Sunderland could be the next Leeds United ?

Benwell Lad

According to some business analyst on radio this evening. Apparently their wage bill is astronomical and way out of line with revenues. Relegation would finish them off this time.

Bearing in mind their gates are already below 40K this season despite man City bringing a huge following, Keane may be under real pressure for the first time if results don't go their way.

At least their previous regime prepared for relegation and always had contingencies in place.

I don't think this is an appropriate time to look at Sunlun and speculate what may happen to them, let alone have some fun at their expense. They have strengthened their squad quite significantly, to the extent where they don't realistically need to prepare for relegation, and I think most people would agree they seem to be moving in the right direction.

According to some business analyst on radio this evening. Apparently their wage bill is astronomical and way out of line with revenues. Relegation would finish them off this time.

Bearing in mind their gates are already below 40K this season despite man City bringing a huge following, Keane may be under real pressure for the first time if results don't go their way.

At least their previous regime prepared for relegation and always had contingencies in place.

No, no and NO.

We all know Quinn and the Irish are better than Ashley and the Cockerneys. Their house is all in order despite spunking £14m on two average defenders...despite the last few days, give us Ashley, Keegan, Owen, Martins, Jonas, etc. anyday over Quinn, Keane, Cisse, Diouf & Richardson.

Benwell your constant slagging off Sunderland is great if you ask me. It is classic hatred which I like to see compared to this nubreed obsession with Spurs.

I grew up in era when Spurs got Waddle & Gazza off us, never mind piped us to sign 2 average players compared to them two :razz:

I don't think this is an appropriate time to look at Sunlun and speculate what may happen to them, let alone have some fun at their expense. They have strengthened their squad quite significantly, to the extent where they don't realistically need to prepare for relegation, and I think most people would agree they seem to be moving in the right direction.

Quite right. My brother-in-law is thrilled to bits at the way they've moved forward since they came up.

He also said that whilst they're still a couple of players away from being a pretty good team, the difference in the standard of football they play now is phenomenal. Early days yet obviously.

No, no and NO.

We all know Quinn and the Irish are better than Ashley and the Cockerneys. Their house is all in order despite spunking £14m on two average defenders...despite the last few days, give us Ashley, Keegan, Owen, Martins, Jonas, etc. anyday over Quinn, Keane, Cisse, Diouf & Richardson.

The pair of them are scummy wankers but Quinn always comes across with a bit of class when I see him interviewed. As for Keane when I listen to him pre-match or talking about football in general he always seems on the money to me, post match after a loss he  is still the same miserable twat he was at Man Ure.

I think its a great time to look at scumberland...if just to remind ourselves we ARE a great football club.

Guest optimistic nit

i think sunderland's business play could come crashing down in 2-3 years. they spend a lot of money after being prompoted, on shit, that as O-Nut point out in another thread cant be moved on and will just sit there costing them money. i see that happening next season as well. say they finish 13th-16th, what i would predict at this point, to improve their team to top 10, a lot of their current squad players will have to go. they will need to sign about 6 players i think to be a team that could finish in between 6th and 12th (i.e. chasing pack, i'm putting citeh in the pack for now, as it looks like thats where they will be) and thats really the bare minimum.

those players will cost more money than their worth, because sunderland pay over the odds, and they'll want higher wages than the rest, because they are better players. they'll then need to do the same thing next season if they want europe.

it could end badly for them i fear.

Lets get our own house in order first BL.

Only passing on what some business analyst said.

Anyway Sky etc full of emails and texts from mischievous mackems pretending to be NUFC fans, so best they know what the consequences for their own failure may be.

Guest Heneage

I was going to say how funny it is the ratio of SAFC/NUFC threads on the opposing respective boards.

Obviously if they get relegated they'll be screwed but I dont see that happening to be totally honest. They've more than enough to quality to get 15th at least.

As for Mischievious Mackems, let them, it used to frustrate me when they would turn any Toon story into a negative, some with justification others with jealousy, but im not bothered.

Guest Gallowgate Mag

They'll be fine. Leeds needed to be in the top 4, Sunderland need to not be in the bottom 3. Even if they are, they'd take the TV money and ship out the high earners.

