's got the engine to get up and down the field all day long and will be able to provide a lot more width from the position than Geremi did last year. He's also defensively very good, a necessity in the role. When Barton returns I would expect he'll play on the right hand side of Guthrie with Jonas on the left. Thought Joey looked good in his role last season, and on the right you'd have to figure he'd be even better as he'd be more comfortable getting out wide on his right foot. The wildcard is N'Zogbia, as he COULD be good in one of those roles, though it's hard to tell. Playing LB will have helped him from a defensive point of view, and he generally does look decent running with the ball through the middle. Really needs to improve his awareness of his teammates though if he's to be a success in the middle, but I think being part of a 3 man midfield might suit him. Geremi is decent back-up in these positions.

The signing of Xisco should be the competition/replacement that we needed for Viduka, and either of thse two should partner Martins up top. Personally I think Duff's best spot these days will be playing in a sort of wide striker role, so I'm happy enough with him as back-up for Oba.

These options up front allow Owen to go back to what I firmly believe is his best position, playing as the link man just off the front two. From the sound of things Nacho could fill in this role if Owen gets injured? Or if Oba gets injured stick Owen up front and play Nacho?

Smith can fuck off, obviously.

Anyway, really hope we give this a go against Hull.

Given

Beye    :colo:    Taylor    Enrique

:jonas:    Guthrie    N'Zogbia

Owen

Martins            Xisco

http://pictures.directnews.co.uk/liveimages/Premiership+Trophy_1150_18232447_0_0_4000298_300.jpg

In the bag.

A tad lightweight in the midfield area

How so?

Jonas is easily as physical as either Barton or Geremi, and N'Zogbia's hardly a skinny fucker by any means. Add to that that you've an extra body in the center and I can't see us getting overpowered.

Beyewatch, Guthrie is hardly a box-to-box player is he? Seems like an ideal sitter as he doesn't have the engine to get forward enough, not really a goalthreat. Not sure he reads the game defensively as well as Butt but his superior ability on the ball makes up for it IMO.

A tad lightweight in the midfield area

How so?

Jonas is easily as physical as either Barton or Geremi, and N'Zogbia's hardly a skinny fucker by any means. Add to that that you've an extra body in the center and I can't see us getting overpowered.

Beyewatch, Guthrie is hardly a box-to-box player is he? Seems like an ideal sitter as he doesn't have the engine to get forward enough, not really a goalthreat. Not sure he reads the game defensively as well as Butt but his superior ability on the ball makes up for it IMO.

Would like to see it tested out, no doubt. Just abit worried

Assuming that KK stays, do you think we'll move back to the system that looked so good towards the end of last season? The sale of Milner and addition of Xisco would indicate that this may be on the cards as far as I can see. The personnel at our disposal is now ideal as far as I can see.

Nothing much changes at the back obviously, still a flat back 4.

In midfield we should see Guthrie take Butt's role as the sitter. Guthrie seems defensively switched on and is more inclined to sit rather than bomb forward so the role should suit him. He'll be a huge upgrade when we're in possession, as Butt saw an awful lot of the ball in the system last year. Given how comfortable Guthrie is receiving the ball and how solid is distribution is, I think he'll excel in this spot. Butt should provide very capable back-up in the spot.

Jonas looks perfect to play one of the flanking roles. He's got the engine to get up and down the field all day long and will be able to provide a lot more width from the position than Geremi did last year. He's also defensively very good, a necessity in the role. When Barton returns I would expect he'll play on the right hand side of Guthrie with Jonas on the left. Thought Joey looked good in his role last season, and on the right you'd have to figure he'd be even better as he'd be more comfortable getting out wide on his right foot. The wildcard is N'Zogbia, as he COULD be good in one of those roles, though it's hard to tell. Playing LB will have helped him from a defensive point of view, and he generally does look decent running with the ball through the middle. Really needs to improve his awareness of his teammates though if he's to be a success in the middle, but I think being part of a 3 man midfield might suit him. Geremi is decent back-up in these positions.

The signing of Xisco should be the competition/replacement that we needed for Viduka, and either of thse two should partner Martins up top. Personally I think Duff's best spot these days will be playing in a sort of wide striker role, so I'm happy enough with him as back-up for Oba.

These options up front allow Owen to go back to what I firmly believe is his best position, playing as the link man just off the front two. From the sound of things Nacho could fill in this role if Owen gets injured? Or if Oba gets injured stick Owen up front and play Nacho?

Smith can fuck off, obviously.

Anyway, really hope we give this a go against Hull.

Given

Beye     :colo:    Taylor    Enrique

:jonas:    Guthrie    N'Zogbia

Owen

Martins            Xisco

http://pictures.directnews.co.uk/liveimages/Premiership+Trophy_1150_18232447_0_0_4000298_300.jpg

In the bag.

Nice formation and a delightful use of smilies.