Can a Director of Football work in English Football

Colos Short and Curlies
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The role of the manager has been in the news recently due to Keegan and Curbishley.

The ADU takeover at Citeh also had repurcussions for Hughes with the men behind the money bidding for all and sundry.

So can this new environment work in the Premier League - it works to varying degrees of success - and consider the role of the most successful manger in England..

He doesn't take training, he only gets involved in player negotiations at the latter stages, he has a member of staff in place to do every job he wants. All he does is identify players, shape tactics and manage on a Saturday. In many ways a DoF role I would say (I'll give you that the Saturday activities fall outside a DoF remit).

Guest The Corner

I think it could work if given time with the right people. I dont think we stood/stand a chance of getting success out of it as the media have refused to try to understand how it works and have used it as a negative against us since the day wise came in, even after mort came out and told everyone about the new structure of the club

So which clubs have a director of football - us, west ham, spurs

and which dont - villa, everton, man utd, liverpool, arsenal, blackburn

Gordon Milne knew Robson and was appointed by him. he was essentially a chief scout. that is the kind of situation that can work.

it can also work if the DoF is clearly the man in charge and runs the club from top to bottom, essentially a football person taking the role of a traditional chairman. this way he appoints the manager. but the manager probably has to be from abroad where they are more used to the director - head coach system. its totally different to what british managers are used to so with them it probably spells disaster.

Gordon Milne knew Robson and was appointed by him. he was essentially a chief scout. that is the kind of situation that can work.

it can also work if the DoF is clearly the man in charge and runs the club from top to bottom, essentially a football person taking the role of a traditional chairman. this way he appoints the manager. but the manager probably has to be from abroad where they are more used to the director - head coach system. its totally different to what british managers are used to so with them it probably spells disaster.

i'd guess all the DoF in england have differing remits.

No, not in the English game.

The English are too wrapped up their ways and traditions. The manager is iconic, he picks the team, he brings in the quality and bins those who aren't good enough.

It's a direction worth considering, but one that will never truly work in this country.

Ofcourse it can work, but only between 2 of the right people. Clubs just take a manager, take a DOF and they slap them together, then they're surprised when there are tensions. They need to have a good working relationship.

The English are too wrapped up their ways and traditions. The manager is iconic, he picks the team, he brings in the quality and bins those who aren't good enough.

It's a direction worth considering, but one that will never truly work in this country.

Lot of truth in that iyam.

What is the norm on the continent may simply never catch on over here. And I'd be glad if it doesn't tbh.

Martin Jol didnt like it either and he's as English as Steve Mcclaren is dutch, and even Mourinho struggled when someone else started buying players for him.

Saying it works in Spain and Italy is daft as they are well known for running clubs poorly in comparison to English clubs.

Martin Jol didnt like it either and he's as English as Steve Mcclaren is dutch, and even Mourinho struggled when someone else started buying players for him.

Saying it works in Spain and Italy is daft as they are well known for running clubs poorly in comparison to English clubs.

Yet martin Jol was happy with it when everyone was licking his balls for finishing in the top 5 a few times.

When his style of football got found out and Spurs started to struggle, it became the perfect excuse for him.

Clear levels of job description that can't be manipulated by the press.

Its a sad day that the media can manipulate such bull and morph a man's job into something its not. sickens me.

I think it could work given clear indication of the roles and boundaries. and sadly, it would almost need to be stated at the announcement what the DoF would be there for and who he answers to. Thats the only way it would work for me. Any unanswered questions is instant material for the snakes who write in the papers.

When it comes to transfers, it should be the manger's and only the manager's choice on who comes in or who goes out, otherwise he is not completely responsible for what happens. We've seen what has happened with Keegan and Curbs and it's justified for them to be unhappy at what is going on behind the scenes. Tbh I think the only way the club would succeed with a DoF is if they have a "yes man" for a manager.

It will happen, over time more and more clubs will move towards the system, although I do believe the manager still needs significant input into transfers.

The 'English game' is no longer English at the top level anyway. Most of the owners, managers and players are from overseas.

Lot of truth in that iyam.

What is the norm on the continent may simply never catch on over here. And I'd be glad if it doesn't tbh.

Benitez and Ramos are two examples of iirc who had problems with the system while working abroad.

The managers role in the English game is unique and the managers relationship at a lot of clubs is deeper. Personally I see nothing wrong with that. This whole idea of 'coaches', DOF's, Executive Dir etc... and whatnot will never really catch on here.