Guest optimistic nit

i've got to say i do like Quinn, and i do think keane is a good, if unstable manager (like keegan). i'd like quinn here, although he wouldn't come for obvious reasons. their problem is that they have too much ambition and too little patience. their trying to do too much too quickly and they have just ended up not being able to attract the quality they need so they've spent their fortune on a lot of average players on twice as much as they should be.

sunderland have got quite a bit better short term, but could be a bit fucked long term. the real problem is they have hardly any saleable assets. the only player of theirs i'd spend over 5million on is gordon, and i'd still not pay the 9 they paid for him.

Benwell your constant slagging off Sunderland is great if you ask me. It is classic hatred which I like to see compared to this nubreed obsession with Spurs.

I grew in era when Spurs got Waddle & Gazza off us, never mind piped us to sign 2 average players compared to them two :razz:

I've always enjoyed the old Newcastle/Sunderland rivalry like any north eastern fan. Funnily enough I actually liked their previous managers Reid and MacCarthy who were true football men. My dislike of them definitely got worse when they hired the leg breaking, country betraying Keane to manage them. And then when they signed Chimbonda and the hockler..............

In fairness I think they finally made a good signing when they got MacCartney back.

I'm not saying they will go down, or even that I hope that they will go down for that matter, just saying that some financial business analyst has said they will be in big trouble IF they go down.

but they have a much better squad of players and are looking more likely to stay up ?

Much better than "preparing for relegation" don't you think ?

but they have a much better squad of players and are looking more likely to stay up ?

Much better than "preparing for relegation" don't you think ?

Definitely.

Unless they were to get relegated of course. But as you say that's unlikely.

i think sunderland's business play could come crashing down in 2-3 years. they spend a lot of money after being prompoted, on s***, that as O-Nut point out in another thread cant be moved on and will just sit there costing them money. i see that happening next season as well. say they finish 13th-16th, what i would predict at this point, to improve their team to top 10, a lot of their current squad players will have to go. they will need to sign about 6 players i think to be a team that could finish in between 6th and 12th (i.e. chasing pack, i'm putting citeh in the pack for now, as it looks like thats where they will be) and thats really the bare minimum.

those players will cost more money than their worth, because sunderland pay over the odds, and they'll want higher wages than the rest, because they are better players. they'll then need to do the same thing next season if they want europe.

it could end badly for them i fear.

Sweet bejesus. If a club wants to move up the Premiership table they need to invest, now more so than ever. I don't even think their current strategy is more risky than a cautious one where they risk relegation by investing less because if they did relegate it would be more difficult than ever coming back up. If their owners have the spending power, they are absolutely doing the right thing ensuring they keep up.

Has our own lack of ambition deluded some fans into thinking ambition is a bad thing?

Guest optimistic nit

ambition isn't a bad thing but if we spent 20million on aaron lennon just because we needed a right winger we'd be stupid. thats, in my opinion, what sunderland are doing. they need players, but they're paying way over the odds because better ones aren't available or wont come. and in 2-3 years, when they still need just as many players to improve as they did last season it'll come back to them.

investing isn't a bad thing, but sunderland are getting anyone who could come and improve their squad and paying them twice as much as their worth, and while it may not hurt them much this season in a couple of seasons i cant see them being able to afford giving, say, upson, a 60K a week contract when their already giving ferdinand 50K. or say lennon, a 100K a week contract when malbranque is already getting 70K.

because these players will want more than the other members of the squad who are not as good as them.

Paying (slightly) over the odds to get players of a quality level that help the club progress but wouldnt perhaps have come due to the club currently being less attractive due to a few mediocre seasons, geographic location, no European football or whatever is exactly what we should have been doing more these last couple of months. Investment doesn't guarantee succes, but it certainly increases the likelihood of it.

Guest optimistic nit

their not just paying slightly over the odds though.

dont get me wrong, i think sunderland have improved, but i just cant see them being able to match that level of investment next year while still paying for this lot.

their not just paying slightly over the odds though.

dont get me wrong, i think sunderland have improved, but i just cant see them being able to match that level of investment next year while still paying for this lot.

How do you know how much their owners will be willing to splash next season? From what they've done this transfer window I would suggest it's pretty clear they have set their sights high and are willing to invest accordingly.

Oh, and didn't they spend a lot last season as well, only the level of player they could attract was lower because they had only just come up and were prime candidates to go down. As they continue to progress they will be able to attract a higher profile of player, and seeing as they've spent big in every major transfer window since their takeover I would like to know what makes you think it will stop soon?